Help getting into comics

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
Hey all

I am very new in the comic scene and I would like to get into it. As an Artist myself, I really admire the Art and time that are put into comics, I even participated in a comic workshop which was an experience learning about it all.

I would like to start buying comics regularly like monthly and need some guidance where to start as I haven't a notion as obviously issues have been out for so long I don't think it would be easy for me to find a first issue to start buying and reading. Is there such thing as monthly subscriptions on a particular comic?

Right this minute Captain America really appeals to me but there seem to be all sorts of different series in the comic world for a certain character etc and I don't know where to look.

Do let me know if there are other monthly comic series that are just recently released for me to catch up easily on

Hope this thread made sense to you

Comments

• scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the same place as you a few months ago, and then I decided to subscribe to "The Marvel Graphic Novel Collection". Its the best thing I ever done, the hardback Graphic Novels are the best of the best (and it comes in 60 parts, so it will be an amazing collection).

Well worth checking out and back-ordering, as we're only on issue 5 now (each book released fortnightly). I'm loving it, and each hardback contains a complete story, so contains many issues per book.

Its a good play to start.

:) Mark
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you want to collect the comics, or just read the comics?

If you want to own the comics then Forbidden Planet will post out copies to you, but they're expensive. If you have a local comic shop (probably a Forbidden Planet) then they should lay them over for you - they may want paid up front for several issues. It depends.

If you want to read the comics then there are apps on iOS (iPads, iPhones) that will let you download issues, generally cheaper than the paper copies, sometimes a lot cheaper - but I wouldn't want to view these on anything smaller than an iPad. I think you can also download PDFs direct from the Marvel and DC websites, but I've not tried that.

Honestly, if you have a local comic shop that's your best place to start.

It's difficult to get definitive advice because there are hundreds of comics and everyone has their own ideas what's great and what isn't. Also, even the two biggies, DC and Marvel, have content that ranges from kid-friendly to gorefest, and then there's the likes of "The Boys" from Garth Ennis which is sublime and likely ending this year (potential to collect all the trade paperbacks by Xmas 2012? Maybe...) but pushes boundaries.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id suggest forbidden planet (website), they sell tonnes of comics, and dc recently rebooted its universe starting with 52 new number one issues, id suggest researching characters and see which ones take your fancy.
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, specifically on Captain America - there are two main lines going on at Marvel right now (I'm not a Marvel expert by any means, but you pick this stuff up by osmosis.) the "regular" line of comics that honours the past, to an extent. So something that happened twenty years ago in the comics will be acknowledged as historical fact (regardless that it may be impossible to actually fit so many historical events into the mythical timescale of a character who never gets out of their thirties... I digress.)

Then there is the Marvel Ultimate timeline which is an alternative timeline that was a more recent re-boot. Captain America is a member of the Ultimates in this universe, and it's pretty much the universe the recent films are based off... more or less. The Ultimates are equivalent to the original timeline Avengers, except in the movie the Ultimates are called the Avengers. Hmm. I should stop "explaining" this.

As well as the Ultimates Captain America, I think there's also a Captain America and Bucky timeline being run which is set in WWII - again, this is from memory (I'm trying to look like I'm working here...) but don't let the same character appearing in multiple comics put you off - in general you don't have to buy multiple comics - any crossover action will be sign-posted and explained, if it happens at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Hey thanks to all those who replied! :)

Scooby1970, I just checked out the The Marvel Graphic Novel Collection you mentioned now that looks good! Somewhere for me to start if I consider this route

Dadioflex, I think at this rate I would like to read them, not to collect as I have too many other collectable hobbies *Rolls eyes* HAH! I have been to forbidden planet yesterday and got myself couple of bundle packs for a £1 each to have a look at range of comics but generally comics are kinda expensive there and far too many to look, I also went to a retro comic shops so many vintage comics and again I was overwhelmed by the volumes and was too much to look for there. I am gonna treat myself to an iPad 3 when its out so digital copies is an option to look at as I see Marvel comics are now avail in apple ibook store

Adzpower, The new DC 52's will they reintroduce the first novel of Captain America or is it just a reintroducing of the first of the first comic novel whatever the story or character it is?

Dadioflex, cheers for your explanation on Captain America, there is a lot to take in, in the comic world haha!
  • metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i__drew wrote: »

Adzpower, The new DC 52's will they reintroduce the first novel of Captain America or is it just a reintroducing of the first of the first comic novel whatever the story or character it is?

Dadioflex, cheers for your explanation on Captain America, there is a lot to take in, in the comic world haha!

Captain America is from the Marvel Universe which is different to the DC universe, so the new DC52 won't have anything Captain America.