Sir Bruce Retires!

1789101113»

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He said he was leaving cause " Iam running out of new jokes to come of with" Has there been any new ones? :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27020170
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    A lot of the columnists have failed to see the situation as it is with the many dance fans out there.
    Bruce was quite frankly, a pain in the arse for the last few years, who had to be managed by those around him.
    They don't want another high profile presenter, who will try to make it his version of "Sunday Night at the Palladium."
    Claudia and Tess may be a bit Marmite to some, but at least they did a better job than the old codger when he was on "senility leave" and weren't in your face.

I've said all last year that Bruce wouldn't be coming back. The "deal breaker" was the few "moments" he had last year.
    The BBC would have heeded the warning, as they wouldn't want another "Tommy Cooper tragedy" it would be hard for the show to recover from that.
    So he wasn't offered another contract, though he was allowed to say it was his own decision to leave. It would be as simple as that.

This. ^ :(
  • denver23denver23 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    They could always get Dale Winton in ...

:D

Can't tell if you are serious or not but I don't think he would be a bad choice at all - surprised he has not been mentioned more often. Have heard some comments recently though that he does not look too well so health notwithstanding I'd even go as far as to say he would be on my short list.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming that a camp man would be suitable, I'd love it to be Julian Clarey.
  • denver23denver23 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Absolutely true.

The presenter should really be someone who knows how to fade into the background, not hog the screen.

The show is all about dancers and Judges; not some fading has-been, not some brash and abrasive personality, just someone who can get on with job as unobtrusively as possible.

If that is the criteria then I give you none other than Angela Rippon - I realise she is not young but she is not old either but always found her very likeable and knows dancing. Doubt she'd get it though - or would accept if offered!
    Really don't want Graham Norton - fine on his chat show but like Bruce, could make it all about him.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denver23 wrote: »
    Can't tell if you are serious or not but I don't think he would be a bad choice at all - surprised he has not been mentioned more often. Have heard some comments recently though that he does not look too well so health notwithstanding I'd even go as far as to say he would be on my short list.

Well he is an experienced BBC host, of quiz shows though, but I wouldn't rule him out nor would I disappointed if he were to take over.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As is so often the case, another thoughtful and sensible post from you DR.

What were the 'moments?' I thought he was dreadful all the way through and it must have been a nightmare for the producers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissT10 wrote: »
    Absolutely, why bring in an unknown quantity? Claudia has shown that she can do the job.

'can do the job' is not enough. I don't dislike Claudia but think she does her best work in small intimate situations with one-to-ones. The glitz and glamour of SCD is just not her. I think the BBC should get a completely new team and give the show a breath of fresh air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [Gethin and Matt are both completely and utterly wet. Has anybody forgotten Matt and the Jubille Pageant?
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member

He marked his card on a Live show many years ago, so very unlikely to be allowed to host Strictly.
    Unfortunately the likes of Garry Bushell and the DM have long memories.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'can do the job' is not enough. I don't dislike Claudia but think she does her best work in small intimate situations with one-to-ones. The glitz and glamour of SCD is just not her. I think the BBC should get a completely new team and give the show a breath of fresh air.

Fresh air?

We get "fresh" competitors each year.

It's what the show's about not who is "in your face" between them.
    Claudia and Tess managed three shows on their own, coped well and the ratings improved, or did you miss those weeks?
    They'll do and it'll save the licence payers' having to shell out for another high profile name.

Each year the producers come up with "fresh stuff" they say is to improve the show, but the added hype makes it more like the X-Factor.
    Time to get rid of the "add-ons" and concentrate on dance and training footage.
    Forum Member
    Fresh air?

We get "fresh" competitors each year.

It's what the show's about not who is "in your face" between them.
    Claudia and Tess managed three shows on their own, coped well and the ratings improved, or did you miss those weeks?
    They'll do and it'll save the licence payers' having to shell out for another high profile name.

Each year the producers come up with "fresh stuff" they say is to improve the show, but the added hype makes it more like the X-Factor.
    Time to get rid of the "add-ons" and concentrate on dance and training footage.

Is there any way we can get you onto the Board of the BBC Trust, so you can grab the producers by the short and curlies and get them to see sense ???

Years ago when Jonathan Ross took over the Film programme from Barry Norman, there was a lot of press hoo-haa.
    The only response from the BBC (or it may have been Ross himself) was that they screen tested several candidates, and he was the best.

The replacement for Bruce will be decided the same way.
    If Tess stays as well, then they will do screen tests with her and the prospective candidates, and the best one will get the job. End of.
    I would imagine a decision like this will go "high up" the BBC for final approval.

Maybe DS wombles with connections at Elstree might be able to find out who is being screen tested.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    He marked his card on a Live show many years ago, so very unlikely to be allowed to host Strictly.

Suppose you are right. :(

He did win CBB though.:D
    Forum Member
    Suppose you are right. :(

He did win CBB though.:D

Agree - Personally I think he would be good - but the unfortunate history rules him out
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any way we can get you onto the Board of the BBC Trust, so you can grab the producers by the short and curlies and get them to see sense ???

Years ago when Jonathan Ross took over the Film programme from Barry Norman, there was a lot of press hoo-haa.
    The only response from the BBC (or it may have been Ross himself) was that they screen tested several candidates, and he was the best.

The replacement for Bruce will be decided the same way.
    If Tess stays as well, then they will do screen tests with her and the prospective candidates, and the best one will get the job. End of.
    I would imagine a decision like this will go "high up" the BBC for final approval.

Maybe DS wombles with connections at Elstree might be able to find out who is being screen tested.

My biggest concern (well... that's an overstatement..it's just a telly programme) is that the BBC will think that another high profile "name" will increase the ratings. After all, that always seems to be their main concern and ("the ruination of TV").

In which case the opportunity, to lose some of the "hype" and get the show back to when I thought it more enjoyable a few years ago, will be lost.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

It's not 1998 anymore.
    Agree - Personally I think he would be good - but the unfortunate history rules him out

He hosted a live Lottery show on primetime BBC ONE in 2005, it really isn't an issue.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/comeandhaveago/about.shtml