Quick easy way to make the US version even better

starrystarry Posts: 12,434
Forum Member
✭✭
It is the best version now that CH5 destroyed the British one but it could be even better.

Just get rid of all the DR scenes.

1 We all know they just read a script and it sounds like it. They aren't good actors and the jokes are normally very lame.

2 They just state obvous things about the game for casual viewers and state things we have already seen for viewers with the attention span of a gnat.

3 They just hammer home whatever story the producers want to feed us. The story is already clear enough through the editing without an idiots guide to it being added in the DR.

It will make us all feel a bit more intelligent if they just remove these literally stupid segments from the show.

Comments

• BadmkBadmk Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is they don't have a narrator to tell us what is going on like other versions of BB so they use the diary room segments as a narration and also inform us of the motives behind the decision etc. I quite like them especially when they contradict what they have promised outside the DR love the deception. But I agree the contrived ones like Jordan and Rachel last year, and Boogie and Frank this year are cringeful!
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They normally just state what we have already seen or heard in the house, virtually all of them I find redundant. If they actually did contain HMs giving their thoughts than than just reading scripts it might be different, but it's obvious they will never do that. They want the control the fakeness gives them. Really dumbs down the show.
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DR stuff is one of my favourite aspects of the show. Lolol
  • Shine_OnShine_On Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, keep the DR's, I prefer the Houseguest narration and the show is contrived anyway.

I do think they could massively improve the show though if they really wanted to and keep the HoH / Veto stuff, they're all pretty obvious if you're a fan of either BBAU / BBUK, but they only need a few hours of footage for TV a week so it's probably not worth it to them.
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of them are annoying but I wouldn't get rid of them completely. Just less of them really.

If there weren't any DRs at all then Big Brother 12 would have been even harder to get through with no Britney Diary Room sarcasm. :D
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think the BBUS is really well edited and put together. The production values are very good.:) Yes the diary room segments do seem scripted but they don't actually bother me.

The only things that annoy me sometimes is the little comedy montages they sometimes have. Can't think of any this year but the Jordan "I'm so dumb" or J & J "We're so adorable" montages from last year were awful.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    Personally I think the BBUS is really well edited and put together. The production values are very good.:) Yes the diary room segments do seem scripted but they don't actually bother me.

The only things that annoy me sometimes is the little comedy montages they sometimes have. Can't think of any this year but the Jordan "I'm so dumb" or J & J "We're so adorable" montages from last year were awful.:p

Yes there what I was on about. But I dont know whetehr it was the content or just Jeff and Jordan that I didnt like about them. To be honest BB13 was very contrived when all the two "couples" were concerened. BB14 has been much better in my opinion.
  • RenThrayskRenThraysk Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBUSA Ceremonies are the most irritating thing for me.

Totally scripted and choreographed, the pleas before voting a totally useless, or them looking at the board before nominations, and the key lock thing they get out for nominations, wtf is that all about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ceremonies are pretty essential to the game (unlike the DRs). They could certainly make it more improvised though. The silly bit where they look at the wall of faces before the ceremony always makes me cringe, they do it even when we know what will happen anyway.

I think people just accept the DRs as they are used to them,but for most of those newer to the show I'm sure they must grate. They pick HGs who are terrible at acting,and the lack of subtlety in the script from the producers can be mindnumbing. I didn't find Britney that funny,and the goodbye message to Boogie was so stilted and badly acted.

Much more unobtrusive for continuity would be just a brief voice over comment. It would mean less time wasted in the show as well as the DRs really are pointless, as pointless as the often similarly mindnumbing interview continuities on The Amazing Race. Both seem to be put into the shows for the casual viewers who know nothing about the show or who need things repeated as they have zero attention span.
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally enjoyed Britney's goodbye message.

I don't think the housemates are given a script as such. No past housemate has ever mentioned been given a script. The DR just "suggests" what they should talk about, they tell them to narrate what happened ie in earlier competitions and the like. So yes, they could do with less of those.

But I don't want to get rid of them completely. We'd miss stuff like Michelle (BB10) and Chima going ballistic in the DR.

Plus the over the top editing and production of BBUSA has kind of become part of its charm I think. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have got used to the whole scripted DR scenes by now, but I think that's the thing I miss most about other versions of Big Brother in relation to BBUS is that they use the diary room as a diary room. If something annoys someone they'd go to the diary room for a rant and you know it's genuine feelings, them just saying what they feel at that time.
    They should just change the name of the room from Diary Room to Commentary Room or something. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the American version is over the top what is the British one now? lol

I definitely think HGs are fed lines in the DR and not just suggestions.

And Dishpop I think is right it's not really used as a DR in the sense of it being a personal diary of the the HG, it really is just used to narrate largely. And it's such a clumsy way of doing it and could be done more efficiently by a professional than by amateur actors.
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No thanks, people in the house are lying to each other constantly. How would we know what they are really thinking without the DR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    If the American version is over the top what is the British one now? lol

I definitely think HGs are fed lines in the DR and not just suggestions.

And Dishpop I think is right it's not really used as a DR in the sense of it being a personal diary of the the HG, it really is just used to narrate largely. And it's such a clumsy way of doing it and could be done more efficiently by a professional than by amateur actors.

I agree with me of you post some HGs are fed lines Im sure however I think they are usually the thick ones eg Jordan where the DRs came across as contrived and this year Shane's DRs. Contestants like Britney however come across a lot witter then others in the DR just like she does in interviews so her sarcastic comments are most likely hers rather then dictated to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fab cesc wrote: »
    No thanks, people in the house are lying to each other constantly. How would we know what they are really thinking without the DR.

I'm not sure we do get to know what they are thinking most of the time in the DR. And it only focusses on a few people who they want to build a story around like Dan anyway. As they use it I think it tells us very little and is probably even distorting things for the storylines.
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure we do get to know what they are thinking most of the time in the DR. And it only focusses on a few people who they want to build a story around like Dan anyway. As they use it I think it tells us very little and is probably even distorting things for the storylines.

You could improve it of course, I was just making the point you can't get rid of it entirely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh sure, but I think it is used too much for how they use it. It just breaks up the flow of the program to give out normally inconsequential information. Make it a special (genuine) confessional thing, rather than than an idiots guide for the casual viewer that pops up every few minutes which is what it is now
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was a confessional-type diary room then Big Brother USA would be a different kind of show, something like the UK version. BBUSA isn't a reality show, more of a game show, and I enjoy it being that way. I don't really care that much about the HG's personal thoughts and feelings.

But to the OP if you prefer that style then the earlier series are more like that so check them out.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is still a reality show, just more competitive than some others. The overall concept is still the same though.
  • RenThrayskRenThraysk Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ceremonies are pretty essential to the game (unlike the DRs). They could certainly make it more improvised though. The silly bit where they look at the wall of faces before the ceremony always makes me cringe, they do it even when we know what will happen anyway.

..snipped..

Not the way they are done though. The whole key table thing is just a pointless attempt to create some drama where none really exists. Viewers know who aren't getting their keys, so why the long ceremony for it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They always create fake drama in American shows, worse still is how they use the DR to do that.