Options

Watch gets the rights to all 5 seasons of Babylon 5

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    From memory, there were two versions of the 'complete' set, one which included The Lost Tales, and one that didn't. If you have the former set then you do indeed get everything, which considering how much that is, is a bargain!

In terms of the spinoffs, Crusade was interesting, cut down just as it was about to get really interesting. Legend of the Rangers, was pretty poor IMO. The Lost Tales is a pair of vignettes from the core series. The first is a bit meh, the second, is a decent Sheridan minisode. JMS had planned on doing more of those, but WBs were a bit stingy with the $$$ and Joe decided not to do them if he couldn't do them right. A shame, from memory the next ones were a Londo story, a Garibaldi story, and I think a Bester story.

Enjoy the set, it's brilliant. :)

I have the one with the lost tales

and thanks I will. I have only ever seen season 1 so all of it is pretty much new to me.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    In that case, avoid spoilers like the plague.

If ever there's a series that you don't want spoiling on, this is it.

Luckily, back in the day, it wasn't so easy with the internet an' all, but these days, good luck resisting that temptation! :D

If you've seen season 1, then you've had the universe and the characters established, now sit back and enjoy as the story starts to develop and unfold. Seasons 2-4 and the back end of season 5 are still the greatest thing I've ever seen on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that case, avoid spoilers like the plague.

If ever there's a series that you don't want spoiling on, this is it.

Luckily, back in the day, it wasn't so easy with the internet an' all, but these days, good luck resisting that temptation! :D

If you've seen season 1, then you've had the universe and the characters established, now sit back and enjoy as the story starts to develop and unfold. Seasons 2-4 and the back end of season 5 are still the greatest thing I've ever seen on TV.

Thank you very much:);-)
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have them downloaded so don't have them all clogging up the sky planner I would defo buy the DVD when I save some money.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Legend of the rangers was awesome
    Crusade looked amazing but was sadly cut short
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It's great that Watch is showing it, as I missed it when it was first shown on Channel 4 in the 1990s. It's interesting watching a space opera which isn't Star Trek. The different alien species are interesting, and also the fact that the political aspect of the story is quite complex. The CGI is a bit dated, I suppose, but it serves the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    B5 was better than Trek for 'playing the long game' too. Random or seemingly inconsequential events in one episode might not take on significance for 2/3 years.

One of the chief advantages that B5 had, the core of its story was already planned out well before going in front of the camera. Whilst certain things changed, they coped with those quite well, and often served to actually improve the series.

Personally, I'd love to have seen what Joe could have done with the Star Trek universe had he ever been given the chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The idea of a planned arc was apart of what makes b5 so groundbreaking plus that the main characters were at risk and could die
    That the series was so unpredictable was unique and that little stuff like headlines on the news or in the paper could tie into the arc
    Character development that was logical as well instead of illogical stuff like in bad soaps
  • Options
    TPKingTPKing Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I am just annoyed having to endure a Christmas break and having to wait until the 6th Jan for the next episode. :mad:
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it starting again on Monday.....
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    TPKing wrote: »
    I am just annoyed having to endure a Christmas break and having to wait until the 6th Jan for the next episode. :mad:

Thank you for that - I was just about to ask when it started back-up again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shows these days seem to lack a path of where a show goes. Shows these days seem to make up as it goes along or some shows with have 5-7 season story mapped out and then it goes beyond that with more seasons and becomes rather tedious and repititive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shows these days seem to lack a path of where a show goes. Shows these days seem to make up as it goes along or some shows with have 5-7 season story mapped out and then it goes beyond that with more seasons and becomes rather tedious and repititive.
    Eg supernatural
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think "these days" comes into really. For the most part, it's always been like that. It's rare for a TV show to have a long term, fully mapped out story.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TPKing wrote: »

I'm quite pleased - I was two weeks behind, but have now got just 1 episode left before monday:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

A common theme for some shows is that the Producers know where they want to go and how things will end, but have no idea how long they need to take to get there. Case in point, Lost. The first season, when they were laying the groundwork and establishing the story, it was brilliant. Then when they started to get going in the second and third seasons it really dragged because they had little idea on how to pace the story towards its conclusion. The series only picked up, for me, once ABC announced when it would be ending. Putting that stake in the ground gave the Production team a goalpost and a definitive timeframe to work with. The pacing was far better after that and the story benefited, for the most part. Well, at least until the last couple of episodes! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lost didn't drag
    It is an excellent series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lost didn't drag
    It is an excellent series

If you say so. ;)

For the most part I'd agree, but I was bored through parts of seasons 2 and 3, and the final few episodes, well, you're either going to like them or you're not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you say so. ;)

For the most part I'd agree, but I was bored through parts of seasons 2 and 3, and the final few episodes, well, you're either going to like them or you're not.

I was never bored through any of it and I never get the ones who slag it off or claim it was boring etc
    I think they talk out if their arse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was never bored through any of it and I never get the ones who slag it off or claim it was boring etc
    I think they talk out if their arse

Slagging it off is different to not being blown away by every aspect of it. There were certainly those that did slag it off, and tbh, there were those kind of people who were critical of the show near enough all the way through its run. There were far, far more people though that acknowledged that the show had areas for improvement. One example is the introduction of new characters like Nikki and Paolo in season 3. They were near-universally despised, and they didn't last long once that sentiment was known to Lindelof and Cuse.

The writing and focus got a lot tighter once they knew when they were ending - that's reflected in the critical acclaim that each series received. It's no coincidence that the only two years where the show wasn't nominated for the "Best Drama" Emmy were the second and third seasons. They just weren't as tight.

Every show has its flaws, there's no such thing as the 'perfect' show. Of course some shows come closer to others though and whilst Lost was closer than most, there were others that are closer. IMO. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eg supernatural

Yes, although i am still watching and slightly enjoying it still:confused:
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4chords wrote: »
    Also, what's with all the movies? Has anyone got a full episode-order list with non spoilers in case I do buy the DVD collection?

BABYLON 5 CHRONOLOGY

Pilot: "The Gathering"
    Season 1: "Signs And Portents"

Season 2: "The Coming Of Shadows"

Season 3: "Point Of No Return"

Season 4: "No Surrender. No Retreat", Episodes 1-8
    "Thirdspace"
    Season 4: "No Surrender. No Retreat", Episode 9
    "In The Beginning"
    Season 4: "No Surrender. No Retreat", Episodes 10-22

Season 5: "Wheel Of Fire", Episodes 1-19
    "The Legend Of The Rangers: To Live And Die In Starlight"
    "A Call To Arms"

"Crusade", Episodes 1-13

"The Lost Tales: Voices In The Dark"
    Season 5: "Wheel Of Fire" Episode 20
    "River of Souls"
    Season 5: "Wheel Of Fire", Episodes 21-22

:)

...plus there's a couple of episodes here and there in the first two seasons and most of Crusade that need juggling round in the series order ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that list
    I found a similar list on another website. Except i will watch Crusade last, so i don't have to keep juggling back and forth from Crusade to Season 5 of B5.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that list
    I found a similar list on another website. Except i will watch Crusade last, so i don't have to keep juggling back and forth from Crusade to Season 5 of B5.

Yeah It's probably one of the ones I used, my list came from two websites and I just took the most detail I could get from each.
    After series two there seems to have been more attention to getting the broadcast order right, other than Crusade of course which is all over the place and needs watching out of transmission order.

...and personally, If you can handle the wait I'd suggest saving the last 3 episodes and 2 movies for last ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Shoppy

Yeah i hear the crusade order is just everywhere. On the show's wiki page, there are three different orders. There is the broadcast order, the production order and then the creator's own personal order.