Nice Sophie EB interview

La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/467767/Sophie-Ellis-Bextor-interview-Popstar-talks-motherhood-and-the-Strictly-curse

She really does seem a lovely person. :) (Much nicer than her Mother IMO).

Incidentally I heard an interview with Royal Ballet dancer Ed Watson on LBC yesterday, and he talked about dancing in a video for The Feeling (Sophie's hubby's band). I wondered if anyone had seen it?

Comments

• *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/467767/Sophie-Ellis-Bextor-interview-Popstar-talks-motherhood-and-the-Strictly-curse

She really does seem a lovely person. :) (Much nicer than her Mother IMO).

Incidentally I heard an interview with Royal Ballet dancer Ed Watson on LBC yesterday, and he talked about dancing in a video for The Feeling (Sophie's hubby's band). I wondered if anyone had seen it?

Hi La Rhumba, thanks for the link - it is an interesting interview but they've got something wrong - Sophie came fourth not third - more's the pity because I think she should have been in the top 3.....also I'd say she was more lauded for her charleston than her foxtrot although I do remember she scored well in her foxtrot....but I think she's mostly remembered for the charleston - it's certainly one of my favourite dances of last series and I think it's got the highest views on youtube of last series. I've said on other threads that the last series of Strictly was one of my least favourite but that was more to do with producers' interference/manipulations, substandard choreography in the pro dances and a contestant who I don't agree should have been included in the line up. I can safely say that if it hadn't been for Sophie, Natalie Gumede and Mark Benton I would have switched off.

Sophie seems to have done well out of her stint on Strictly - apart from liking a few of her tracks I didn't know much about her before the show and now having seen and heard about her quite a lot, I agree she really is a lovely person. She seems to have done quite well out of her raised profile - her current album has done well and she landed an M&S advertising contract so I'm happy for her that her appearance on the show has helped revitalise her career.

I hadn't seen 'the feeling' video that you talk about so I checked it out on youtube. Here's the link if you haven't already seen it.......it's erm interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKitlE-nNtk
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link Topaz. I watched it till the end, though it's not my sort of music. Some interesting shapes, especially the arms, and atmospheric B&W imagery. Apparently he turned up on set and asked where everyone was, and what the storyline was? And they said, it's you, and whatever you come up with by yourself, so he said he's quite proud of it in the radio interview. I wondered if Sophie dancing in Strictly had made the band think of going down the route of hiring a RB Principal to make the video.

I must admit I wasn't a big fan of Sophie's music either before Strictly, and found her aloof and uber cool, but that's what's great about these shows, you revise your opinions of people when you get to see their personalities, and she is certainly lovely, in an old fashioned way, and so uniquely beautiful. I only remember Robbie Williams nastily calling her face a satellite dish years ago, and I suppose that says more about his nature!

I know it's only rehashing things now, and it's all over, but the tragedy of the Final was we never got to see Sophie's brilliant Charleston again, and still think if we had, and Brendan had played to her strengths and choreographed a stylish Ballroom Foxtrot/Smooth type Showdance, she definitely would've gone further, rather than being voted out first in the Final. I'm one of these people who believes that it's not all set in stone with fan bases and that floating viewers, who tune in for the Final and vote, make a difference. Apart from saying that's water under the bridge now, I do think that should Brendan return, and there's no reason why he shouldn't, and he gets to the Final again, then will he develop a complex about the Showdance, as his last 2 have failed dismally?! He certainly seemed shell shocked talking to Zoe on the red button after the Final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Thanks for the link Topaz. I watched it till the end, though it's not my sort of music. Some interesting shapes, especially the arms, and atmospheric B&W imagery. Apparently he turned up on set and asked where everyone was, and what the storyline was? And they said, it's you, and whatever you come up with by yourself, so he said he's quite proud of it in the radio interview. I wondered if Sophie dancing in Strictly had made the band think of going down the route of hiring a RB Principal to make the video.

I must admit I wasn't a big fan of Sophie's music either before Strictly, and found her aloof and uber cool, but that's what's great about these shows, you revise your opinions of people when you get to see their personalities, and she is certainly lovely, in an old fashioned way, and so uniquely beautiful. I only remember Robbie Williams nastily calling her face a satellite dish years ago, and I suppose that says more about his nature!

I know it's only rehashing things now, and it's all over, but the tragedy of the Final was we never got to see Sophie's brilliant Charleston again, and still think if we had, and Brendan had played to her strengths and choreographed a stylish Ballroom Foxtrot/Smooth type Showdance, she definitely would've gone further, rather than being voted out first in the Final. I'm one of these people who believes that it's not all set in stone with fan bases and that floating viewers, who tune in for the Final and vote, make a difference. Apart from saying that's water under the bridge now, I do think that should Brendan return, and there's no reason why he shouldn't, and he gets to the Final again, then will he develop a complex about the Showdance, as his last 2 have failed dismally?! He certainly seemed shell shocked talking to Zoe on the red button after the Final.

Oh that's interesting hearing how the video came about - yes perhaps they got inspired by Sophie's interest in dance to use a ballet dancer in their video.

I remember when Sophie was announced as taking part last year I wasn't sure what she'd be like - I was positive about her taking part but feared she may be too reserved and too cool for school but I'm glad she came across much better than I expected - I think she embraced the experience without being too gushy and over the top. I agree she is very beautiful - she has a very unique and striking look.

As for what happened in the finals - I personally suspect that it wasn't Brendan's decision to use that music for the showdance and the producers gave it to him - I'm not sure he could have choreographed anything other than Latin to it and I just wish they'd given him music that he could have played to Sophie's strengths - she would have been much better off doing a showdance based around QS/Charleston or as you said Foxtrot/Smooth. I don't think they did a bad showdance - it just wasn't mememorable and it didn't play to her strengths. I did try and vote for her in the finals but couldn't get through on her line. As you say it's water under the bridge now - I'm sure Brendan's come to terms with it now and Sophie's career is really taking off again now so I doubt she's lost much sleep over it either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really liking Sophie's latest release. Lovely, whimisical and soothing track to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPjfSqH-nA0