Options

Betting suspended on Brucie's replacement...

Comments

• Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Jesus Christ.
  • Options
    fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus Christ.

An outside chance at best.

I hear its even difficult to make an appointment with him.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    An outside chance at best.

I hear its even difficult to make an appointment with him.

To be fair he does tend to have a bit of a packed schedule at this time of year.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Knowles is very popular with BBC One audiences. He has several hit shows with the channel and this would be a good move for him.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Well, I posted on the BBC POV board that betting had been suspended because of a run on Nick Knowles and it was immediately removed. Does that tell us something?
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    To be fair he does tend to have a bit of a packed schedule at this time of year.

But I've heard he's about to make a rather big comeback.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    As a contender, most definitely. As a presenter, NO!!
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get him as a presenter. Don't hate him but can't see it.
    I don't think the confusing and non interactive nature of his lottery shows do him any favour.
    Might as well have Dale Winton. (Who does an infinitely more enjoyable lottery quiz.)
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't want him.
  • Options
    scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Ladbrokes seem to have had this run on Knowles!

You can still get 5/1 about him & other bookmakers who are offering odds have Claudia 1/3 or thereabouts!!!

http://www.oddschecker.com/tv/strictly-come-dancing/who-will-replace-bruce-forsyth-as-host
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Knowles is very popular with BBC One audiences. He has several hit shows with the channel and this would be a good move for him.

Not certain how that is quantified, at the end of the day audiences are going to watch a quiz format mostly because of the format not the presenter (and there are many people who could competently ask questions and make a bit of smalltalk).

Il grant you DIY SOS made his name and arguably worked because of him, but live primetime Saturday night entertainment is a very different thing and for me someone like Nick should not be hosting Strictly.

My plea now is leave it with Tess and Claudia.

Many people ended up disliking Sir Bruce, but they probably forgot just how much of Strictly was bound up with his personality. Somebody new cant fail to change the mood-and it may not be a positive one.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

Well, I am a member of the BBC1 audience and I am fed up to the back teeth of him! He is too much on our screens. He is OK in the building programme but the mis-named Perfection is the last straw. He is popular with the BBC producers, not necessarily with the audiences!
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He always looks in need of a good wash.

Poor choice if its true.:(
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    IIRC wasn't there a story that "betting was suspended over the next James Bond" a few years back, and the actor in question was not Daniel Craig - it was Colin Salmon.

Stories get planted in the press by agents you know !!!
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bookmakers aren't going to suspend betting for anybody's agent. For whatever reason Ladbrokes have got spooked and think the betting patterns have shown that he's got the job. Doesn't mean to say they're right.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He mostly presents trivial programmes, (I don't watch any in which he appears) so does SCD count as one too?
    Dunno how his contribution could be described as part of the, "we're going to make it bigger and better" as was the usual promise by the producer, recently.

It won't make that much difference.
    We managed to avoid Bruce's contribution, by recording the show and fast forwarding his nonsense and the trivia. It knocked at least twenty minutes off each episode and you missed nothing.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please say it's a joke.He's wooden,humourless and totally bland.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    I thought that with Vernon Kay covering the One Show last week that the BBC were trying to lure him away to join Tess.

Still my favourite to join Tess, good chemistry already and that is what they need.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I thought that with Vernon Kay covering the One Show last week that the BBC were trying to lure him away to join Tess.

Still my favourite to join Tess, good chemistry already and that is what they need.

Richard Madeley was also covering TOS last week, so is he in the running as well? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Richard Madeley was also covering TOS last week, so is he in the running as well? ;)

Madeley and Kay can both do "Live" TV so would be qualified.

Richard Madeley would be a different type of host to Bruce, more in the Tom Bergeron DWTS mould.

Vernon Kay would annoy the Daily Mail as he is from Bolton, so two Northern presenters on screen at the same time. !!!
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Nick Knowles. Admittedly, I've only seen him on DIY SOS but I think he's very good on that, particularly bantering with the others on the show. That easy camaraderie is quite hard to pull off, but whether it's a skill that's transferable to the Strictly format is debatable.

Whoever gets the gig will change the show - however subtly - and there will be howls of disapproval or cheers of relief when the new presenter is confirmed. *shrugs* I don't think there's been any name mentioned who would stop me switching on as usual to enjoy my favourite show, but it will be interesting to see how (or if) the new host affects the ratings.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not an option but I do think David Walliams could carry of SCD rather well.:)
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it does go to Nick Knowles it will just confirm once again that the BBC isn't interested in promoting women to this type of role. >:(
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there are few female presenters who would be

a) suitable

b) suitably qualified (i.e. have at least a basic appreciation of and interest in dance)

c) willing to take on the role

And maybe of those female presenters who meet the above criteria, none is as good as any of the respective male presenters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Maybe there are few female presenters who would be

a) suitable

b) suitably qualified (i.e. have at least a basic appreciation of and interest in dance)

c) willing to take on the role

And maybe of those female presenters who meet the above criteria, none is as good as any of the respective male presenters.

Rumours on DS UKTV thread that Miranda Hart is being lined up by the BBC to host a new version of The Generation game.
    If true then
    a) It rules her out as Presenter of Strictly (she is a huge fan)
    b) possible BBC1 Saturday line-up straight out of the Bill Cotton scheduling handbook.

Doctor Who
    Generation Game
    Strictly
    Casualty
    News
    Match of the Day

Loving it !!!!