Options

Bob Geldof/Adele

maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
Forum Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11236278/Why-Adele-was-right-to-ignore-Bob-Geldof-and-Band-Aid.html

I agree with this article, what do you think? Bob Geldof was being totally unnecessary and patronising when he decided to speak about Adele not answering his calls because she is 'bringing up a family'. He has no idea what she is doing in her own time and how she decides to contribute to charity. Maybe if he took more of an interest in his own children things wouldn't have turned out as they did.

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression he is being misinterpreted a lot, "she is doing nothing" was his response to why she had not taken part, as in she wasn't ignoring him she wasn't doing anything at all work wise and he said why.

If he had been asked and said nothing he would then be being accused of being angry with her.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11236278/Why-Adele-was-right-to-ignore-Bob-Geldof-and-Band-Aid.html

I agree with this article, what do you think? Bob Geldof was being totally unnecessary and patronising when he decided to speak about Adele not answering his calls because she is 'bringing up a family'. He has no idea what she is doing in her own time and how she decides to contribute to charity. Maybe if he took more of an interest in his own children things wouldn't have turned out as they did.

A very unfair and mean spirited thing to say. A child dying before the parent is always heartbreaking. The charity record and Adele not being on it I don't think is a big deal. She donated money to Oxfam according to the article anyway. Better than 'donating her time'.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Can't stand Geldof, it's none of his business what Adele is doing and why she didn't want to take part, he has no right to make anything of it at all, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish none of them had picked up his calls. It would have saved us all from this re-hash.

Could he not have threatened to release the song as a threat unless he received enough pledges of money etc.

This is the fourth version now - he has gone to the well too many times.

And he makes money out of it also.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    From the horse's mouth during a Sky News interview yesterday when asked about the Adele affair:
    "I didn't call Adele at all because I don't have her number.

"There is no snub. I am only aware of this this morning, it's nonsense. Complete nonsense."

Thanks Bob.

That's that cleared up then.

http://news.sky.com/story/1374910/bob-geldof-denies-adele-band-aid-song-snub
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What a moronic thing to say
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    When did we give this talentless no mark so much time. Who is he to comment on what other people do with their time, as has been mentioned perhaps if he spent more time concentrating on his own life, he may still have a wife and daughter. And perhaps Adele doesn't want to give money to a foreign charity, it's no business of ours, we have a choice wether we buy her records, we don't need a "scruffy trap" to tell us.
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

. Maybe if he took more of an interest in his own children things wouldn't have turned out as they did.

Correct.
    By all accounts he is completely uninterested in his own kids. With devastating results.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How cruel.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bob Geldof seems to have been a very loving parent to his kids (and also the little one that Paula had with Michael Hutchence), its totally unfair to say that about him.
  • Options
    zolugzolug Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct.
    By all accounts he is completely uninterested in his own kids. With devastating results.

What a totally nasty unfounded comment,>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    From the horse's mouth during a Sky News interview yesterday when asked about the Adele affair:

Thanks Bob.

That's that cleared up then.

http://news.sky.com/story/1374910/bob-geldof-denies-adele-band-aid-song-snub

If that's true, I take back my comment (apart from the bit about not liking him!)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct.

Parents cannot be held responsible for what their kids do as adults all the time, whilst I am not his biggest fan or any fan really I think we can tell a lot about him by the fact he took in the daughter of his ex wife and her lover l and treated her like his own and adopted her.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    When did we give this talentless no mark so much time. Who is he to comment on what other people do with their time, as has been mentioned perhaps if he spent more time concentrating on his own life, he may still have a wife and daughter. And perhaps Adele doesn't want to give money to a foreign charity, it's no business of ours, we have a choice wether we buy her records, we don't need a "scruffy trap" to tell us.

I suppose it started when he was instrumental in organising the largest ever live fund raising event ever back in 1985. Whether you like him or not he has helped raised billions of pounds for charities and starving people around the world. Yes he is a scruffy, loud mouthed bugger but surely no one can deny that his heart is in the right place ................he got off his arse and did something whilst many of us sat at home staring incredulously and feeling helpless at the images of starving children in Africa.

I think the Adele/ Geldof thing has been blown out of proportion by the media who like to stir up muck and fury rather than report on a heart warming story about raising money for a deserving cause.

Is anyone honestly bothered whether Adele took part or not? ^^^^ I think the attacks on how he has raised his family are pretty despicable.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I get the impression he is being misinterpreted a lot, "she is doing nothing" was his response to why she had not taken part, as in she wasn't ignoring him she wasn't doing anything at all work wise and he said why.

If he had been asked and said nothing he would then be being accused of being angry with her.

I get the impression he's simply confirming he's just a pretentious hypocritical nob.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I assume you're referring to his late daughter Peaches - who was a married adult woman with a husband, children, her own career and lifestyle and made her own choices. As much as I'm not a fan of Bob, he can't be blamed for the actions of his grown up children.

As I recall, he was left to bring up three young girls of his own AND the child of another man. I'd say he did a pretty good job.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it started when he was instrumental in organising the largest ever live fund raising event ever back in 1985. Whether you like him or not he has helped raised billions of pounds for charities and starving people around the world. Yes he is a scruffy, loud mouthed bugger but surely no one can deny that his heart is in the right place ................he got off his arse and did something whilst many of us sat at home staring incredulously and feeling helpless at the images of starving children in Africa.

I think the Adele/ Geldof thing has been blown out of proportion by the media who like to stir up muck and fury rather than report on a heart warming story about raising money for a deserving cause.

Is anyone honestly bothered whether Adele took part or not? ^^^^ I think the attacks on how he has raised his family are pretty despicable.
    I agree, it matters not whether Adele was involved or not and, reading and hearing more about how this went down, it's obvious that Adele couldn't have snubbed him as there was never a conversation between the two of them.

I do get angry at him extolling the virtues of the celebs he did manage to get, how they cancelled concerts and flew back to do this single, when it would have been much better for any charity if they had chosen to perform in those concerts and give the money raised to DEC or any other charity involved in the fight against Ebola ... or, as the article in the OP rightly says, towards the continuing fight against drought, HIV, malaria, and so on in Africa that haven't disappeared in the years between Band Aid singles. These are causes for which people have been fighting throughout

Ebola is the new trend though, as it has been around since the 1970's and previous outbreaks caused nearly 2,000 deaths, but we had no Band Aid single during any of these outbreaks, even though they were eventually contained - so money raised can go to good use, whichever charity you give to. There are charities that have been dealing with Ebola for a lot longer than Band Aid, they just don't have a loud-mouthed ex-singer with high profile friends fighting their corner.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I hate the Bob-bashing on here. I think he's a good, caring man who has does his best to bring people together in times of crisis and has raised an awful lot of money in the process. Leave him alone,
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Trolling In The Deep.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Trolling In The Deep.
    Ha! :D:D
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Trolling In The Deep.

Lol :D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trolling In The Deep.

:D:D:D ..........
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Another keyboard warrior, go on tell him the truth....how about to his face next time?
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Why wouldn't I, he was in a mildly successful group in the 70's, and made his name with a charity song, which according to some organisations including MSF has done more harm than good.