Bob Geldof/Adele

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't I, he was in a mildly successful group in the 70's, and made his name with a charity song, which according to some organisations including MSF has done more harm than good.

The Boomtown Rats were a little more than just mildly successful.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From that article:
    But anyone who refuses to go along with Geldof is pilloried or sworn at; so, when a Sky News presenter asked him a perfectly reasonable question yesterday morning about the tax practices of some of the artists featured on the song, his only answer was “it’s b******s”. This is the kind of response you might expect from a 21-year-old with a YouTube channel, but from a 63-year-old trying to engage the public in a subject as grave as Ebola, it just seems churlish. How can he expect us to take him seriously if he cannot behave in a serious manner himself?

Certainly, I don’t want to be told how to behave philanthropically by a man worth an estimated £32 million, a man who is said to use tax avoidance schemes (it is telling that when a journalist asked him two years ago how much tax he paid, Geldof exploded at her, saying: 'My time? Is that not a tax?’ Well, no, Bob, it isn’t).

Pretty much says it all really. Bog off Geldof!
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boomtown Rats were a little more than just mildly successful.

they were mildly succesful, 2 number 1s , 5 top 10 singles, one platinum, 1 gold and 2 silver ablums, career from 77 to 81, two other albums after 81 which we much less succesful, last top 40 hit in 1982

the likes of the stranglers, the police, abc, culture club, the cure, human league, the pretenders, simple minds, spandau ballet, squeeze, u2, tears for fearswere much more succesful than the boomtown rats and ythats just off the top of my head
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want Bob to give a lecture about the poor in Africa he'll charge you £50,000 for the pleasure.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope he won't spend it all on conditioner.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    All this is getting so silly, all this personal abuse from facts got from the likes of the Daily mail,
    No matter what is said in his defence it will be shot down by lies
    For goodness sake give if you want to give ...whats his personal life got to do with it?
    So the rats weren't such a big success..so what!! he's scruffy so what!!! he dont pay his taxes , so what!!!... he swears...oh dear!!,... the UN asked him to do this.....it's about saving lives...for fucsake grow up!!!!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    they were mildly succesful, 2 number 1s , 5 top 10 singles, one platinum, 1 gold and 2 silver ablums, career from 77 to 81, two other albums after 81 which we much less succesful, last top 40 hit in 1982

the likes of the stranglers, the police, abc, culture club, the cure, human league, the pretenders, simple minds, spandau ballet, squeeze, u2, tears for fearswere much more succesful than the boomtown rats and ythats just off the top of my head

Your list above includes acts that were less successful (unless this is based on longevity) 2 number ones was good going back then. The Cure, ABC and Squeeze never touched number 1. Tears For Fears as well. (and that's just off the top of my head) :o

I am not a big fan of Geldof btw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geldof has a cheek here.

I asked him to sing on my charity record and he never returned my call either!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11236278/Why-Adele-was-right-to-ignore-Bob-Geldof-and-Band-Aid.html

I agree with this article, what do you think? Bob Geldof was being totally unnecessary and patronising when he decided to speak about Adele not answering his calls because she is 'bringing up a family'. He has no idea what she is doing in her own time and how she decides to contribute to charity. Maybe if he took more of an interest in his own children things wouldn't have turned out as they did.

Seriously? What a nasty, nasty thing to say.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I get the impression he is being misinterpreted a lot, "she is doing nothing" was his response to why she had not taken part, as in she wasn't ignoring him she wasn't doing anything at all work wise and he said why.

If he had been asked and said nothing he would then be being accused of being angry with her.

IF Geldof was phoning Adele about 30 times a day over two or three days, that is bang out of order. She was probably, and rightly so as well, angry with him.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    From the horse's mouth during a Sky News interview yesterday when asked about the Adele affair:

Thanks Bob.

That's that cleared up then.

http://news.sky.com/story/1374910/bob-geldof-denies-adele-band-aid-song-snub

Well, it's nice to see the press check its facts so well & jump on any occasion for an easy buzz...

He didn't call Adele at all & all this slagging off over him calling Adele out for not participating to Bandaid 30 wasn't warranted.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he was pounding her from the title :D
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    annushka wrote: »
    Well, it's nice to see the press check its facts so well & jump on any occasion for an easy buzz...

He didn't call Adele at all & all this slagging off over him calling Adele out for not participating to Bandaid 30 wasn't warranted.

Most of it are lies and made up to bring him down....why????????????????????
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »

Because the media can >:(....though from comments on this thread about Bob Geldolf it shows how people's opinions take be misconstrued as fact ^_^

I like Bob Geldof ,probably right from being a huge Boomtown Rats fan following his life all these years I respect what he's done to raise money and how he gets things moving along with others for charity so good luck to him,
    As for his being a parent no parent should have to bury their child at such a young age and Bob Geldof will have his daughters death on his conscience for the rest of his life wondering if he could have done/helped more but he couldn't have obviously,that's the saddest part :(
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Bob Geldof means well,yes his language is quite abrupt,and I didnt agree with his behavior on Sky News but I believe he cares,and is not out for himself..

Band Aid 30 might not be best idea ever but it will raise more money than what the Governments are providing i expect
  • Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The guy is just on another periodical ego boost.

He wants us to think he is a saint.

He isn't - he is an egotist hiding behind the illusion of beneficiaince.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11236278/Why-Adele-was-right-to-ignore-Bob-Geldof-and-Band-Aid.html

I agree with this article, what do you think? Bob Geldof was being totally unnecessary and patronising when he decided to speak about Adele not answering his calls because she is 'bringing up a family'. He has no idea what she is doing in her own time and how she decides to contribute to charity. Maybe if he took more of an interest in his own children things wouldn't have turned out as they did.

Have to say I agree with every word in your post, and as for the last line you are not the only one to make that comment and will certainly not be the last.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another keyboard warrior, go on tell him the truth....how about to his face next time?

Haven't you trolled this line before, face facts he has his fans but he also has a hell of a lot of detractors, from a personal standpoint I'm heartily sick of the African begging bowl being brought out again, it's bad enough they run the 'Ayesha won't eat tonight' guilt trips during the afternoon when they know full well vulnerable people are watching in order to guilt and extract donations for a lost cause.

We do not need to be lectured about giving, it's either done free will or not at all, if anything charity should begin at home and shame on anyone who gives to any foreign charity appeal before supporting British charities.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

Hell hath no fury like an Adele fan who's goddess has been scorned. Or might have been scorned. Or might have been rumoured to have been scorned. Or who's name isn't mentioned with sufficient reverence in the first place.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell hath no fury like an Adele fan who's goddess has been scorned. Or might have been scorned. Or might have been rumoured to have been scorned. Or who's name isn't mentioned with sufficient reverence in the first place.

I doubt it, it's usually tabloids that like to stir shit and find a scandal where there's nothing.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,999
    Forum Member
    For the love of ..... the article is utter tripe. Bob has confirmed. As for the comment about his relationship with his children, that's disgusting. He and his wife are raising a child that isn't even biologically his.

"In Adele's case it was nothing like that, Adele is just parked off.

"She's not writing, she's not recording, she's not doing interviews, she's not doing gigs - she is somewhere else in her life.

"I didn't ring her because I didn't have her number. I would have if I'd had her number, but then she'd have had to explain to me and you don't have to explain to me!

"If that's what you want to do, it's completely correct that you do that, and her manager - who's a very funny guy and a very nice guy says 'she doesn't even pick up the phone to me, you know?'

"And that's right - that is where she's at and there's lots of artists like that so, you know, absolutely fair play."
  • carrollscarrolls Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has no idea what she is doing in her own time and how she decides to contribute to charity. Maybe if he took more of an interest in his own children things wouldn't have turned out as they did.

How lower can this forum stoop?
    Are there ANY decency rules?
    Why is maidinscotland still allowed to post after writing something like that?
    .:mad:
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    For the love of ..... the article is utter tripe. Bob has confirmed. As for the comment about his relationship with his children, that's disgusting. He and his wife are raising a child that isn't even biologically his.

"In Adele's case it was nothing like that, Adele is just parked off. She's not writing, she's not recording, she's not doing interviews, she's not doing gigs - she is somewhere else in her life. I didn't ring her because I didn't have her number. I would have if I'd had her number, but then she'd have had to explain to me and you don't have to explain to me! If that's what you want to do, it's completely correct that you do that, and her manager - who's a very funny guy and a very nice guy says 'she doesn't even pick up the phone to me, you know?' And that's right - that is where she's at and there's lots of artists like that so, you know, absolutely fair play."

Thanks for that, Ella Nut. :)

It will, of course, be ignored - just like the earlier post that confirmed it was a load of bs - by those who just can't wait to have a go at Geldof. ^_^
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrities. Darned if they don't, darned if they do. I think Bob has his heart in the right place, trying to help those less fortunate than us. I also feel sad about the criticism of his children; they were there at the recording so he can't be such a bad father. There isn't many men in the world who would adopt their late wifes' lovers' child (does this make sense?)
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the Bob-bashing on here. I think he's a good, caring man who has does his best to bring people together in times of crisis and has raised an awful lot of money in the process. Leave him alone,
    Hi Midge.