Options

Anyone got a wine chiller/warmer?

FritzFritz Posts: 147
Forum Member
I want to buy a wine chiller/warmer for my OH for Christmas. The most popular one on the market appears to be the Cooper Cooler http://www.coopercooler.com/index_1.html though this one seems to need a supply of ice to functon properly. I've also found the Micromark one http://www.nextag.co.uk/Micromark-Wine-Cooler-and-549768678/uk/prices-html which doesn't mention the use of ice but I guess it may be required!

We rarely make ice as we have very little room in our freezer and we'd therefore probably forget to have some ready waiting just in case we might want to use the wine chiller!

Does anyone out there have a wine chiller and if so, would you recommend one? I'm looking up to around the £50 mark

Many thanks!

Fritz

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We use a liner that goes in the freezer. You then slip it over the bottle to chill the wine. Once chilled the liner goes back in the freezer. Didn't cost a lot ... probably under a tenner and has been used for years.

I guess it could also be warmed in the oven and then placed round a bottle.

Mind you, many people over chill wine. Cellar temperature (about 15C) is correct for chardonnay. Chill the wine too much and you lose the taste.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Hinari Vin Maison wine cooler/chiller which you plug in and has a cover which goes round the top of the bottle. Not sure if it was expensive as it was given to me by my brother for Xmas - and knowing him it wouldn't be too expensive!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sirpipe wrote: »
    We use a liner that goes in the freezer. You then slip it over the bottle to chill the wine. Once chilled the liner goes back in the freezer. Didn't cost a lot ... probably under a tenner and has been used for years.

I guess it could also be warmed in the oven and then placed round a bottle.

Mind you, many people over chill wine. Cellar temperature (about 15C) is correct for chardonnay. Chill the wine too much and you lose the taste.

Hi, thanks for the response - we do actually have one of those but the attraction of the automatic chiller was the speed at which it chills - a bottle of beer (which I suspect is what he'd use it for most often!) can be done in a minute. The temperature is also supposed to be controllable depending on what you're chilling/warming so that wine doesn't get overchilled - I totally agree that over-chilled wine isn't pleasant!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Angelsbaby wrote: »
    I have a Hinari Vin Maison wine cooler/chiller which you plug in and has a cover which goes round the top of the bottle. Not sure if it was expensive as it was given to me by my brother for Xmas - and knowing him it wouldn't be too expensive!!!

Actually just found that one on Ebay and it looks quite promising. Do you know if it only takes wine bottles or would it cope with smallish beer bottles too?