Options

TOAST - Nigel Slater/ Helena Bonham Carter

Comments

• Options
    KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    I didn't want that to end, fantastic programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed every minute of that - a brilliant adaption of a fantastic book.

Lovely to see the real Nigel make an appearance at the end too - my OH is sat there going - thats the real NIgel:eek:he hadn't known about the cameo part
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the book and I loved the programme the casting was spot on sod being adopted by mrs Potter I want to be adopted by Nigel himself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wouldn't it be great if you could tell your young self that everything would turn out alright
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need to read the book to get some concept of what Nigel was thinking with this.

Understand its hard for a lad to lose his mum but to be honest he comes across as a bit of an immature ungrateful pratt in this programme and nothing about it seems remotely realistic.

Last 15 minutes felt very rushed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.nigelslater.com/tv.asp

It says on Nigel's site that you can download the Dusty Springfield soundtrack from Amazon.
  • Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it, Helena Bonham Carter never puts a foot wrong imo. My only complaints would be the cheesy cameo of Nigel Slater and there wasn't enough of Josh the gardener.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I didn't really like this, because Mr. Slater was just so... unlikable.

I mean, Helen Bonham Carter's character wasn't very likable either, but he never even made an EFFORT to like her. I just got frustrated by it all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed that :)
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    Ok, I got a bit of dust in my eye just then when young Nigel smiled at the camera.
    Lovely lovely programme.

Yeh; I was just chopping onions. It was brilliant - the best thing on TV for ages, and the two boys who played him had uncannily similar looks and expressions. Very well cast IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Superb drama, but it felt like it could have been half an hour longer! Also the younger Nigel out-acted teenage Nigel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The young Nigel was so lovely - I just wanted to give him a big hug, what a sad childhood.:cry:
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I know he lost him mum and his childhood was sad but at some points I found him to be a little sh*t. I don't think this was the intent was it?.
  • Options
    holly_oaholly_oa Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The boy who played the very young Slater was wonderful. To be honest much much better than the older boy played by Freddie H
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerkuman wrote: »

I mean, Helen Bonham Carter's character wasn't very likable either, but he never even made an EFFORT to like her. I just got frustrated by it all.

He was a nine year old boy who lost his much loved mother was left with an uptight frumpy father who then introduced his mistress who made his life miserable I suspect most small children would be immature and a little mardy under the circumstances
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great bit of telly, I totally expect more negative comments to appear soon... so that will be it from me... no point spoiling a superb program by discussing it with those who only watch things to then slam them.

I agree with the person who said best thing this Christmas :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    I know he lost him mum and his childhood was sad but at some points I found him to be a little sh*t. I don't think this was the intent was it?.

Probably not, although who knows. Maybe real life got into the process and shone through the screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should really read the book they could have made a series of it to be honest there's so much in there even though its not a great big tome it really is a great read
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Very, very, very good.

And I hated Paynes chocolate limes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed that a lot and I suspect that there will be a few people buying the book. I haven't read it so will probably be visiting Amazon some time soon.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a nine year old boy who lost his much loved mother was left with an uptight frumpy father who then introduced his mistress who made his life miserable I suspect most small children would be immature and a little mardy under the circumstances

Except, in the programme there was very little she did to make his life miserable.

I'm sure there are quite a few kids living in abusive family situations who would snap your arm off for a wicked step mother like this.

Just made him come across as a spoilt brat.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerkuman wrote: »

I think it was meant to show NS's flaws as well. I liked the programme for that. Too many autobiographies etc. make the subject out to be a saint. This story didn't do that.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe needed to be two parts