9-5 Jobs are better!

2»

Comments

• EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I do 12 hour shifts. You can basically discount doing anything on the days you work, but you do get a lot of time off. I only work 15 out of 35 days and that averages out at full-time hours (although I have a second job so work more).

What do you do PI, I've wondered for ages but kept forgetting to ask
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you do PI, I've wondered for ages but kept forgetting to ask

Security work, mainly in a CCTV control room at the moment, but I also do security patrol, event security, gatehouse duties and the odd bit of door work.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I have always thought working 9-5 would be always the ideal thing, but now I work from 8 till 2, although I have to do six days instead of five.

I definitely think it's better starting earlier and then finishing earlier....and if missing lunch means you can skip out at 4pm then all the better!

Spanish working hours are changing to become more straight shifts like the UK, but a lot of places still work by the traditional working day of (usually in a lot of cases) 9-1 and then home and then back again from 5 - 8. Or variations of that.

I've hated that with a passion because although you have a very long afternoon, you're still basically in work zone, can't do anything else apart from wait to go back to work again. And also it always seemed a much much longer working day to me!
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I do prefer a "9-5" job myself, although I actually do 08.30 - 16.30. I've not worked a weekend or a bank holiday in about 20 years.
  • 123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Good thread OP interesting to hear peoples replies.

I work nights.

Had night owl tendencies even as a small child.
    So when the opportunity arose to work nights a few years back now, I jumped at the chance.

10-6 is my usual shift.

even when i have time off my body clock stays very nocturnal, Its very handy for supermarket shopping but not to great if you want to get a nice tan.

Any ways its bedtime for me, Have a good day folks.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I do prefer a "9-5" job myself, although I actually do 08.30 - 16.30. I've not worked a weekend or a bank holiday in about 20 years.

My current job is 8.30 - 5,30. For me it feels like a long long day. I don't know why they chose these hours to work as the job would work just as well if it were 9-5.

With time added on for travel, I worked out that my 'working day' is 12 hours!

So I went for an interview last week for a job paying the same money, nearer and 9-5. Fingers crossed.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I'm also lucky that door to door my commute is just about half an hour each way on the Tube so my working day in total isn't too long.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I'm also lucky that door to door my commute is just about half an hour each way on the Tube so my working day in total isn't too long.

12 hours is a bitch, I can tell you. It feels like there is no free time. I used to work 8-4 and loved it.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I do shift work and all sorts of hours and days and I would never want a M-F 9-5 job to be honest. I usually work 4 on 2 off, but will change to 6 on 3 off in the near future. I can have days off in the week, get things done, never worry about a Dentist or Doctors appointment as they are always free when I need them. The shops aren't busy, I can take the car places mid week and rarely suffer traffic jams or finding a place to park. I can even take a 2 night mid week holiday if I like as the flights and hotels are dirt cheap. The only downside is that as my job is open 365 days a year I do work over Christmas and New Year and don't get that end of year break that most other people get, but I get paid a lot more if I am rostered in those days plus an extra day of leave to take when I want and I can avoid the peak holiday times and go away for much less, so it all balances in my favour.

For the next 2 weeks though I am M-F 9-5 for training and I absolutely hate it. I am stuck in traffic going to work, I can't fit anything in after or before work and I have to put up with crowds at the weekend if I go anywhere, so I don't know why people prefer that lifestyle over shiftwork (unless you have kids I suppose), it's insane!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I much prefer 9 - 5 working house.

I spent a few years working in retail, which was OK because we only opened 9 - 5 - 5.30 depending on the day. The part I hated was working weekends. Saturdays I could just about handle... but I had to do the occasional Sunday and that was truly awful. NEVER again.