TOAST - Nigel Slater/ Helena Bonham Carter

M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
Forum Member
Is anyone else interested in this?
I have seen an article about it in the paper but not much else and I've not read the book, do you think it will be any good?
I am not sure how it works though is it a true story, based on a true story or not based on a true story at all?

I should have put when it is on..

Thursday 9pm BBC1

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the book, so I am really looking forward to this - I thought the book was an autobiography.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    purplecatz wrote: »
    I loved the book, so I am really looking forward to this - I thought the book was an autobiography.

Oh right so its a true story.
    Originally I thought it was a cookery programme with Nigel Slater and Helena Bonham Carter - which surprised me as she does not seem the sort of person who could chop a carrot.
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah looks good, I'm defo watching it
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    purplecatz wrote: »

It was/is an autobiography, Nigel Slater himself does not feature in this as far as I know, it's another autobiographical dramas that the BBC are doing.
    Forum Member
    It was/is an autobiography, Nigel Slater himself does not feature in this as far as I know, it's another autobiographical dramas that the BBC are doing.

Oh I thought Nigel Slater was in it!
    I'm confused now....:confused:

Apart from Bonham Carter and the kid from Charlie and the Choclate factory is there anyone else famous in it?
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really really looking forward to this! I loved the book a LOT.

I believe Nigel Slater does make a tiny cameo in it as someone else, possibly at a cooking school or something, although I may have imagined that.'
    Forum Member
    Oh I thought Nigel Slater was in it!
    I'm confused now....:confused:

Apart from Bonham Carter and the kid from Charlie and the Choclate factory is there anyone else famous in it?

What's there to be confused about?, Ken Stott is also in it as Nigel's dad, and there's Victoria Hamilton who I think was in Lark Rise, she plays his mum in this.

Elanor wrote: »
    I'm really really looking forward to this! I loved the book a LOT.

I believe Nigel Slater does make a tiny cameo in it as someone else, possibly at a cooking school or something, although I may have imagined that.'

There's nothing in the promotional stuff I've read says he's got a cameo, but there might be something on the BBC website about whether he's in or not.
  • maw1maw1 Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    There's nothing in the promotional stuff I've read says he's got a cameo, but there might be something on the BBC website about whether he's in or not.

Yes, he's credited in Radio Times with a cameo as a cookery teacher.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im really looking forward to it the book is absolutely hilarious I do hope they have is dog walking escapade in it.Its the best autobiography that I have read
    Forum Member
    maw1 wrote: »
    Yes, he's credited in Radio Times with a cameo as a cookery teacher.

Ah, right, there was a mention of something in The Guardian about a bit which made me think that he was in it or I thought it was criticising the acting in the programme in general!
    Forum Member
    Ah, right, there was a mention of something in The Guardian about a bit which made me think that he was in it or I thought it was criticising the acting in the programme in general!

Oh
    Is the acting supposed to be pretty awful then?

I must admit Helena Bonham Carter is not my favourite actress, She has only had a couple of decent performances considering the amount of work she has done, Enid and Fight Club, Which are both good but the rest has been mediocre at best. I'm surprised she gets the work, there are much better actresses than her.
    Forum Member
    Oh
    Is the acting supposed to be pretty awful then?

I must admit Helena Bonham Carter is not my favourite actress, She has only had a couple of decent performances considering the amount of work she has done, Enid and Fight Club, Which are both good but the rest has been mediocre at best. I'm surprised she gets the work, there are much better actresses than her.

I don't know, I haven't seen it, having found realising that Nigel has a cameo in it, the 'shonky acting' comment was obviously meant at Nigel Slater's turn in his cameo rather than the acting in the programme.
    Forum Member
    I don't know, I haven't seen it, having found realising that Nigel has a cameo in it, the 'shonky acting' comment was obviously meant at Nigel Slater's turn in his cameo rather than the acting in the programme.

Oh I see, sorry
    i thought you meant all round.

Saw a trailer earlier on and it looks like it could be worth watching, Looks more like a film though than the usual BBC programmes ,

Well I suppose it could be decent,
    There hasn't been much on this Christmas that was new and good.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this programme in the tv schedule and thought it would be worth having a look at, there is something about him that is a bit 'fascinating' ... . :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I think it looks absolutely amazing!

Can't wait for tomorrow :D
    I ordered the book a few days ago - really looking forward to reading it, I have only heard positive things about it :)

I had heard of Nigel Slater but didn't know of his work :o
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i loved the book and i am so looking forward to this :) i have such a geeky food nerd crush on nigel slater
  • PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I really loved this book, I just finished it a couple of days ago in preparation for watching this programme. I like Helena Bonham Carter and I think it will be a good adaptation - it's been filmed locally to me, in authentic locations reflecting the era the book is set in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this :)
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I too loved the book, and am really looking forward to this, hope I enjoy it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missloo wrote: »
    i loved the book and i am so looking forward to this :) i have such a geeky food nerd crush on nigel slater

Me too! Every one of his recipes that I have tried has come out perfect, and he's fab. "Toast" is a lovely book.
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read the book, don't like Nigel Slater, but this looks interesting and I'll watch anything with Helena Bonham Carter :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be watching. I love these type of things and Helena Bonham Carter was really great as Enid Blyton!

I haven't read the book yet - but I should think I will after I've seen it - I tend to do things the wrong way round!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I haven't read the book yet - but I should think I will after I've seen it - I tend to do things the wrong way round!

Me too haha :D
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Quite looking forward to this, as it looks interesting. Helena Bonham Carter is one of my favourite actresses, who has done some good stuff over the years, so that's also a good reason to watch it.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel is from the same area as me, and I knew a lot of the places mentioned in Toast. So I'll definitely be watching :)