Holidays abroad- worst holiday/country?

boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
Forum Member
✭✭
Reading the "most depressing town" thread gor me wondering what are people worst foreign holiday or country experiences??

Might help people thinking of booking their summer hols soon!!:p

Comments

• teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been to Turkey, and don't want to. From what I've heard it's dirty, the people are dirty, and it's full of rip-offs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tunisia. Everywhere falling to pieces, dirty, feeling of chaos. Got horrible food poisoning, was hassled continously to buy stuff. I was never so glad to leave that place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Never been to Turkey, and don't want to. From what I've heard it's dirty, the people are dirty, and it's full of rip-offs.

I'm with you there. Wouldn't go if you paid me.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germany

Despite having a British passport and travelling with someone else who had a British passport, spent most of the weekend detained by the immigration officers for no apparent reason.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not the part I visited (Fethiye). It was one of the best holidays I've been on. Lovely, hospitable people and everything seemed quite clean to me :)

I didn't enjoy Paris. Now that city was dirty.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Not the part I visited (Fethiye). It was one of the best holidays I've been on. Lovely, hospitable people and everything seemed quite clean to me :)

That's a surprise. I always thought Paris was for the elite and therefore clean. We learn summat new every day don't we?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

INterestingly I went to Turkey a couple of years ago & hated it..... :rolleyes: Yes, ripping off everywhere, sleazy shop owners wanting you in their shops to overcharge you for tat.

Hated the food, nothing like Turkish food over here.

Beach at my resort was crappy.

Tacky eurotrash entertainment on offer. Chav-tastic is not my styel!

I will fully admit I went to the wrong resort. Mine, Icmeler, is regarded as "upmarket" out there, so Id hate to see lower grade!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

:D Did you not enjoy the outdoor museum of dog poo?

Didn't really like Johannesburg. It seemed to consist mainly of places too dangerous to visit.

When I went to Mallorca I was incredibly relieved to find that the three hen parties on my flight were all going to Magaluf, and not to the beautiful mountain areas in the North.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    It's funny how people can form an opinion about a whole country simply by having spent a holiday in one resort
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tunisia. Everywhere falling to pieces, dirty, feeling of chaos. Got horrible food poisoning, was hassled continously to buy stuff. I was never so glad to leave that place.

Mate of mine went to Tunisia & didnt enjoy it cos of harrassment.

we've been to Morocco. Loved it there, harrassment wasnt nearly as bad.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Holland, mainly because I was 2 at the time, so sleeping around was out of the question:p:D
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amsterdam. Filthy, run down, and full of rude people :sleep:
  • stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kusadasi, Turkey. The single biggest shit hole on the planet. The Turkish lads are so creepy it is unreal...the younger the better. The place is filthy. Most of our party got food poisoning. The only reason I agreed to go was that my O/H wanted to go away with her family and her family, who had been several years in a row, said it was amazing. Never ever again. Blackpool but hotter and shitter. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how people can form an opinion about a whole country simply by having spent a holiday in one resort

Would have been nice to have seen the country instead of just a room in the airport.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Germany

Despite having a British passport and travelling with someone else who had a British passport, spent most of the weekend detained by the immigration officers for no apparent reason.

I've been to Germany dozens of times, and immigration is as casual as any other European country (for a European citizen).

Do you have a suspicious criminal record? You were not held for most of a weekend for "no apparent reason". They would have explained quite clearly why in their first interview, as is European law. If you were held for "most of a weekend", it must have been under terrorism legislation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would have been nice to have seen the country instead of just a room in the airport.

That does sound like a pretty bad holiday. I remember a couple of group daytrips to France where customs were embarrassingly racist. Everyone non white got all kinds of hassle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair I visited several on my trip- incl: Marmaris, Dalyan & Bodrum.

Of the lot Bodrum was the best
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tunisia again here, filthy place and the sand was full of bugs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Did you not enjoy the outdoor museum of dog poo?

Didn't really like Johannesburg. It seemed to consist mainly of places too dangerous to visit.

When I went to Mallorca I was incredibly relieved to find that the three hen parties on my flight were all going to Magaluf, and not to the beautiful mountain areas in the North.

Northern Mallorca is nice. Pollensa & Alcudia were v nice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ignorance is wonderful isn't it?

I've been to turgutreis near bodrom, the place was very clean, everything was very reasonably priced, the food was amazing, the people where extremely nice, very gay friendly for muslims which surprised me and whilst a lot of market stalls sold fake gear - they'd tell you it was fake and you'd find loads of stunning local products for pennies. I've still got a lovely marble chess set that I paid about £30 for.

In fact, the only bad thing I can remember is the bloody english chavs at a restaurant demanding burgers because they 'don't want none of that foreign muck'

As far as the worst place to visit, I'd have to say dallas texas. What a horrible, backwards place, mostly populated by horrible, backwards people (In my experience at least)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    Fuerteventura. To be precise, the Tahona Gardens Bungalows. No gardens, not bungalows. Dirty, scummy hole of shite.

Lesson learned, always check out Trip Advisor first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took a teenage drama group to Ludhiana in the Punjab once and managed to book them into a hotel so disreputable and seedy that we ended up having to recruit and pay for an armed guard to patrol outside the girls' bedrooms all night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tenerife. There were hardly any bars or pubs, the food was awful and the people we booked with lied about the area. We got told that our hotel was just across the road from the beach, when in reality the nearest beach was about 5 miles away and what was actually across from us was cliffs and a step-ladder. We were not impressed.

I spent about 2 days in Cairo and while the pyramids and museums were amazing to see, the city itself is horrendous. The river had about 4 foot of rubbish lining either side, the people harrassed me when I didn't buy their things and women spat at me in the street. Two women in the airport toilets tried to make me pay for toilet paper, and even trapped my friend in the toilets until she payed them £5. We were both 13 at the time. There was also some kind of beetle in the pasta bowl on a Nile Cruise that we went on. I don't think I'd ever go back there again, which is a shame as I had always wanted to go there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not in the right ethnic demographic or religion to be held as a suspected terrorist and I've never had problems in any other European country. I don't know what they thought we were doing?

I went to Belgium and Holland in the same couple of years and had no problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tunisia. Got hassled aggressively by locals and Tunis looked like one of the maps on MW2.