Options

What is your eyesight prescription?

Comments

• Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About -2.5D each side for distance.

(Used to be -2.0, which was useful because I was able to get my mum to look through a +500mm objective lens (ie. +2.0D) to get an idea of what things looked like for me (I think she thought I was half-blind if I had to wear specs). Then superimposing my spectacles magically made things clearer again.

Oddly I now sometimes use +2.0 for close-up work..)
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -6 in each eye.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My eyes are bad. i dont know how i got by when i was younger.
    i got contacts when i was 17

_6.50 _7.00
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -0.25, 0.0

Not quite perfect but pretty good.

Lucky!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    About -2.5D each side for distance.

(Used to be -2.0, which was useful because I was able to get my mum to look through a +500mm objective lens (ie. +2.0D) to get an idea of what things looked like for me (I think she thought I was half-blind if I had to wear specs). Then superimposing my spectacles magically made things clearer again.

Oddly I now sometimes use +2.0 for close-up work..)

That is interesting. How come you have + to your prescription rather than the common-?

How does it work?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    That is interesting. How come you have + to your prescription rather than the common-?

How does it work?

+ implys far sightedness and - is the far more common near sightedness.

I am +5.00 on the left and +5.50 on the right.
  • Options
    quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About +11.5 and +12
  • Options
    quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These days such high prescriptions can be rectified with implant/replacement internal lenses such as Artisan and Prelex lenses in addition to the much publicised Lasik treatment.
    Not in all cases. I have incredibly poor vision from congenital cataracts but surgery is impossible due to nystagmus
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -6.50 & -6.25

Can't see a thing without my glasses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I feel bad now reading this thread... -13 and -16. I wear contacts as glasses are still thick even after being thinned :-/
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my 20's my eyesight was up in the -7's but has improved (without surgery, just naturally) to the -5's as I got older. So if you have poor eyesight in your teens/twenties, things may get better.

BTW as my eyesight has improved over the years, what would the point of laser surgery have been in my 20's? If it had been done, but my eyes *improve* naturally, would I now be +2 so requiring specs anyway, or does the laser treatment prevent worsening/improving??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Mostly for glasses/ contacts wearers I guess but open to anyone who knows their eyesight degree

Mine is around -9.75 iirc one eye is better than the other though (prob -9.50)

Pretty bad

what's yours?

Yep I'm about the same as you.

My right eye is -10.75 & left eye -9.25 (roughly).
    Just been to collect my new glasses with the up to date prescription in them today. Didn't bother having the lenses thinned down as I wear contact lenses most the time & glasses are just to put on once I take them out in order to still see whilst getting ready for bed, etc.

Specsavers if you're on the lens mail offer you thinned down for cheaper. I have a strong prescrpition and wear lenses like yourself :)
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DaisieBee wrote: »
    Oh I feel bad now reading this thread... -13 and -16. I wear contacts as glasses are still thick even after being thinned :-/

oh my god somebody with a worse eye sight that me! :D

I am about -11.5 in each eye
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i think it`s +1.50 and +1.25.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My eye sight is terrible, not entirely positive on the prescription, but I can't read anything if it's more than 6 foot away.. and 'm only 24 :(
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My eye sight is terrible, not entirely positive on the prescription, but I can't read anything if it's more than 6 foot away.. and 'm only 24 :(
    I started going shortsighted since age 10. So you're doing right IMO!
  • Options
    loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    I started going shortsighted since age 10. So you're doing right IMO!

I was 3. :eek:

-5, -6 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How does it work?

Short-sighted people use negative powers; those who are long-sighted use positive ones (where the lens is fatter in the middle).

(My prescription is -2.5 for distance, and there is also -1.0 or so for intermediate (eg. for a computer screen). At my age my eyes no longer automatically adjust their focus, so I need different powers depending on how far away things are.

For reading a book, I don't need specs at all (+0.0). But for anything much closer than about 10 inches, I just use off-the-shelf specs with positive lenses, such as +2.0; they are not prescribed. Effectively, they are just magnifying glasses)
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Mostly for glasses/ contacts wearers I guess but open to anyone who knows their eyesight degree

Mine is around -9.75 iirc one eye is better than the other though (prob -9.50)

Pretty bad

what's yours?

Mine's exactly as yours!:eek::( us varifocals) I'm 55 and have always been shortsighted - in my 40s I need the varifocals prescription too. Last year I had to have 4 repairs to my right eye due to retinal detachments from being so shortsighted & they have told me to be aware of my left eye too as it's weak.:rolleyes::(

My glasses cost me £500 + as i Iike Zeiss lens being I wear them all day, every day and theyre lighter on the nose! In fact if I take one lair off I can't see where I've put them so I have to keep an old pair in a place I know incase I can't see where I've put the ones I've taken off. I prefer reading with this, my iPhone near to my eyes rather than put my glasses on to read.

I'm due any day to treat myself, from money I've had from birthdays etc to a new pair.

Oh I do get a free £10 eyesight check & £30 off my £500/600 specs. Better than nothing but it does annoy me at times.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was -10 until I developed cataracts. As a result of the implants used in the surgery they went down to -1.5! Good result from the NHS - although possibly could have been even better.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    -4.50 -4

and astigmatism of 1 and 1.50

I did not even wore glasses/lenses till i was 20, why i became so short sighted all of a sudden seems to baffle the doctors.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've no idea, I just hand over my prescription when I need new glasses, I've never bothered reading it first. I have a general pair for every day use and a pair for reading as I couldn't get the hang of varifocals. I hardly ever wear the general pair and tend to wear the reading glasses all the time as I can see better with them as I'm nearly always reading something or other and it was too much of a struggle with my ordinary specs, couldn't read info on packets when shopping and that sort of thing.
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    +4.5 left eye
    +5.5 right eye
    Long sighted.
    I also have rugby ball shaped eyes and they don't make contact lenses for eyes that shape for this prescription, so lenses don't give me as good vision as glasses do.
    I have my lenses thinned [specsavers] and I have two pairs of specs. One for distance and one for reading.
    I tried varifocals but even with thinned lenses they made my eyes look like those of a bushbaby holding up a magnifying glass.
    I would like varifocals if I could have lenses that didn't make my eyes look huge.

Maybe an optician other than specsavers could give me those, I dunno.

I haven't had a check for laser treatment but I think lens replacement is the advised option for those of us with long sight.
    Laser treatment is better for short sight - or so I'm told.
    But its all so blimmin expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Short-sighted people use negative powers; those who are long-sighted use positive ones (where the lens is fatter in the middle).

(My prescription is -2.5 for distance, and there is also -1.0 or so for intermediate (eg. for a computer screen). At my age my eyes no longer automatically adjust their focus, so I need different powers depending on how far away things are.

For reading a book, I don't need specs at all (+0.0). But for anything much closer than about 10 inches, I just use off-the-shelf specs with positive lenses, such as +2.0; they are not prescribed. Effectively, they are just magnifying glasses)

I am short sighted with astigmatism, and when I lived in another Country, my prescription was always +.
    When in the UK it became - .
    What I find interesting was that my vision was much much better corrected with a + prescription. I have really struggled with all - prescriptions.
    I wonder if there are any Opticians who might be able to shed the light?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am short sighted with astigmatism, and when I lived in another Country, my prescription was always +.
    When in the UK it became - .
    What I find interesting was that my vision was much much better corrected with a + prescription. I have really struggled with all - prescriptions.

Did your eyesight change, or was it just a different convention?

I know my optician talked about the strength of my lenses as thought they were positive, although the written form was negative, which was confusing.

Technically, a lens which is thicker in the middle, like a magnifying glass, has a positive focal length (eg. +400mm as used for telescope or camera lenses), and the power is +2.5 Diopters (1000mm/400mm). Those which are thinner in the middle would therefore have negative powers.

(Hold your specs up a foot in front of your face: if they make things bigger, even if fuzzy, then they'll be positive; if smaller, then negative. And if you rotate them and the image distorts, you probably have astigmatism too!)