The X Factor should celebrate TEN YEARS by...

StubeStube Posts: 16,802
Forum Member
✭✭
Inviting a classic or infamous X Factor contestant/winner on to perform each week of the live shows in the lead up to the final.

Since it's a major milestone, this 10th series needs to have an element of nostalgia about it and I think inviting contestants who blew away the audience either on the show or off the show should be allowed to perform on the results show each week.

If I was a producer, I'd get the following back to perform either their biggest hit since the show (or their new single) or their most memorable performance on the show:

Ruth Lorenzo - Purple Rain / The Night (her new single)
Diana Vickers - Man In The Mirror / Music To Make Boys Cry
Leona Lewis - Summertime / Bleeding Love
Alexandra Burke - Listen / All Night Long
One Direction - Only Girl In The World / What Makes You...
JLS - Umbrella / Everybody In Love
Laura White - Fallin' / You Should Have Known
Little Mix - Don't Let Go / Wings
Olly Murs - She's The One / Dance With Me Tonight
Cher Lloyd - Turn My Swag On / Want U Back

It'd really reconnect viewers with the golden years of the show (2008-2010) along with the moments that were TV Gold (Leona's performances, Laura being eliminated, Ruth's PR performance). I know this is probably quite unlikely to happen but I for one would definitely tune in again to see some of these performances.

Comments

• superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Loveeeeee This Idea!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,430
    Forum Member
    Yeah, Ultimate X Factor!
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be a nice touch :)
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    People would complain about overkill of previous contestants...

Not that i'm completely against the idea, I just think they should have a select few.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should select unexpected past contestants, different from the predictable 1D, Leona and Olly Murs. I'd like to see Joe McElderry, Matt Cardle and Union J but I guess that would be asking for too much.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should select unexpected past contestants, different from the predictable 1D, Leona and Olly Murs. I'd like to see Joe McElderry, Matt Cardle and Union J but I guess that would be asking for too much.

Union J are on it, and Joe is also on the longer version.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    If it's to commemorate 10 years of the show, they should feature the memorable contestants from EACH year, not just the ones they keep showing every year endlessly.
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    If it's to commemorate 10 years of the show, they should feature the memorable contestants from EACH year, not just the ones they keep showing every year endlessly.

problem is some years not one single person is remembered/successful eg.

series 1
    series 4
    Forum Member
    Going on from that last, this twitter account tweeted the other day saying:
    ITV to make X Factor: 10th year anniversary show to include xfactor contestants from all 10 series. Who would you like to see again #xfactor

https://twitter.com/MrCelebUK/status/357065409012318208

Contestants from every series is surely the way to mark 10 years, not just those who've fitted the XF mould.

I assumed from that tweet, IF it's correct that the idea is to make one show featuring past contestants. Many and varied careers have resulted from a number of finalists and tbh, it is getting very boring just seeing a select few over and over and over again each year :o
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To see Ruth do Purple Rain again would make my year. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going on from that last, this twitter account tweeted the other day saying:

https://twitter.com/MrCelebUK/status/357065409012318208

Contestants from every series is surely the way to mark 10 years, not just those who've fitted the XF mould.

I assumed from that tweet, IF it's correct that the idea is to make one show featuring past contestants. Many and varied careers have resulted from a number of finalists and tbh, it is getting very boring just seeing a select few over and over and over again each year :o

I don't see how that's gunna work though

series 1 - no-one was successful apart from G4 but they've broke up
    2 - Shayne was successful for like 2years then flopped
    3 - obviously Leona
    4 - no-one
    5 - JLS obvs
    6- olly murs
    7. 1D obvs
    8 - little mix
    9 - james Arthur

so the problem lies with s1, s2 and s4 so they cant have an act on for every year
    Forum Member
    problem is some years not one single person is remembered/successful eg.

series 1
    series 4

I disagree. It depends you mean by remembered or successful. Rhydian's first two albums match the success of Joe's and he has starred in a number of WE musicals. He is still very well remembered wherever he appears and is used as one of the 'names' to publicise the shows.

If you simply measure 'success' as how many pop records you sell, then it's a bit of a narrow perspective. A successful and enduring career is a success too, is it not?

G4 had a successful run while they were a group, just because that success came to an end, then so has Shayne Ward's then.

I suppose my point is if a show is to mark 10 years, then the whole 10 years should feature. They could also include memorable contestants like Jedward, Wagner, Chico and the like, they all captured the public's attention and have sustained a career (well I dunno about Wagner lol)

Anyway, for me it should be about the whole package, not the same handful of acts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. It depends you mean by remembered or successful. Rhydian's first two albums match the success of Joe's and he has starred in a number of WE musicals. He is still very well remembered wherever he appears and is used as one of the 'names' to publicise the shows.

If you simply measure 'success' as how many pop records you sell, then it's a bit of a narrow perspective. A successful and enduring career is a success too, is it not?

G4 had a successful run while they were a group, just because that success came to an end, then so has Shayne Ward's then.

I suppose my point is if a show is to mark 10 years, then the whole 10 years should feature. They could also include memorable contestants like Jedward, Wagner, Chico and the like, they all captured the public's attention and have sustained a career (well I dunno about Wagner lol)

Anyway, for me it should be about the whole package, not the same handful of acts.

I doubt very much acts that don't still have a career now would agree to come back and perform though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping that by including Joe and Shayne in the video they're going to do something with the main winners. However they parted company with SyCo, they're the winners of their season and should be commended as such. The public voted for them to win. Show off the talent the show has produced by a range of acts instead of just pop like 1D and Olly. (They're good but diversity in performers are to).

I'd like a winners performance from more than just the prior season (I do like James but I'd like the other winners on too). I don't know how likely that is to happen though, given they need other acts, non reality TV to use a wide term acts, to publicise music too, maybe a "X Factor famous" and a regular one each week?
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's going down the route of showcasing contestants from every series then I guess...

Series 1 - Rowetta (she's had quite a long low-key career)
    Series 2 - Shayne Ward (no one can deny his moderate chart success)
    Series 3 - Leona Lewis (obviously)
    Series 4 - Rhydian (he's been a small sucess)
    Series 5 - Alexandra Burke, JLS, Diana Vickers, Ruh Lorenzo, Laura White (all of them should feature)
    Series 6 - Olly Murs, Joe McElderry (as much as I disliked him, Danyl was also the star of the series [if not afterwards :p])
    Series 7 - One Direction, Cher Lloyd
    Series 8 - Little Mix
    Series 9 - James Arthur
    Series 10 - the winner

But I would completely exclude series 1 just because there was not a single remembered contestant from it (bar Steve who would never be invited back). Series 4, at a push, could be included with Rhydian. I never liked him but he was the star of series 4. From Series 5 onwards, there were contestants who shined on the show and others who shined in the charts. There should definitely be a mix of commercial successes and viewer favourites. For example, Ruth and Laura never set the charts alight but are both seen as classic XF contestants - Ruth for PR and Laura because of her elimination. I don't like the guy but Danyl should be invited back just because he was series 6. Olly might have had the music career but Danyl defined the series - along with Jedward. Series 7 should feature Cher and 1D simply because they were the most talked about and the most successful from the series worldwide.
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the biggest winners from the past 10 years should all collaborate at the final and do maybe a medley of their hits?

The "group" could consist of Little Mix (four girls) and Joe, James, Shayne and Matt (four guys).

Alexandra and Leona could do a separate performance as a duet. :p
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    I'd like them to do two per series with possibility of 3 (bar S1)
    S2 - Shayne Ward and Chico
    S3 - Leona and Ben/Ray
    S4 - Same Difference and Rhydian
    S5 - Alexandra and JLS (maybe Diana)
    S6 - Joe and Olly (maybe Stacey)
    S7 - One Direction and Cher (maybe Wagner)
    S8 - Little Fix, Amelia and Misha/Johnny
    S9 - Union J and Ella
  • EEAS1997EEAS1997 Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm to be honest, I don't think that having a former contestant on each work would work. I think the ratings need rising, and I think that big name performers would help this, not former contestants who have questionable success. However, what I do think would be amazing would be the mash up performed on one of the live shows. Imagine having Leona, 1D, Olly, Cher, LM all on the same stage performing. That would keep the element of nostalgia but not an overkill by having contestants on each week.

Talking about the new advert, I think it's odd how Matt has been cut off anything X Factor related? He may not be seen as a huge star as such, but when you put it into perspective he's actually had an impressive career. Ok, he might not have achieved a global mainstream status, but to deny his success I think is quite insulting to him. Be fair. He's sold 2M records, had two top 10 albums, one number one and number six, and his debut album 'Letters' went platinum. A flop? I think not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Union J are on it, and Joe is also on the longer version.

I mean as guests on the show, union j might be at some point but Joe and Matt would just be a miracle, even if they did put Joe in the mash-up, same with Shayne.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe each show they get all the acts from each series on? Like, for the first live show they get all of series one acts back to perform?

That would be nice.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If not this idea, then a 'Where are they now/What are they doing ' documentary would be nice :)
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they'll inevitably have "X Factor" as one of the week's themes, so all the contestants have to perform a song that has been released by a past contestant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea but I wouldn't want them on every week, it's already gonna be enough of them on anyway promoting their new stuff.

Maybe they should do a one off special programme like a week before launch show. Or even just before XF2013 Launches the same night, kinda like a countdown to XF2013. Call it "A decade of X factor" and talk about the past 10 years, with past winners and contestants, all talking about their time on the show, how they enjoyed it what they did afterwards etc... even try and get all previous judges in on it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    As much as Olly and 1D have done extremely well for them, I still think it should be the winners. I don't know if the damage there is done for Matt but maybe not for Shayne and for Joe. I really do think the male winners are underrated. Matts got a lovely tone to his voice, Joe is the male equal to Leona in terms of vocal strength and Shayne could have been the UKs Timberlake. Such a shame ;____;
  • clare32clare32 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EddyEagal wrote: »
    Hmm to be honest, I don't think that having a former contestant on each work would work. I think the ratings need rising, and I think that big name performers would help this, not former contestants who have questionable success. However, what I do think would be amazing would be the mash up performed on one of the live shows. Imagine having Leona, 1D, Olly, Cher, LM all on the same stage performing. That would keep the element of nostalgia but not an overkill by having contestants on each week.

Talking about the new advert, I think it's odd how Matt has been cut off anything X Factor related? He may not be seen as a huge star as such, but when you put it into perspective he's actually had an impressive career. Ok, he might not have achieved a global mainstream status, but to deny his success I think is quite insulting to him. Be fair. He's sold 2M records, had two top 10 albums, one number one and number six, and his debut album 'Letters' went platinum. A flop? I think not.

Totally agree