Matt gets Terminator role

Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
Forum Member
Matt has landed a major role in the new Terminator trilogy, starring in all 3 films :):
http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/matt-smith-terminator-major-role-doctor-who/

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome - wonderful to see :)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Good on him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh, I've been rather cynical about this new Terminator film, but this is really good news. Not getting my hopes up just yet, but he'll be great to see anyway.
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will be back!
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I actually was secretly hoping Matt would end up in Star Wars- he could be fantastic as that slightly eccentric and gruff English gent Jedi following on from Obi-Wan- this is still good news. Even if the films aren't stellar its a big deal and if his performance is good enough that's what will count. After all Christian Bale emerged from the car crash of Terminator Salvation totally unscathed so even in the worst case scenario of this trilogy being as bad as that it won't all be a loss.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,243
    Forum Member
    Considering that John Connor has already been cast yet there saying Matt has a major role with a strong connection to John Connor, I'm thinking maybe he could be the Kyle Reese character perhaps, but with more screen time than the original one, over the whole trilogy.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Kyle Reese has already been cast. A good article with speculation here:

http://cblend.co/1fBmjr7
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt has landed a major role in the new Terminator trilogy, starring in all 3 films :):
    http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/matt-smith-terminator-major-role-doctor-who/
    That's great news, steady work for a steady actor.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll get a 'Net Points' cheque for years.

Good for him.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Good news. :)
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Well I hope they're better than the two disappointing releases post T2. :(

Matt'll be the "quirky but loveable British genius scientist, half brother to our lead character, John Connor, who invents the time travel device and accidentally lets Skynet have it too".

Fingers crossed it will be better than that.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ^Let's hope it's not that, as that would be typecasting.
  • zort70zort70 Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Someone had to do it -

Terminators are cool
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I hope he transports to the present day from the future.
    They always turn up naked :)
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Seriously. I hope it's a lot better than the last two.

Nobody in Hollywoodland has any idea how to continue a movie series after James Cameron's done with it! It's not just Terminator, even Ridley Scott didn't know how to do an Alien (sort of) prequel. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Seriously. I hope it's a lot better than the last two.

Nobody in Hollywoodland has any idea how to continue a movie series after James Cameron's done with it! It's not just Terminator, even Ridley Scott didn't know how to do an Alien (sort of) prequel. :o

I just think there's not an awful lot left you can do with the Terminator franchise, at least not if they're shoving Arnie back in. It could be interesting if he played a human role which the Terminator was based on or something similar, but by the sounds of it they're trying to rely on the nostalgia and success of the first two films by sending him back to the same time. I'd rather they just continued on from Salvation (which admittedly wasn't great, but better than the third), and gave audiences the future war we see in T2 instead of travelling back in time again.

I suppose we'll see, hopefully I'll be proven wrong and it'll be great!

(Also, Prometheus... Oh God...)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fear we're approaching Highlander: the Source territory.

As the rights revert back to Cameron in 2019 if they are going to churn out a trilogy they need to do it quickly