ITV Local

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
Forum Member
ITV's new local service looks like a really good idea! I've seen local media in Germany, where they have newspapers for towns and 30-minute local news etc., and it seems ITV are going down this route too, except with documentaries, weather, local short films... shame it's only online.

However, I think there should be a local news programme broadcast on the normal ITV1 output instead of a regional one.

What does everyone else think? And also, is this the death knell for local newspapers?

- Fox

Comments

• marbles333marbles333 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FoxDougan wrote:
    ITV's new local service looks like a really good idea! I've seen local media in Germany, where they have newspapers for towns and 30-minute local news etc., and it seems ITV are going down this route too, except with documentaries, weather, local short films... shame it's only online.

However, I think there should be a local news programme broadcast on the normal ITV1 output instead of a regional one.

What does everyone else think? And also, is this the death knell for local newspapers?

- Fox
    Broadcasting seems to be going an ever more national way, and Grade has mentioned on numerous occasions that he plans to see off all non-news regional programming on ITV schedules by DSO, however he does seem insistent that ITV's regional status is a way forward for the broadcaster.

Personally, I don't know what to think of the ITV Local service. On one hand, there's much more on-demand content and variety, but on the other, its going to get much less viewership-wise and is an excuse to clear regionality from ITV.

As for the Channel 3 output; regional programmes should stay broadcast in their own regions only. Unfortunately, most regional programmes are made on the cheap, and no way should the whole country have to put up with dire content from somewhere perhaps hundreds of miles away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marbles333 wrote:
    Broadcasting seems to be going an ever more national way, and Grade has mentioned on numerous occasions that he plans to see off all non-news regional programming on ITV schedules by DSO, however he does seem insistent that ITV's regional status is a way forward for the broadcaster.

Personally, I don't know what to think of the ITV Local service. On one hand, there's much more on-demand content and variety, but on the other, its going to get much less viewership-wise and is an excuse to clear regionality from ITV.

As for the Channel 3 output; regional programmes should stay broadcast in their own regions only. Unfortunately, most regional programmes are made on the cheap, and no way should the whole country have to put up with dire content from somewhere perhaps hundreds of miles away.
    Erm yes we know, the reason for ITV Local Online (wich i agree looks good) is because there lowering regional content on ITV 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eamondo wrote:
    Erm yes we know, the reason for ITV Local Online (wich i agree looks good) is because there lowering regional content on ITV 1.
    ...hence my general negativity in ways of replacing regional television. ITV seems to be sending mixed ideas about its regional status, that's all I was saying.

BTW, anyone know when it's getting extended past Central, Meridian and London?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I wasn't suggesting, instead of watching a regional news programme, that we watch a five minute round-up of each region!

Out local news would just be broadcast to that local area. Wrexham would be the only place to receive Wrexham's news, for example.

The studios would be smaller and cheaper. Just have 4 (much more in cities like London) small studios in one location per region and it would be sorted. A team of 3 people per report (reporter, cameraman, editor) with 3 reports, a news roundup and an interview and that's your local news programme.

As they're doing with the current ITV Local, they'd get students involved to make reports and you'd get more focused advertising.

I certainly know I'd be much more likely to watch local news as opposed to regional, as I really don't care what's happening on the other side of the region as I don't live there.

- Fox
  • TOON FANTOON FAN Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marbles333 wrote:
    I've seen a lot of Tyne Tees output like Crimefighters on Men and Motors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    TOON FAN wrote:

Hm, Crimefighters. I'm not exactly itching to watch the next edition :P

TTTV used to make great shows like The Tube and more recently they made the '100 Greatest' series for Channel 4... they just need to be commissioned and TTTV is fine for making them.

- Fox
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOON FAN wrote:
    Also a lot Carlton/LWT content is shown on Sky channels, most notably Sky Travel and Sky Three.

Still, that is some of the better stuff, a lot of the regional programmes today are a load of codswollop, well the Granada ones are at least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Just look what is happening with Channel M in Manchester - Local tv seems to be the way forward
  • spacepostmanspacepostman Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, Channel m is going from strength to strength, they have just started a 3 hour 6am - 9am Live Breakfast slot going head to head with the BBC and GMTV.