2013, but the internet doesnt exist!

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ishina wrote: »
    People wouldn't be able to pretend to be an expert on any subject that takes their fancy.

Shhhh, don't give away the secrets.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'd have to use books from the library for my assignments instead of going through the articles online
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember when The Times ran a big annual quiz competition called 'Tournament of the Mind'?

Every day for about 4 weeks, there would be 5 questions, all of which required great feats of mathematical brilliance, lateral thinking, or just detailed research to answer.

I imagine the answers to every Tournament of the Mind question from the 80s could be found online within minutes, so if there were no Internet, maybe the Times would still be doing that?

EDIT: Ah! And here's the self-proclaimed geek who won it!

http://johnsadventures.com/2008/03/27/my-5-minutes-of-geek-fame/
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'd have to watch more TV
    I'd have to buy CDs instead of downloading music from iTunes
    I'd have to spend hours searching through hundreds of books to find something rather than finding it in a few seconds on Google
    I'd be bored stiff without Youtube
    I'd be lost without DS and MacRumors forums
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    'What a crazy state of affairs! Its 2013 and no one has invented the internet'. That what you think as you wake up in the morning to start your day.

But what of that day? What would a day in your life be like without t'internet? Sure, big companies use networked systems to exchange information and we can use basic messaging services on computers, but that's about it. The internet as we know it never took off - there is no world wide web, just nerdy networks used for business purposes.

What would be the biggest changes that you think you'd notice if the WWW didn't exist as the open source, cultural, all consuming thing that it actually is?

For anyone born before 1990, you can probably remember a time when the internet played no part in your life, so bring that experience to the present day - how would it affect your day to day life, technology, culture etc?
    My job would exist, but in a more bureaucratic, less effective way. There would still be bookshops and CD shops on the High Street. I'd get frustrated that I couldn't check bus or train delays like I used to in the early 1990s, except by phoning the company direct. But, back in those days, I COULD phone direct, and speak to someone actually working there. Outsourcing offshore would be much lower key, for instance.

I'd be less well informed than I am now, and unable to check the facts and offer instant rebuttals as I do presently, when told complete ill-informed rubbish ;-)
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    For people living in North Korea, the internet doesn't exist.
    It does, but only for a select few.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have to go back to paying £4 for a single (where, inevitably, I'd only like the first track).
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Surely the very fact that you are complaining that no one has invented the internet means that (a) you know what 'internet' means and (b) by default it must exist, at least in theory. :)
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have to buy the racing post and go to the bookies to do my betting every Saturday.

When jobhunting, it would be a matter of walking around town looking for posters in windows like the old days.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    plastik2k9 wrote: »
    Or brush up on my programming and be a software engineer.

<sob>

It's a profession, a trade, not some sort of holiday job. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I'd have to buy the racing post and go to the bookies to do my betting every Saturday.

When jobhunting, it would be a matter of walking around town looking for posters in windows like the old days.

Which is probably still preferable to online job searching.
    2013 and no internet ?, I'd have to talk to people and get a girlfriend.