Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 16)

Comments

• Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you had a good day Sats. Haven't seen anything yet but will watch the highlights later.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    Glad you had a good day Sats. Haven't seen anything yet but will watch the highlights later.

To be honest neither side set the world on fire, typical charity shield, but we so rarely beat Chelsea nowadays, a win must be savoured.

Loved the way the fans cheered Cech every time he touched the ball, he seemed really chuffed at the end at the reception we gave him. It felt much more secure without that clown Chesney between the posts.
  • Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A loss in this type of game will never define the season but a win will certainly help.

Breaking ODL's duck again Maureen early will lift the team and the fact that our No1 player will return by the time we play our first 'big' game against Pool will be huge.

It will be all about the first 5/8 games. Get though those and we can start hoping. Czech's addition may well prove decisive!
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very happy with the win today; it may only be a pre-season friendly as such but winning is always good for confidence especially against a side we rarely beat. Mourinho wasn't happy and neither was my Chelsea-supporting friend - I loved it! :D
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    satellite wrote: »
    Just got back from Wembley. Was nice to see Arsene's first win over Jose!

Our fans sure love Petr Cech. :)
    Signing Cech is a game changer. Reminds me of Campbell all those years ago, even if he played in a completely different position.

Get Benzema in and who knows what this team might be capable of.
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    Just catching up on the game. Nice win today! Confidence seemed high. Hope it's the shape of things to come.

Hi Sat! Glad you had a good day.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    We were better than them yesterday.

I think if we can add another one or two players of real quality before the window closes, this squad could really do something this season.

And what about Mourinho? What a prick. Standing there to congratulate our players as they came down, knowing full well that Wenger would ignore him. That was the whole idea behind it. Transparent and lacking class as always.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there were some shaky goalkeeping performances over the last few years, but not so much that they cost us the premier league or the champions' league.

No, for me that was down to poor defending and a lack of goals. I think there are still questions over whether Giroud and Walcott can score 25-30 goals this season in the premier league. Fortunately, goals will come from players across the team. Whether this will be enough to win the league we'll have to wait and see. The defending seems to be stronger, but the true test will come during the season.

Consistency is the key across the WHOLE season. There have been so many false dawns before, that I will remain positive but grounded.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    We were better than them yesterday.

I think if we can add another one or two players of real quality before the window closes, this squad could really do something this season.

And what about Mourinho? What a prick. Standing there to congratulate our players as they came down, knowing full well that Wenger would ignore him. That was the whole idea behind it. Transparent and lacking class as always.

Totally classless. I have disliked a few football managers over the year but Mourinho is at the top of my most disliked. I called him Moronic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Totally classless. I have disliked a few football managers over the year but Mourinho is at the top of my most disliked. I called him Moronic.

I agree Jose is a knob, but if Arsene's had been the bigger person and just gone over and shook his hand he would have been the better person & shut him up. Whereas today none of the talk is about us winning, it's just about the handshake situation - which is probably what Mourinho wanted.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    I agree Jose is a knob, but if Arsene's had been the bigger person and just gone over and shook his hand he would have been the better person & shut him up. Whereas today none of the talk is about us winning, it's just about the handshake situation - which is probably what Mourinho wanted.

Yes, I agree, Mourinho would have been gob-smacked.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member

Unlike Mourinho, Wenger only does things for genuine reasons - not to play up to the cameras and the press like it's all some sort of silly game.

Why should he shake his hand? Mourinho has been continuously disrespectful to Wenger for years. Even in recent press conferences it has continued. Why would you shake someone's hand if they have behaved like that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tiron wrote: »
    Just catching up on the game. Nice win today! Confidence seemed high. Hope it's the shape of things to come.

Hi Sat! Glad you had a good day.

Hi Tiron, hope you're keeping well. Back for the madness of the next season eh :)
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    great to get one over Mourinho and about time. Now for a league fixture double please.

Doubt we'll get anyone else in. Coquelin with Arteta as cover, and Giroud/Theo/Welbeck (not forgetting Alexis) as the striker/s. I still think we need world class reinforcements in both positions to really challenge for the PL, never mind the CL.
    I'm still perplexed by £140k a week for Theo as it'll drive the wages of everyone else up, meaning not enough money for a serious bid on any new, world class players.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    Unlike Mourinho, Wenger only does things for genuine reasons - not to play up to the cameras and the press like it's all some sort of silly game.

Why should he shake his hand? Mourinho has been continuously disrespectful to Wenger for years. Even in recent press conferences it has continued. Why would you shake someone's hand if they have behaved like that?

Spot on. All this nonsense about how Wenger was rude and should have shaken his hand needs to be put to bed. This was not about respect, just a desperate cry for attention. So sad that somebody has to make everything about him, and cause issues wherever he goes.

Anyways enough about him, do you guys geniunely think Benzema is good enough?

I personally would have loved Suarez, but Lewandowski would be great too, obviously both are very unlikely. I know just having Giroud and Walcott for the whole season isn't enough, but who is out there that we can get who we know will slot in very well?
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Benzema would be a great signing, but unfortunately I also think he's just angling for a pay rise at Madrid.

I think Wenger will pull something out of the hat before the window closes.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    I think Wenger will pull something out of the hat before the window closes.

I don't and there is no way Benzema is coming. This is it.

What encourages me most is Wenger is able to show some flexibility in tactics rather than going out all-guns blazing and getting beaten 6-0, we now are able to play a more sensible type of football depending on the opponents.

We need to do Chelsea what they always do to us. Make sure we don't lose away and then beat them at home.

I think a lot of this season will depend on injuries - both to us and our opponents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidT wrote: »

Uh oh, luckily, we're OK in midfield (for now anyway). Injuries up front and or in defense and we'll struggle once again...

Akpom's gone to Hull on loan. Good move for him, I'd say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to be a worry that its his ankle again.
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Looks like he's trying to impress Wenger by getting injured already :)

Would be a great addition and with him and cech would add a good few points on last season.
  • Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from Wembley. Was nice to see Arsene's first win over Jose!

Our fans sure love Petr Cech. :)

I'm glad cech got such a great reaction.

Was also great that Wenger got one over Mourinho, hopefully will help the psychology of the team.
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack possibly out for three months with a break in his leg.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    Jack possibly out for three months with a break in his leg.

And so it begins again.
This discussion has been closed.