Options

The Africa Channel falls off air.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,383
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Africa Channel has fallen off air on satellite (and Virgin Media).

They have made a statement that this is "due to technical issues" and that they "hope to be back shortly."

As they are only showing black level in silence at the moment, Sky have removed them from the EPG.

In the meantime, Virgin Media have put up a slate to say that the channel is "temporarily unavailable" and that they "hope to be able to show this channel again."

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like someone has not been paying their transmission bills.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    You don't get removed from the EPG if you have a technical issue.
    You get removed because you've not paid a bill somewhere and ran out of time to pay it!
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a selection of Nollywood African movies now on Netflix UK, available in HD.
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Africa channel now has the Technical Fault Message, it disappears for a few seconds then comes back on.
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Sky remove channels from the EPG that are currently unable to provide a stable transmission.

If Africa Channel are really having transmission issues then they would get removed from the Sky EPG.

But also, if they haven't paid a bill somewhere in the chain then they wouldn't be able to provide a stable transmission.
    popeye13 wrote: »
    You don't get removed from the EPG if you have a technical issue.
    You get removed because you've not paid a bill somewhere and ran out of time to pay it!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Africa channel now has the Technical Fault Message, it disappears for a few seconds then comes back on.

All I'm getting on 209 is 'channel unavailable' in red and no screen at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I'm getting on 209 is 'channel unavailable' in red and no screen at all.

I'm assuming that the channel was accessed off the EPG by manually tuning it in.

I've just read in another thread that it's back on air now, with the quality of a DVD player!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now off the air again. As per the satellite news thread, it has been removed from the EPG and is broadcasting nothing.
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now back on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Now back on air.

Not on Sky 209 it isn't

What channel number are you watching on?
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Africa Channel is still on Black Screen and off the EPG
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not on Sky 209 it isn't

What channel number are you watching on?
    I didn't say back on Sky EPG 209, I said back on air.

Anyway it's now off air again, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Africa Channel is still on Black Screen and off the EPG
    It was back on air (not on EPG) for a short time earlier which could indicate it's a temporary problem they're trying to fix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Virgin Media seem to be under the impression that this closure is permanent.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Facebook, Africa Channel are saying it's just temporary and the channel will return shortly (again).

https://www.facebook.com/TheAfricaChannelUK/posts/974994355878901?comment_id=975657459145924
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now broadcasting on satellite again, still waiting for confirmation as to whether it is on the EPG or not. Tuning details are 12.663 H, 22.000, 5/6, DVB-S, QPSK.

On Virgin Media the following slate is being shown on this channel: "This channel is off air. Sorry, but we're no longer able to bring you this channel".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now broadcasting on satellite again, still waiting for confirmation as to whether it is on the EPG or not. Tuning details are 12.663 H, 22.000, 5/6, DVB-S, QPSK.

On Virgin Media the following slate is being shown on this channel: "This channel is off air. Sorry, but we're no longer able to bring you this channel".

Now received confirmation that it is broadcasting off the EPG.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could it be readded either tomorrow or Monday perhaps
  • Options
    Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Africa Channel is back now. However, does anybody know - why do they keep falling off air? Are they not paying their satellite transmission bill or something? Would think it is very likely the channel will cease broadcasting - since they left the Sky pack, and went FTA on satellite, I would guess paying the bills just from advertising has become increasingly difficult. Was a decent channel - will be a shame to lose it.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to watch "Desmond's" on that channel!
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Africa Channel is back now. However, does anybody know - why do they keep falling off air? Are they not paying their satellite transmission bill or something? Would think it is very likely the channel will cease broadcasting - since they left the Sky pack, and went FTA on satellite, I would guess paying the bills just from advertising has become increasingly difficult. Was a decent channel - will be a shame to lose it.

I get the feeling that they are paying any transmission bill but somewhere in the background the money is not getting released on time. Does seem strange how many times it has fallen off air.

Maybe they have answered some of those emails that I keep getting about winning some lottery I've never answered and are still waiting for the money :D
  • Options
    90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    It looks like The Africa Channel is unlikely to return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90s fan wrote: »

Sad news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90s fan wrote: »

Indeed, after allowing a dead air channel to remain on the EPG for more time than I can remember them giving any other channel, Virgin Media finally lost patience and removed by them last Friday.

As at 31 August, The Africa Channel were pleading for more time to "get back to normal".
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is still available on several Caribbean satellite platforms and the internet.