Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
Forum Member
Just one month until this is finally released. Who is else is looking forward to this?

September 1st: PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360

September 15th: PC

It's a shame what happened between Hideo Kojima and Konami, even though Konami has promised to continue making more MGS games without Kojima, The Phantom Pain feels to be the true swan song for the series. Sad to see it end after so many years but here's hoping it's as great as it looks.

Gameplay:

E3 2015 gameplay

Freedom of infiltration demo

Cinematic trailer:

E3 2015

Part of me is worried the game will end up being too easy with a couple of the AI buddies and equipment being way overpowered (also considering the game is set in the 80s), so I hope there's enough reward and incentive to be stealthy rather than go into missions with guns blazing. What's certain is that the game will have so much fun and replay value from the open non linear missions and the different resources to build up and utilize.

Story wise, there appears to be so much weird and unexplained stuff going on and I'm kind of hoping for an MGS2 style twist to mess with my head and make me question it all even more. But I'm looking forward to seeing how Big Boss's transformation into main villain is handled, and also:
If the Skullface guy is part of Big Boss's imagination; and
if Eli is who I think he is, and what's his involvement in the story

Comments

• ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    You know after MGS 4's disappointment: I am not looking forward to this one; not helped that I didn't like Ground Zeros.

I am also not a big fan of open-world games - open spaces yes, but not a true sandbox type adventure.

Also, with Kojima's name being taken off the title: it looks like he wasn't totally in control or certainly was not give free reign in development.
    So in all, not getting my hopes up!
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    The Metal Gear Solid series sucks donkey balls 😝

I'll get my coat 😳
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I was also disappointed by MGS4 but this game couldn't be more of a departure from it. Very few cutscenes it seems, also seemingly shorter and nowhere near as light on gameplay.

I'd rather pretend Ground Zeroes didn't happen, although it has been useful in providing the developers with enough feedback to improve TPP, especially the controls and animations.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    I liked MGS4 to be honest.

As a fan of the series thats played every game & has a decent grasp on the plot I felt MGS4 did what I wanted it to do as far as explaining more of & pretty much ending the solid snake story arc.

Looking forward to MGS5, Loved peace walker & enjoyed ground zero's so since MGS5 is more of both on a bigger scale I can't see myself not enjoying it, Plus everything i've seen/heard of it so far has really got me excited.

Greg Miller of Kinda Funny Games played about 16 hours of it over 2 days at an event & did a Q&A about it, Says it was awesome & has said several times since that its his game of the year so far:
    http://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames/v/5979271
    Forum Member
    the ocelot wrote: »
    I'd rather pretend Ground Zeroes didn't happen,
    Was it not designed to be the 1st mission in MGS5 but Konami pushed Kojima to release it as a standalone game because of how long it was taking to finish the full game & they wanted something out.

Thats part of why I'm worried about MGS post Kojima & would rather the series end for good after 5. Kojima takes as long as he does because he cares about quality which is something I don't believe Konami do.
    Forum Member
    Was it not designed to be the 1st mission in MGS5 but Konami pushed Kojima to release it as a standalone game because of how long it was taking to finish the full game & they wanted something out.

That's true, and recent rumours suggest this may also be a reason why they both parted ways.

Kojima is a bit of a maverick and his work completely flies in the face of Japanese corporate culture (enjoying being credited for his own work, setting up a company in his own name) as well as taking so much time and going over budget to make sure his finished game is as polished as possible.

I wonder how miffed Konami were at having to split MGSV into two, but I noticed the fallout happened in March shortly after TPP's release date was announced.
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped playing MGS after MGS4, played the Peace Walker demo but couldn't get into it. I'd be interested in giving 5 a try but do I need to have played Ground Zeroes first?
    Forum Member
    dellzincht wrote: »
    I'd be interested in giving 5 a try but do I need to have played Ground Zeroes first?
    I'd say yes because MGS5 starts out directly after the events of ground zero's with what happens at the end of GZ in particular been fairly important.

With GZ been so short & the overall style of the game been so different to MGS5 (Not open world, missing many of the mechanics that are in 5) you could probably get away with watching a play-through just to get a grasp on what happens plot wise.
    Forum Member
    Update: The PC release date is now on September 1st. Not the 15th.

Metal Gear Online, the online component of the game is delayed until October 6th.
    Forum Member
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Eh, that trailer was kinda basic Hollywood wub wub style, you can already tell Kojima isn't there.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure i'm interested in this given I haven't played 4. There is a big difference between the last MGS game I played, and what it is now.
  • RS_mark84RS_mark84 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its on my to buy list, buy i'm not that interested in buying it straight away. Deffo be sometime till its in my shopping basket.
    Forum Member
    Not sure i'm interested in this given I haven't played 4. There is a big difference between the last MGS game I played, and what it is now.

Ehh, 4 is at the END of the timeline, and really not the best. MGSV is the transitional game between the Big Boss era (MGS3, Peace Walker, Ground Zeros) and the Solid Snake era (MG1, MG2, MGS1, ...). To really understand all the plot points and links of course having played all of them works, but just for the MGSV, then playing at LEAST MGS3 (and maybe watch a playthrough of Peace Walker) followed by Ground Zeros is all you need.
    Forum Member
    Gamescom 2015 Mother Base/Forward Operating Base Demo

Just skip to 17:10 when the FOB demonstration begins.

Looks absolutely sick, as a PVP experience I'm looking forward to FOB invasions (developing your own base from resources collected in the game and have rival players invade to steal your resources) much more than the multiplayer. Just a shame all that gadgetry would likely be unlocked and developed much later in the game, it looks like it will add to such an epic game of cat and mouse between two players.
    Forum Member
    For anyone who cares about resolution/frame-rate MGS5 will run at 1080p/60fps on PS4, 900p/60fps on XB1.

720p/30fps on PS3 & XB360.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-ps4xbox-one-re/1100-6429559/
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    For anyone who hasn't yet seen the sweet metal gear themed PS4

http://cdn4.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/MGS5PS4.jpg

That's a damn nice console.
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't yet seen the sweet metal gear themed PS4

http://cdn4.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/MGS5PS4.jpg

That's a damn nice console.

Kojima has also confirmed that it'll be the newer type PS4's as well, the slightly quieter and less energy using ones, in case anyone was worried about having to choose between them.
  • finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just got a copy of this free with a new graphics card. I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game before, couldn't tell you a thing about them. I know they're pretty heavy on story though, but are they standalone as well or am I going to be completely lost not knowing the history?
    Forum Member
    finkly wrote: »
    I've just got a copy of this free with a new graphics card. I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game before, couldn't tell you a thing about them. I know they're pretty heavy on story though, but are they standalone as well or am I going to be completely lost not knowing the history?

You're gonna be pretty confused, you'll be able to follow the basics but a hell of a lot of this is relying on people to know the past MGS games in at least some way.

If possible at LEAST watch a Lets Play on YouTube of Metal Gear Solid 3 followed by Peace Walker to catch yourself up on the chronological plot so far, and then play Ground Zeros and Phantom Pain.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finkly wrote: »

Not really played it myself until I downloaded ground zeroes. Really enjoyed it and not just because it was free. I'm getting phantom pain because it looks great. Yes it helps to have played the previous games but Its not gonna be a deciding factor for me.
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Not really played it myself until I downloaded ground zeroes. Really enjoyed it and not just because it was free. I'm getting phantom pain because it looks great. Yes it helps to have played the previous games but Its not gonna be a deciding factor for me.

Ground Zeros was EXTREMELY Plot Lite for a MGS game and was only done to serve as an introduction for XOF and what caused the coma..

Trailers and stuff alone have shown heavy links to previous MGS games that would be a lot more rewarding for players if they at least understood the basics, which is why I'd say ANYONE needs to at least play/watch Metal Gear Solid 3 and Peace Walker before playing MGSV to understand the characters who will be heavily mentioned and brought up.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Cant wait to press the triangle button and make my horse do a shit...
  • wolverinewolverine Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question for those buying this on the Interweb: As Monday 31st August is a bank holiday, the game will likely arrive on the 1st and not sooner, correct?
    Forum Member
    To help people at least get into the story and the basics of where this game will follow, he's some movie edited versions of the games broken down into watchable chunks:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Virtuous Mission (40 minutes 23 seconds)
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (3 hours 40 minutes)

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Prologue (20 minutes 10 seconds)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Chapter 1 (1 hour 16 seconds)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Chapter 2 (21 minutes)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Chapter 3 (31 minutes 20 seconds)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Chapter 4 (47 minutes)
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - Chapter 5 (31 minutes 17 seconds)

This will cover you for all characters and events chronological wise leading right into Ground Zeros and of course The Phantom Pain, so you'll have a much greater understanding of what most of the game will be referencing and just who exactly the bad guys are here. Considering you guys still have over a week to go before the game is out, I'd say the above should be manageable. :)