Options

Why I am leaving - with a hint of sadness

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
Forum Member
I have enjoyed TUTV for 18 months or so but have now cancelled my subscription - even though they offered me a lot of goodies to keep me - for the following reasons;
  • Repeats of repeats such as Medium , which used to be the only US programme we watched.
  • 'showcase' , if thats the best on offer I dread to think what the worst is like
  • A list of subscription channels that seemed to have become a BBC Worldwide subscription
  • The availability of content through iPlayer and SeeSaw which reflects the programming I actually want to see.
  • When we started with TUTV 9.99 was a reasonable price for the offer, 11.99 is now getting close to prices on the Murdoch channel.
I really am sad that I'm leaving but it was good while it lasted and maybe a HD box may tempt me back in the future, if Ive upgraded to a HD TV by then. I will keep looking into the forum and hope it prospers.

Comments

• Options
    aljdaviealjdavie Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am with Sky and although there are much more channels, most of them are repeats !

I have a question for you, did you get ukgold ? If so was it 24 hour ?

The TYUTV doesn't seem to show gold at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aljdavie wrote: »

I have a question for you, did you get ukgold ? If so was it 24 hour ?

The TYUTV doesn't seem to show gold at all.

Last time I looked I got G.O.L.D . UKGold no longer exists it split into comedy and drama streams. GOLD is the comedy but the crime (Alibi iirc) is not on TUTV
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    mistabee wrote: »
    Last time I looked I got G.O.L.D . UKGold no longer exists it split into comedy and drama streams. GOLD is the comedy but the crime (Alibi iirc) is not on TUTV

And its not on 24 hours either, Live it's on in the evening but the TUTV box records shows from it.
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it that quite a few unsubscribed on here, the forums been quite dead lately.

I really hop TUTV produce a TUTV HD box their existing box looks terrible on it, perhaps if they make the menu systems 16:9 it would loo ka bit better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I take it that quite a few unsubscribed on here, the forums been quite dead lately.

I really hop TUTV produce a TUTV HD box their existing box looks terrible on it, perhaps if they make the menu systems 16:9 it would loo ka bit better.

I know what you mean, at least get the interface in say 720p/1080i, and fit an upscaler too.

BT did this and it's prooven to work well. it's what TUTV should do next.

Although technically speaking they could make a HD box now that supports Freeview HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

IMO it's quiet these days on here because most of the issues that people came on to grumble about have been resolved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bell boy wrote: »
    IMO it's quiet these days on here because most of the issues that people came on to grumble about have been resolved.

Correct.

Azimo likes to remind us that. that is not true.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even if they don't want to offer HD they may need a Freeview+ HD box that supports TUTV Anytime otherwise some may give up TUTV for BBC HD/ITV HD and C4 HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO it's quiet these days on here because most have given up on TUTV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    azimo wrote: »
    IMO it's quiet these days on here because most have given up on TUTV.

I've personally almost "given up" on here because the whole point of swapping help and discussion on a forum gets boring when some people are here for only one reason - which I still cannot understand.
    Richard
    PS The box is totally fit for purpose - it never lets me down. I love it so much I've bought a second for the kids.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    RichardLister.
    You're not the only one who feels that way.
    Regards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    oscar1 wrote: »
    RichardLister.
    Regards

Plus 1.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RichardLister.
    Regards[/quote
    ]
    I've personally almost "given up" on here because the whole point of swapping help and discussion on a forum gets boring when some people are here for only one reason - which I still cannot understand.
    Richard
    PS The box is totally fit for purpose - it never lets me down. I love it so much I've bought a second for the kids.

Plus 2

PS My box is totally fit for purpose - it never lets me down. I love it so much I may get another box for another room.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't go as far as saying the box works properly now, I came across this site not too long ago when my box started playing up and is still not resolved . I have noticed that Kieron has been remarkably absent/quiet since the last all singing and dancing update as to whether they are going to fix the 'features' that were introduced.

What I can't understand is why people with the same box and the same software don't have the same problems.

I'm currently trying to watch everything so that I can try a reversion back to 4.09 (Thomson). I do not want to risk it before it's watched incase everything disappears.

Maybe the reason the forum is quiet is people have given up trying to get things fixed or possibly given up with TopUpTV fullstop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PlayerUK wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as saying the box works properly now, I came across this site not too long ago when my box started playing up and is still not resolved . I have noticed that Kieron has been remarkably absent/quiet since the last all singing and dancing update as to whether they are going to fix the 'features' that were introduced.

What I can't understand is why people with the same box and the same software don't have the same problems.

I'm currently trying to watch everything so that I can try a reversion back to 4.09 (Thomson). I do not want to risk it before it's watched incase everything disappears.

Maybe the reason the forum is quiet is people have given up trying to get things fixed or possibly given up with TopUpTV fullstop.

Out of interest what issues are you having with the current release of the software that you would want to revert to an older less stable version?
  • Options
    smitj017smitj017 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive given up with top-up tv. When my 4th box broke, although I got it replaced, It just sits in the loft, doing nothing, as my contract with AOL for bb and phone had ended, and what it cost for dreadfull broadband, phone, and top up tv, was arround the same price as a HD package with sky. Get many more programmes, and allthough half of it is repeats, I have not seen a lot of these programmes in the first place. The HD box has not crashed once, and worked as soon as the engineer left, unlike tutv which took quite a few days to activate. another nice thing is the magic eye thing, which tutv dossent support
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bell boy wrote: »
    Out of interest what issues are you having with the current release of the software that you would want to revert to an older less stable version?

Since the new software I have serious problems with deleting watched programmes. Unfortunately it is completely random, today I might only be able to delete one and the box will crash tomorrow it might be four. When it crashes it has to be unplugged before it will work properly again, and when it reboots more often than not the programmes you've just deleted are back again :(

This one might just be coincidence as I don't remember it happening before but at times the box will crash during playback, ok a duff recording, these things happen. So why will the same prog play all the way through on the menu/preview window and I've also found that once you know where the crash bit is you can fast forward passed it too.

With the last software the only problems I had was the trick play sometimes played up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    forum bug
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PlayerUK.
    Are you giving the delete process time to complete it's task?
    There are times when I think nothing is happening but then whoosh "bye bye " recording
    Just a thought that may be of help.
    Hope THIS post doesn't get deleted.
    Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PlayerUK.
    Are you giving the delete process time to complete it's task?
    There are times when I think nothing is happening but then whoosh "bye bye " recording
    Just a thought that may be of help.
    Hope THIS post doesn't get deleted.
    Regards

Not sure what you mean about giving it time to delete, I have no control over it as the box shuts down and reboots but then it won't do anything until I unplug it from the mains and reboot it again. On restart more often than not the deleted programmes are back. If I do manage to complete a deletion or two I power the box down, unplug it and then reboot it as the only way of guaranteeing that it will stay stable.

Also I don't try and delete when the box is recording which I know has given other people problems. So for me this version of the software is driving me nuts :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PlayerUK.
    Oh ok sorry I thought your box just sat there doing nothing,
    There was a thread a while ago about turning off the small preview windows that appear.
    Sorry I don't have a link to that.
    Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could give that a try as it can't make it any worse.

The only problem I ever had with the previous software was the random start position at times from either fast forward or rewind.

I ever used series link for two weeks and found I'd got something like 10 episodes of Flashforward, which I believe is down to the broadcaster and not the box anyway.

I've had the live TV buffer enabled the whole time I've had the box and until I found these forums just before Christmas I didn't know that it caused all sorts of trouble for some people.

As I said previously I don't understand why the same firmware on the same boxes can give such varied results.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sorry double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why the same firmware on the same boxes can give such varied results

Nor me ! Mine works fine .

Forgot to mention the buffer thing.
    Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Until recently (and the infamous Mayday crash last year !) I have had great service from the box, lasted at least as long as my previous PVR and people were amazed I had a 'Sky Plus' box without Sky !
    The box was certainly not the cause of my leaving TUTV. I'd have bought another one if the content were there.