The Jane Danson/Leanne Barlow appreciation thread

Comments

• Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Well, she didn't spend a long time in Liverpool, did she? >:(>:(:D I agree it was good to finally hear a Janice mention. I never liked Janice, but I did think her relationship with Leanne worked brilliantly.

Those spoilers cast a whole new light on this Nick/Leanne fallout. Suddenly I'm not feeling quite so bad about Leanne laughing when he gets his car clamped or whatever. The guy's acting like a prize arse.

I have to say, as cheesy as the dialogue was, I did love that Kal/Leanne scene where she finally chose him! Seeing her all happy and giggly was so refreshing! Pity it won't last much longer with Nick's antics and Kal's mother probably being against her. On the plus side, the daughter seems fine with it as does Sharif, so fingers crossed|!
    :D
    :)
    GracieL wrote: »
    Thank you.
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick to death of people always bringing up Leanne's past if she does one thing wrong/makes mistakes and all of it was over at least 5 years ago. If you look through old threads a lot of people enjoyed Leanne's stint as a prossie/having an affair. IMO a lot of other characters have done a lot worse and never been pulled up for it

It's just the way it goes on here for some characters, unfortunately. During one of the many tiresome Carla/Leanne threads on the main forum a couple of posters finally said that soap characters' pasts are always full of bad stuff so no-one can take any sort of moral highground. It won't change anything though; if you hate a character then you'll always throw their 'colourful' past at them.
    Haven't seen the episode yet but I'm glad Leanne mentioned Janice, I liked Janice on and off depending on what her story is, but I always felt the Leanne and Janice relationship was one of the best mother and daughter relationship in soaps. But I also enjoyed Leanne and Stella as they were completely different relationships just a pity the producers didn't develop it further.

That was a huge problem for me. So much could've been done but it wasn't. I feel like they did the whole Stella-getting-run-over thing to skip all the diffuclt bits that this SL would involve; Leanne having trouble dealing with the abandonment issues etc. The running over stuff seemed like a quick fix for Leanne to accept Stella and everything was ok after that. Don't get me wrong, I did like Stella and I think Leanne and Eva work well together, it just felt rather forced sometimes whereas we'd seen Leanne and Janice together from scratch.

Very interesting interview there! I'm intrigued about this other SL that "reveals Nick's true colours". It was nice to hear her praising her on-screen other halves too :) It does sound like it's all going to be another poisonous fallout though :(

Oh, and 'Just Nick's'?? Oh dear.... I think even baby Jerk would cringe at how immature that move is :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.soapsquawk.co.uk/news/corrie-spoiler-nick-and-kals-war-.php#results

This is insane! Nick's allowed to shout his mouth off and get personal, but Kal isn't? I'm kind of looking forward to this in a twisted way. I really hope Kal hands Nick his arse!*

*Yes, I'm being shamelessly biased :D
  • Gunner DLGunner DL Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, she didn't spend a long time in Liverpool, did she? >:(>:(:D I agree it was good to finally hear a Janice mention. I never liked Janice, but I did think her relationship with Leanne worked brilliantly.

Those spoilers cast a whole new light on this Nick/Leanne fallout. Suddenly I'm not feeling quite so bad about Leanne laughing when he gets his car clamped or whatever. The guy's acting like a prize arse.

I have to say, as cheesy as the dialogue was, I did love that Kal/Leanne scene where she finally chose him! Seeing her all happy and giggly was so refreshing! Pity it won't last much longer with Nick's antics and Kal's mother probably being against her. On the plus side, the daughter seems fine with it as does Sharif, so fingers crossed|!

Can anyone else fathom WHY it was part of the plot that Leanne had to go away? Her seize the day/reunion with Kal could easily have come about from her attending Tina's funeral with Simon, which would have felt more natural.

That said, it was good to have a mention of Janice etc and always good for Leanne to see family. :)

I did think it was quite sweet if a bit cheesy when Leanne and Kal finally got together. It's nice that she's sort of giddy and it all feels genuine.
    Yes Natasha made a big deal out of Leanne being a prostitute and purposely told Nick and IIRC Nick has never been bothered about Leanne's past.

I'm sick to death of people always bringing up Leanne's past if she does one thing wrong/makes mistakes and all of it was over at least 5 years ago. If you look through old threads a lot of people enjoyed Leanne's stint as a prossie/having an affair. IMO a lot of other characters have done a lot worse and never been pulled up for it.

Haven't seen the episode yet but I'm glad Leanne mentioned Janice, I liked Janice on and off depending on what her story is, but I always felt the Leanne and Janice relationship was one of the best mother and daughter relationship in soaps. But I also enjoyed Leanne and Stella as they were completely different relationships just a pity the producers didn't develop it further.

Looking at the spoilers, Nick seems awful this week not just the Leanne stuff but the stuff with Gail and Michael Rodwell. Nick has every right to be upset but he's just causing trouble out of jealously/spite and Leanne has every right to work at the Bistro and get a share out of it. I do have a feeling this is going to be a messy divorce...

BIB1: I remember the scene in the Rovers where Natsaha started going on about all that, and Leanne told her: "You look down your nose at me again and I'll break it off!"

They really should have done more with Leanne and Stella, such a wasted opportunity.
    It's just the way it goes on here for some characters, unfortunately. During one of the many tiresome Carla/Leanne threads on the main forum a couple of posters finally said that soap characters' pasts are always full of bad stuff so no-one can take any sort of moral highground. It won't change anything though; if you hate a character then you'll always throw their 'colourful' past at them.

That was a huge problem for me. So much could've been done but it wasn't. I feel like they did the whole Stella-getting-run-over thing to skip all the diffuclt bits that this SL would involve; Leanne having trouble dealing with the abandonment issues etc. The running over stuff seemed like a quick fix for Leanne to accept Stella and everything was ok after that. Don't get me wrong, I did like Stella and I think Leanne and Eva work well together, it just felt rather forced sometimes whereas we'd seen Leanne and Janice together from scratch.

Very interesting interview there! I'm intrigued about this other SL that "reveals Nick's true colours". It was nice to hear her praising her on-screen other halves too :) It does sound like it's all going to be another poisonous fallout though :(

Oh, and 'Just Nick's'?? Oh dear.... I think even baby Jerk would cringe at how immature that move is :D

:D:D How very narcissistic!
    http://www.soapsquawk.co.uk/news/corrie-spoiler-nick-and-kals-war-.php#results

This is insane! Nick's allowed to shout his mouth off and get personal, but Kal isn't? I'm kind of looking forward to this in a twisted way. I really hope Kal hands Nick his arse!*

*Yes, I'm being shamelessly biased :D

Nick was being so snotty with his "You don't work here any more!" and I thought his giving back the ring was a bit over the top. You told her that you wanted to separate!

Leanne and Kal = glued at the hip! If only it would last!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the double post, but I'll forget about this link if I don't share it! :D

http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/coronation-street/news/jane-danson-picks-leannes-corrie-highlights-the-battersbys-came-in-with-a
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner DL wrote: »
    Can anyone else fathom WHY it was part of the plot that Leanne had to go away? Her seize the day/reunion with Kal could easily have come about from her attending Tina's funeral with Simon, which would have felt more natural.

That said, it was good to have a mention of Janice etc and always good for Leanne to see family. :)

BIB1: I remember the scene in the Rovers where Natsaha started going on about all that, and Leanne told her: "You look down your nose at me again and I'll break it off!"

I don't understand why the writers put Janice into the storyline, maybe so Nick could take Simon to the funeral by himself? I think Leanne got seize the day idea from Mary when she said she wanted to learn chinese. I really want Janice to return now especially since Cilla is :D

Haha I loved Leanne and Natasha's arguments, Natasha was right though Nick loved Leanne and not her.

Thanks for this, enjoyed reading it :)
  • Ashley79Ashley79 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Leanne is one of my favourite characters and Jane is an amazing actress. Her work on the live episodes for the 50th Anniversary was first class, so professional and a pleasure to watch.
    Her relationship with Kal doesn't work and im hoping it will fritter out pretty quickly as I don't rate Jimmy as an actor but i'm glad they are re-visiting the old Leanne a bit and Jane is getting more screen time again. It will definitely mix things up.

MORE LEANNE PLEASE!!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashley79 wrote: »
    Leanne is one of my favourite characters and Jane is an amazing actress. Her work on the live episodes for the 50th Anniversary was first class, so professional and a pleasure to watch.
    Her relationship with Kal doesn't work and im hoping it will fritter out pretty quickly as I don't rate Jimmy as an actor but i'm glad they are re-visiting the old Leanne a bit and Jane is getting more screen time again. It will definitely mix things up.

MORE LEANNE PLEASE!!! :)

http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, another birthday for Leanne, and another day of stress and annoyance! :D>:(

Still, not quite as life-changing as 2011 – God, where does the time go?

I can understand Nick wanting to fight over the divorce, but his pettiness in ruining Leanne's birthday, promoting Steph etc etc... is too much for me. I'm so glad that Steph can actually see it for what it is – she deserves better than to be on the receiving end of his petty and unprofessional behaviour.

Kudos to the writers for once for Leanne knowing that Nick has no grounds to sack her at all and could sue for unfair dismissal – a touch of realism at last!

I still quite like Kal and Leanne, I still think it could have been a lot better, but there's potential there. I liked the way he stood up to Nick and threw in that cutting jibe about hitting women and that it was his business if Leanne was upset.

I love the scenes between Leanne and Eva – really nice humour and zip between them. Such a shame that it took so long for them to get there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been away for a few days.

It seems Leanne didn't have much of a birthday.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Felt so sorry for Leanne when she was getting questioned by Kal's mum and the stuff about her having a fractured past was horrible, it sounds like Leanne is in for a tough ride convincing Kal's mum that she's worthy of Kal. I dread to think what Kal's son is going to say....

Nick was vile to Leanne last night, I think quitting was the best thing but he had no right dredging up Leanne's past, for one thing he wasn't even there when she was a lap dancer or prossie and he's hardly in any position to judge.

Well, another birthday for Leanne, and another day of stress and annoyance! :D>:(

Still, not quite as life-changing as 2011 – God, where does the time go?

I can understand Nick wanting to fight over the divorce, but his pettiness in ruining Leanne's birthday, promoting Steph etc etc... is too much for me. I'm so glad that Steph can actually see it for what it is – she deserves better than to be on the receiving end of his petty and unprofessional behaviour.

Kudos to the writers for once for Leanne knowing that Nick has no grounds to sack her at all and could sue for unfair dismissal – a touch of realism at last!

I still quite like Kal and Leanne, I still think it could have been a lot better, but there's potential there. I liked the way he stood up to Nick and threw in that cutting jibe about hitting women and that it was his business if Leanne was upset.

I love the scenes between Leanne and Eva – really nice humour and zip between them. Such a shame that it took so long for them to get there!

BIB- I know right I can't believe she 33! and that it was 3 years ago and still married to Peter! makes me feel old and I'm younger than her. So much has happened since in three years.

BIB2- Nick really needs to grow up, at least Audrey was there to see how horrible Nick is. It's nice how Steph's fighting Leanne's corner, it was a good scene with Leanne and Eva in the Cafe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello all! Sorry I haven't popped in here too much recently :blush:

Had to do a quick catch-up of a few eps as I've fallen out the loop again!
    Managed to watch Friday's ep before and it wasn't pleasant viewing :( Dark Nick's an arse, but I really am finding him way more entertaining than Normal Nick. There was just no need for that rant to Kal's family though and I did feel so sorry for Leanne when she ran back into the flat and broke down :( I'm not liking the cliché SL of mother-in-law-at-odds-with-new-girlfriend which I presume is going to happen now? I aldo have to add that I'm not keen on some of Leanne's flippant remarks about Kal's wife or about Nick's brain damage (wearing it as a badge of honour?? Not a very nice thing to come out with).

On the plus side, I love the fact that the Leanne/Eva relationship is getting better and better :D

Ps. Hope everyone is well! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Managed to watch Friday's ep before and it wasn't pleasant viewing :( Dark Nick's an arse, but I really am finding him way more entertaining than Normal Nick. There was just no need for that rant to Kal's family though and I did feel so sorry for Leanne when she ran back into the flat and broke down :( I'm not liking the cliché SL of mother-in-law-at-odds-with-new-girlfriend which I presume is going to happen now? I aldo have to add that I'm not keen on some of Leanne's flippant remarks about Kal's wife or about Nick's brain damage (wearing it as a badge of honour?? Not a very nice thing to come out with).

On the plus side, I love the fact that the Leanne/Eva relationship is getting better and better :D

:):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nick may be annoying and acting like a total arse, but at least he's not two dimensional like he was before (especially pre marrying Leanne) and that was so unfair on Leanne telling the family she use to be a former prossie. Even Gail is say that he was vile with Leanne! (though that may have something to do with Michael..). Though I did find it quite funny Leanne shouting up to the flat about her taking cocaine and an burning down the restaurant for insurance.

I get what you mean about cliche mother in law SL. It's so tedious and boring, with the usual she's an ex call girl, has a bad past and not good enough for my son etc. It doesn't help that the actress who plays Kal's mum is so wooden. We had the same with Gail (though slightly different). At least Deirdre liked Leanne!

I'm loving the Eva and Leanne scenes and their relationship. It's great to see them getting on so well and supporting each other. It's certainly improve since Stella left and stopped interfering.

I'm good thanks :D hope your well :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get what you mean about cliche mother in law SL. It's so tedious and boring, with the usual she's an ex call girl, has a bad past and not good enough for my son etc. It doesn't help that the actress who plays Kal's mum is so wooden. We had the same with Gail (though slightly different). At least Deirdre liked Leanne!

I've never seen Leanne fit so effortlessly into a family like she did with the Barlow lot! There's still a big part of me that's fuming about the assassination Corrie did with Peter/Leanne. There was real character development for Peter when he A) chose to take Leanne back after Nick and B) did the right thing, for once, and turned Carla down when she made her advances. Why the hell any of that was undone, I will never know. Now look at Peter; a hideous, sleazy, pathetic drunk who's blaming St Ronseal for the mess he's in. Nice work, Corrie! *roll eyes*
    I'm loving the Eva and Leanne scenes and their relationship. It's great to see them getting on so well and supporting each other. It's certainly improve since Stella left and stopped interfering.

Amazed Stella wasn't back in her best beige outfit to mourn the demise of St Ronseal! :p
    I'm good thanks :D hope your well :)

Good good :)

Things are a little bit hectic for me right now, so I've been better! I've still got Monday and tonight's Corrie to catch up on too :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen Leanne fit so effortlessly into a family like she did with the Barlow lot! There's still a big part of me that's fuming about the assassination Corrie did with Peter/Leanne. There was real character development for Peter when he A) chose to take Leanne back after Nick and B) did the right thing, for once, and turned Carla down when she made her advances. Why the hell any of that was undone, I will never know. Now look at Peter; a hideous, sleazy, pathetic drunk who's blaming St Ronseal for the mess he's in. Nice work, Corrie! *roll eyes*

Amazed Stella wasn't back in her best beige outfit to mourn the demise of St Ronseal! :p

Things are a little bit hectic for me right now, so I've been better! I've still got Monday and tonight's Corrie to catch up on too :o

I loved Leanne's interaction with the Barlow's, they all supported Leanne and Peter as a couple and they didn't judge Leanne. I didn't feel that Leanne connected to the Platt's/Tilsley's until Nick's car accident. I suppose it didn't help with Gail thinking that Nick was to good for Leanne.

It still beggars beyond belief why Collinson decided to mess up that lovely family unit, I personally didn't see the chemistry between Carla and Peter (though my view is slightly coloured as I was big Liam and Carla fans). I wouldn't have minded so much if they stayed together and lasted the distance, not for Peter to go off and have an affair with the local barmaid, after all they did go on about all that claptrap that they're soul mates, but Carla and Peter only lasted about as long as Leanne and Peter, so a complete waste of time. On the plus side Leanne doesn't have to put up with that drunken mess that is Peter which is now Carla's problem. I'll be saddened to see Chris Gascoyne go, but I can't wait till Peter leaves, can't bear to look at his miserable face anymore.

I did wonder why Stella wasn't on the first flight back for St Ronseal's funeral, a pity she didn't have the back room free for a cosy chat with Tina's mum.

I hope things get much better for you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Felt so sorry for Leanne when she was getting questioned by Kal's mum and the stuff about her having a fractured past was horrible, it sounds like Leanne is in for a tough ride convincing Kal's mum that she's worthy of Kal. I dread to think what Kal's son is going to say....

Nick was vile to Leanne last night, I think quitting was the best thing but he had no right dredging up Leanne's past, for one thing he wasn't even there when she was a lap dancer or prossie and he's hardly in any position to judge.

BIB- I know right I can't believe she 33! and that it was 3 years ago and still married to Peter! makes me feel old and I'm younger than her. So much has happened since in three years.

BIB2- Nick really needs to grow up, at least Audrey was there to see how horrible Nick is. It's nice how Steph's fighting Leanne's corner, it was a good scene with Leanne and Eva in the Cafe.

BIB: That scene didn't feel very natural to me, it wasn't like they were all sitting down chatting as you might when you meet your other half's family for the first time, it did feel like an interrogation. It was a sad but true line about her fractured past.
    Hello all! Sorry I haven't popped in here too much recently

Managed to watch Friday's ep before and it wasn't pleasant viewing :( Dark Nick's an arse, but I really am finding him way more entertaining than Normal Nick. There was just no need for that rant to Kal's family though and I did feel so sorry for Leanne when she ran back into the flat and broke down I'm not liking the cliché SL of mother-in-law-at-odds-with-new-girlfriend which I presume is going to happen now? I aldo have to add that I'm not keen on some of Leanne's flippant remarks about Kal's wife or about Nick's brain damage (wearing it as a badge of honour?? Not a very nice thing to come out with).

On the plus side, I love the fact that the Leanne/Eva relationship is getting better and better

Nick's revealing of Leanne's past to Kal's family was so over the top. It was so bitter and harsh. it's a shame because to an extent, everything had gone well before then. All of those things in her past are unrelated to the person she is now. I agree that the conflict with the mother-in-law is a bit of a cliche. While it was good that Leanne did have that scene with Kal's mum where they talked a bit more, it felt a bit off to me that Leanne had so many cards stacked against her.

I loved it when Sally could see Nick's intentional cruelty for exactly what it was and walked out.

BIB: I'd have to watch it again, because I'm not certain and I could well be wrong, but I thought that Leanne's line about competing with a dead woman came after her discussing Simon with Kal and thus was a reference to Lucy? (which then led to her realising the faux pas with regards to Kal's late wife?) Although I'm not sure if that really would work, because she never really competed with Lucy, so I'm probably just rambling.

Was the brain-damage-badge line harsh? Absolutely. For me, though, it was absolutely true because I felt that was what Nick was doing with Michael – threatening him with the fact that he could almost get away with it and be irresponsible for his actions, where he was just being calculating and devious like he had been in times before his injury. And even Gail can see that, which is saying something!

Nick may be annoying and acting like a total arse, but at least he's not two dimensional like he was before (especially pre marrying Leanne) and that was so unfair on Leanne telling the family she use to be a former prossie. Even Gail is say that he was vile with Leanne! (though that may have something to do with Michael..). Though I did find it quite funny Leanne shouting up to the flat about her taking cocaine and an burning down the restaurant for insurance.

I'm good thanks hope your well

BIB: Yes! And I did laugh when Kal's mum (is she called Yasmeen, I forget?) called it a 'rowdy-fishwife routine!' :D

BIB1: I think I've said this before, but I think that a lot of that had to do with the fact that Ken knew her for so long, he'd seen how she'd been as a teen and the woman she'd grown into and he respected that she'd grown and changed but was still vulnerable and human and could make mistakes. They very rarely were at odds with each other – I do recall that he was very unimpressed with the plan for Peter and Leanne to open the Joinery and really took it out on Leanne – but they made up in the end.
    I think you're right, though, there was a certain natural feel to it all.

BIB2: i hope things slow down a bit soon.

I think something might have been cut from Monday's second ep? The EPG said Kal and Leanne feel the strain, but neither appeared in the episode! :D
    I loved Leanne's interaction with the Barlow's, they all supported Leanne and Peter as a couple and they didn't judge Leanne. I didn't feel that Leanne connected to the Platt's/Tilsley's until Nick's car accident. I suppose it didn't help with Gail thinking that Nick was to good for Leanne.

It still beggars beyond belief why Collinson decided to mess up that lovely family unit, I personally didn't see the chemistry between Carla and Peter (though my view is slightly coloured as I was big Liam and Carla fans). I wouldn't have minded so much if they stayed together and lasted the distance, not for Peter to go off and have an affair with the local barmaid, after all they did go on about all that claptrap that they're soul mates, but Carla and Peter only lasted about as long as Leanne and Peter, so a complete waste of time. On the plus side Leanne doesn't have to put up with that drunken mess that is Peter which is now Carla's problem. I'll be saddened to see Chris Gascoyne go, but I can't wait till Peter leaves, can't bear to look at his miserable face anymore.

I did wonder why Stella wasn't on the first flight back for St Ronseal's funeral, a pity she didn't have the back room free for a cosy chat with Tina's mum.

I hope things get much better for you :)

BIB: :D

ITV Encore on Sky is showing 'Always and Everyone' at the moment. I recorded one on the off chance on Friday and it was Jane's first episode! :) And who else was in the cast but Connor McIntrye, aka Pat Phelan! Then I saw one on Monday and Graham Hawley (Stape) popped up! He didn't have any scenes with Jane, but Connor certainly did... must have been a bit of a reunion on Corrie, although I don't think Phelan had any screen time with Leanne!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let's hope Leanne and Nick come to some sort of an agreement before this drags out for to long. It looks like Yasmeen is going to get worse next week.

I wonder if Leanne would visit Peter in jail, I do hope we get to see some nice scenes between Leanne and Peter before Chris Gascoyne leaves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let's hope Leanne and Nick come to some sort of an agreement before this drags out for to long. It looks like Yasmeen is going to get worse next week.

I wonder if Leanne would visit Peter in jail, I do hope we get to see some nice scenes between Leanne and Peter before Chris Gascoyne leaves.
    Thanks for the spoiler pics, Gracie. I love the caption: We're not convinced that's going to go down very well. :D:D

Poor Simon. Leanne's despair really got to Rob tonight! It's a bit of a shame that everyone seems to be so accepting with the police's theory that Peter was to blame. I mean, it's not like theCorrie cops even have a good track record! :D

I liked Kal sticking up for Simon etc in the midst of the gossips. Good job. :)
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think there could be some nice scenes before Peter leaves.
    As Rob is leaving later this year, he could be discovered as the real murderer, leading to Peter making his peace with anyone he can, such as Leanne, before he himself leaves