My theory on ninth dr titanic/kracatoa/JFK pics in "rose"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,148
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well everyone thinks that the doctor has had several adventures before meeting Rose in 2005, due to the pictures in Clive's shed, and this contridics (kind of) the fact that he only just sees what he looks like in Rose's flat.

I Reckon that the doctor's photos/pictures he is in changes to suite his present regenration, for example, if a companion took a photo of the 4th Doctor say, it'd resemble the 10th doctor now...

Does that make any sense? Would it even be possible? Or would it contradict an earlier episode?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    It was suggested when this "bug" was first noticed, that those adventures were the 9th Doctor, but somehow, he just hadn't bumped into his reflection until Rose's flat.
  • CraigpughCraigpugh Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or he went on those adventures while rose was asleep, or somewhere else in between telly stories. season 1b anyone (no, please , dont start)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Or Rose was with him and had done the standard companion thing of being kidnapped/captured by the iceberg/islanders/Lee harvey oswald, hence why she isn`t in the pictures
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Rose was with him and had done the standard companion thing of being kidnapped/captured by the iceberg/islanders/Lee harvey oswald, hence why she isn`t in the pictures
    Or Rose took the pictures ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There could have been months or even years (in The Doctor's timeline) between dematerialising near the end of Rose, and then coming back to say "Did I mention it also travels in time?" and picking her up. Plenty of opportunity for solo adventures.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote:
    There could have been months or even years (in The Doctor's timeline) between dematerialising near the end of Rose, and then coming back to say "Did I mention it also travels in time?" and picking her up. Plenty of opportunity for solo adventures.

We'll never know as I can't see Big Finish being able to sign up Eccleston
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    The Doctor mentioned that he was once on an unsinkable ship and ended up clinging to an iceberg in "End Of The World". So if that was the Titanic and he was the 9th Doctor at that time, the photo was most likely taken before "Rose".
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NAF wrote:
    Well everyone thinks that the doctor has had several adventures before meeting Rose in 2005, due to the pictures in Clive's shed, and this contridics (kind of) the fact that he only just sees what he looks like in Rose's flat.

I Reckon that the doctor's photos/pictures he is in changes to suite his present regenration, for example, if a companion took a photo of the 4th Doctor say, it'd resemble the 10th doctor now...

Does that make any sense? Would it even be possible? Or would it contradict an earlier episode?
    I don't see how or even why that would happen. There'd need to be some kind of magical powers affecting every drawing, photo, CCTV camera, etc, that's ever captured an image of the Doctor. There is one example I can think of from the past where he sees an old picture of himself in 'Timelash', where the Sixth Doctor sees an old painting of the Third.

As for Clive's photos, there are a couple of explanations. One is that Rose was with him on those adventures, but since she'd already seen the pics in Clive's shed she knew not to mess up the timeline and so stayed out of shot!

Alternatively, when the Doctor looks in the mirror and notices his ears, perhaps he's just had a haircut? There is actually some evidence for this - in 'Aliens Of London' the Doctor is given a ID badge with his name and photo on it, and someone freeze-framed it and blew it up and you can see it's actually an old photo of Christopher Eccleston with longer hair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mansun wrote:
    I don't see how or even why that would happen. There'd need to be some kind of magical powers affecting every drawing, photo, CCTV camera, etc, that's ever captured an image of the Doctor. There is one example I can think of from the past where he sees an old picture of himself in 'Timelash', where the Sixth Doctor sees an old painting of the Third.

As for Clive's photos, there are a couple of explanations. One is that Rose was with him on those adventures, but since she'd already seen the pics in Clive's shed she knew not to mess up the timeline and so stayed out of shot!

Alternatively, when the Doctor looks in the mirror and notices his ears, perhaps he's just had a haircut? There is actually some evidence for this - in 'Aliens Of London' the Doctor is given a ID badge with his name and photo on it, and someone freeze-framed it and blew it up and you can see it's actually an old photo of Christopher Eccleston with longer hair.
    Will these RTD lovers stop at nothing to cover a plot hole? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    --As for Clive's photos, there are a couple of explanations. One is that Rose was with him on those adventures, but since she'd already seen the pics in Clive's shed she knew not to mess up the timeline and so stayed out of shot! --

I love that theory It's honestly the best theory i've read for this situation! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NAF wrote:
    --As for Clive's photos, there are a couple of explanations. One is that Rose was with him on those adventures, but since she'd already seen the pics in Clive's shed she knew not to mess up the timeline and so stayed out of shot! --

I love that theory It's honestly the best theory i've read for this situation! :)
    That's a great theory, or perhaps Rose was taking the photo's or drawing the sketches.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I think Photoshop had a part to play in this mystery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the doctor couldnt have done it in the time between '...italso travels in time' because clive already had the photos, so the doctor would have already made them happen :confused: its all very confusing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the doctor couldnt have done it in the time between '...italso travels in time' because clive already had the photos, so the doctor would have already made them happen :confused: its all very confusing
    If this concept confuses you, maybe you should change your name to "crap timelord"! ;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Slug wrote:
    If this concept confuses you, maybe you should change your name to "crap timelord"! ;):D

yes with each new post from me, my name does become rather ironic :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes with each new post from me, my name does become rather ironic :o
    Particularly as you are becoming less silent as well. A double whammy! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Slug wrote:
    Particularly as you are becoming less silent as well. A double whammy! :)

i am considering a rename of not-so-silent-rather-crap-timelord but i will save myself the embarrasment :D;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member

Only if you think of time as linear.

BAD WOLF showed up in London in 2006 in Aliens of London, yet Rose put them there 9 episodes (and nearly 200000 years) later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Clive's timeline, it was before, in the Doctor's, after. In linear time (that the viewer had when we had not been following the Doctor), it had already happened too.

For an example of linear (observed) and personal timelines diverging from The Doctors, see Elizabeth I at the end of Shakespeare Code, and the Doc's appearance to Martha at the start of Smith and Jones. Same principle.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it Russell T Davies himself that came up with the cheeky little idea that the Doctor's photo changes when he regenerates? I'd actually take that over all the bollocks of him going on those adventures with Rose, which is highly unlikely.

But maybe it WAS the first time he'd seen his reflection in 'Rose'. I mean, have we ever seen Tennant's Doctor look in a mirror? A few solo adventures between the end of the Time War and 'Rose' aren't out of the question. To me it doesn't seem as though 'Rose' takes place immediately after the cataclysmic events.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote:
    There is one example I can think of from the past where he sees an old picture of himself in 'Timelash', where the Sixth Doctor sees an old painting of the Third.
    Good point. Also, the Cybermen viewed recordings of past Doctors during Earthshock. If still images change when the Doctor regenerates, surely the same must apply to moving images?
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, Clive having the images of the 9th Doctor is one of the cheesiest and worst things Russell has ever included. He'd never do anything that stupid now. Although I suppose he wanted to set up the mystery of who the heck the Doctor is for a new audience and an image of him at the JFK assassination is a quick and easy way of covering the fact that he's a time traveller.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Wasn't it Russell T Davies himself that came up with the cheeky little idea that the Doctor's photo changes when he regenerates? I'd actually take that over all the bollocks of him going on those adventures with Rose, which is highly unlikely.

But maybe it WAS the first time he'd seen his reflection in 'Rose'. I mean, have we ever seen Tennant's Doctor look in a mirror? A few solo adventures between the end of the Time War and 'Rose' aren't out of the question. To me it doesn't seem as though 'Rose' takes place immediately after the cataclysmic events.

Hours after he regenerated, in the wardrobe room of the TARDIS trying out his new brown suit. You'd think he'd do the same after regenerating from 8 to 9

But I agree, I think those adventures happened before Rose.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Thinking about it, Clive having the images of the 9th Doctor is one of the cheesiest and worst things Russell has ever included. He'd never do anything that stupid now. Although I suppose he wanted to set up the mystery of who the heck the Doctor is for a new audience and an image of him at the JFK assassination is a quick and easy way of covering the fact that he's a time traveller.

Oh. It's a shame people aren't taking to it because I thought the idea of a cult of internet worshippers of the Doctor was one of the best ideas in that first episode (the first episode that I saw too )

After all, the Doctor has been to our little planet on so many occasions, so many people must have seen weird things and would want to seek out others who have had similar experiences. Since "society" would probably not believe them,
    an internet site was probably the best place forum (for'em...hmmm, wordplay...)

Plus it lead to the "There's someone who wants to talk about The Doctor.....and she's a GIRL!" line which was the funniest line in episode one.

A shame Clive got Auton'd really, he'd have been fun to have as a companion for a couple of episodes, finally realising with wide eyed amazement all his efforts had been worth it after all.
    Then we could've had him in his own spin off series..
    "Clive Investigates...", Ah the possibilities... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on... The idea that he had other adventures with Rose not seen on screen (such as in the published books etc) is "bollocks", but the idea that photographs magically change isn't? :confused: