Is Hollyoaks dead yet?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
I stopped watching around 3 weeks ago and haven't regretted it. Since then I believe Carmel has gone, the guy who plays Dodger is leaving, and there is an upcoming "shock" storyline of Perry having Toms baby. :D I see the drama never stops to draw in the younger audiences for Hollyoaks, but i'd be surprised if we saw this soap go on past 2015.

Comments

• ReoReo Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    I know that everyone has different opinions, what one person likes another hates, but I can't see HOs being axed any time soon.

I'm about half and half with it, I wont quit watching it anytime soon, not while the Blakes are still around, but I do think they are going over the top with the drama without giving enough breathing time in between, plus all those pregnancies!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another week, another one of these threads.

I see your that bored of HO and not regretting it that you read the spoilers and start threads like this :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I stopped watching Hollyoaks on the Sunday that just went passed.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The quality has certainly gotten worse but I haven't given up yet.

I'm sort of forcing myself at this stage just to see if any good eventually comes. If not, then I'm close to hanging the gloves.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No because it's very lucrative in terms of targeting a demographic audience through its advertising, sponsorship and product placement deals. It's true, someone posted a link where c4 boasted about it being lucrative at targeting 15-35 year olds. Demographic targeting is a big tool in marketing.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    It probably is dead, or getting there at least. I'm still watching but I've really no idea why.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    If dead means has it lost its soul then yes.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If dead means has it lost its soul then yes.

zombie apocalypse is all the rage now. It would really suit some of the actors to a tee!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    I stopped watching around 3 weeks ago and haven't regretted it. Since then I believe Carmel has gone, the guy who plays Dodger is leaving, and there is an upcoming "shock" storyline of Perry having Toms baby. :D I see the drama never stops to draw in the younger audiences for Hollyoaks, but i'd be surprised if we saw this soap go on past 2015.

LOL. No. The ratings aren't that bad. Yet ;-)
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not missed an episode in about 5 years but recently I just can't find the motivation to watch it.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    The quality has certainly gotten worse but I haven't given up yet.

I'm sort of forcing myself at this stage just to see if any good eventually comes. If not, then I'm close to hanging the gloves.

Me too. But the ratings is what Bryan is counting on. Not the opinions! So us watching is what keeps Bryan going.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    No because it's very lucrative in terms of targeting a demographic audience through its advertising, sponsorship and product placement deals. It's true, someone posted a link where c4 boasted about it being lucrative at targeting 15-35 year olds. Demographic targeting is a big tool in marketing.

Actually it isn't Hollyoaks target demographic is much narrower. The 16 to mid twenties. It was that demographic that was targeted by both the Nescafe and Wrigley sponsorship deals.

The truth is Hollyoaks actually generates less advertising revenue that it once did. There is no multi million pound sponsorship deals and advertising revenue from selling airtime during commercial breaks is down from what it once was.

Even the audience share for those in the 16-mid twenty age range is getting less than those over 35.

Hollyoaks is tired, clichéd, and repetitive in plots. Any half decent commissioning editor would have axed it ages ago, unfortunately Channel 4 has Jay Hunt, a woman who couldn't organize a party in a brewers if she tried who is keeping Hollyoaks on air due to her incompetence.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've actually enjoyed the last few episodes with the Diane/Tony wedding. Nice to see Darren too.
    No McQueens is fine by me.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=294937 I think this might be the case for Hollyoaks soon
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=294937 I think this might be the case for Hollyoaks soon

Well Hollyoaks is the only soap channel 4 have, so they would likely keep hold of it for that reason.

However I simply can't see where else there is for the show to go.
    Bryan Birkwood has sucked the life and soul out of it completely.
    There is just nothing left. Its just one big display of sillyness start to finish.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I love how the OP on that thread predicted that Brookie would end a year later & it did essentialy. Once it was taken out of its time slots that was it really.

Thing is with HO, it's on quite a lot & the quality has gone downhill, it's been showing on TV for a while now.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfie wrote: »
    Actually it isn't Hollyoaks target demographic is much narrower. The 16 to mid twenties. It was that demographic that was targeted by both the Nescafe and Wrigley sponsorship deals.

The truth is Hollyoaks actually generates less advertising revenue that it once did. There is no multi million pound sponsorship deals and advertising revenue from selling airtime during commercial breaks is down from what it once was.

Even the audience share for those in the 16-mid twenty age range is getting less than those over 35.

I never said this myself and I don't have the link but someone posted it last week. It wouldn't surprise me if HO does better through targeted demographic marketing than CS or ED, as their audiences are older. The link listed how people within this age group spend more on fashion, beauty products and technology. I hated HO when I was aged between 16-25 and I started watching when I was 27.
  • srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Bryan Birkwood has sucked the life and soul out of it completely.
    There is just nothing left. Its just one big display of sillyness start to finish.

I agree, sadly. What a waste.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Yes it can be silly but it's enjoyable light hearted viewing :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to but its still pretty entertaining to watch imo