Somner wrote: »
    What's a good day?

thursday.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    thursday.

How's today then? :D
    SULLA wrote: »
    What do you suggest? Dismiss the entire Police Service ?

Yes, dismiss everybody and start again. Police Officers could be recruited from the British public! Oh wait, they already are..
  • Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atrocious, arrogant, rude, unhelpful,liable to miss appointments, inept, surprisingly low intellect given the salary they receive..would constitute the more positive aspects of modern policing and the inept souls who somehow find their way into a uniform and the possession of a warrant card.

I would score a 'zero'..were it not for the fact that even a 'zero' would only go as far as implying no confidence. In terms of accurately assessing the average encounter with a British police officer, and their moronic power hungry egos, you would need a bar which measured their crass arrogance and ineptitude on a scale beginning at minus - 1.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pete Grain wrote: »
    Atrocious, arrogant, rude, unhelpful,liable to miss appointments, inept, surprisingly low intellect given the salary they receive..would constitute the more positive aspects of modern policing and the inept souls who somehow find their way into a uniform and the possession of a warrant card.

I would score a 'zero'..were it not for the fact that even a 'zero' would only go as far as implying no confidence. In terms of accurately assessing the average encounter with a British police officer, and their moronic power hungry egos, you would need a bar which measured their crass arrogance and ineptitude on a scale beginning at minus - 1.

And every one of them is the same, and behaves like this do they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And every one of them is the same, and behaves like this do they?

The OP was seeking an opinion on the Police Service as a whole. There are 120,000 of them, so if assessing every last one..I'd have to be exceptionally gifted, and probably require a seperate forum.

I gave my reply. I'm not going to pretend I'm sorry you don't like it..nor would I draw umbrage with your viewpoint. I assume I am allowed a view here..?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP was seeking an opinion on the Police Service as a whole. There are 120,000 of them, so if assessing every last one..I'd have to be exceptionally gifted, and probably require a seperate forum.

I gave my reply. I'm not going to pretend I'm sorry you don't like it..nor would I draw umbrage with your viewpoint. I assume I am allowed a view here..?

To judge that many in such a way would suggest you've encountered a large number, or are you doing the same as several on here who always judger based on one or two encounters, and often their complaints are not justified either.

I've encountered many awful people from all walks of life, but wouldn't judge everyone in their occupations as being the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To judge that many in such a way would suggest you've encountered a large number, or are you doing the same as several on here who always judger based on one or two encounters, and often their complaints are not justified either.

I've encountered many awful people from all walks of life, but wouldn't judge everyone in their occupations as being the same.

To judge how many..??

I didn't give a figure, nor could I. The op asked this

On a scale of 1 - 10 how confident are you in the police. Whether it is simply responding to your call and coming out or actually investigating a case to your satisfaction?
    1 very poor to 10 excellent

By definition - unless I'm seriously missing something - the query pertains to your/mine/everyone elses experience. As a result, there is going to be an array of opinions, views and 'ratings' regarding the police.

And again I say, I'm not sorry if my opinion and rating fails to match yours, or you disagree with my personal opinion - but irrespective, it's my opinion and remains the case.

As for the numbers I've encountered, it's clearly been sufficient for me to formulate my own thoughts on the matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To judge how many..??

I didn't give a figure, nor could I. The op asked this

On a scale of 1 - 10 how confident are you in the police. Whether it is simply responding to your call and coming out or actually investigating a case to your satisfaction?

By definition - unless I'm seriously missing something - the query pertains to your/mine/everyone elses experience. As a result, there is going to be an array of opinions, views and 'ratings' regarding the police.

And again I say, I'm not sorry if my opinion and rating fails to match yours, or you disagree with my personal opinion - but irrespective, it's my opinion and remains the case.

As for the numbers I've encountered, it's clearly been sufficient for me to formulate my own thoughts on the matter.

I suppose when looking at the brief it helps if you look at the reality. For example when someone calls the police the call is generally graded 1-3

1-Immediate response 15 minute maximum response time. E.g Burglar in the house

2-Priority response 1 hour response time. Came home from work to find your house has been burgled.

3-Standard response 3 hour response time. Coming back from a three week holiday and finding a smashed window on your house.

So if someone is judging the response of the police then judge it next to the reality of what is expected.

It's not an exact science but it gives a rough idea of response times. Last three months in my area 99% Grade 1 hit, 89% Grade 2 hit and 81% Grade 3 hit. Overall satisfaction from people we dealt with (we now leave feedback cards) 89%.

So whilst there are some outspoken police critics. All in all the people we deal with are happy with the service they receive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokenator wrote: »
    I suppose when looking at the brief it helps if you look at the reality. For example when someone calls the police the call is generally graded 1-3

1-Immediate response 15 minute maximum response time. E.g Burglar in the house

2-Priority response 1 hour response time. Came home from work to find your house has been burgled.

3-Standard response 3 hour response time. Coming back from a three week holiday and finding a smashed window on your house.

So if someone is judging the response of the police then judge it next to the reality of what is expected.

It's not an exact science but it gives a rough idea of response times. Last three months in my area 99% Grade 1 hit, 89% Grade 2 hit and 81% Grade 3 hit. Overall satisfaction from people we dealt with (we now leave feedback cards) 89%.

So whilst there are some outspoken police critics. All in all the people we deal with are happy with the service they receive.

So it stands to reason that this thread will also attract the other 11% does it not ?

Or are we supposed to say nothing, and go on our way (so to speak) to other threads ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it stands to reason that this thread will also attract the other 11% does it not ?

Or are we supposed to say nothing, and go on our way (so to speak) to other threads ?

Speak out, I find it interesting.

To give the police a -1, I assume you've had dealings with us.

If you were a victim of crime, how were you treated, what happened. Just interested why your personal opinion is so low.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you were a victim of crime, how were you treated, what happened. Just interested why your personal opinion is so low.

The op asked for people's ratings..not to provide substantive reasons to satiate curiousity. Have you asked any of the 'fantastical' 89% alleged supporters who are here on this thread to justify why they give you a 'supposed' thumbs up..or just accept it at face value, and move on to those who feel differently..?

Clearly it's the latter. If I was pre-disposed to sharing details of my personal life on a forum, then I would have done so already regarding this matter.

The OP asked a question and people replied. I was one of them, and not interested in knowing why others thought differently - or the same - as myself.

Question was posed. Answer was supplied. To your satisfaction ? No. But, answered truthfully.
  • TerryallgoldTerryallgold Posts: 1,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The information you quoted was from the media. The information I quoted was from the Chief Constable, and from the Inquest evidence itself.

I gave you my views, I presented an alternative opinion to yours. I bought up examples of good work, yet you refuse to comment on them. Why do you refuse to comment on them, is it because they do not suit your agenda? You bought up a number of terrible incidents that occured over a time span of almost 40 years, I bought up a number of incidents of good work that occured over 18 months. Is that not how a reasonable debate works, both sides of the debate being discussed? If you only wanted to push your agenda without balanced discussion, why did you not say that in the first place?

If my accountant lost a £100,000 of my money but then said "what about the 5 years before when I did a good job and saved you money, not making any mistakes" I am supposed to walk away thinking "yeah he has a point there" :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The op asked for people's ratings..not to provide substantive reasons to satiate curiousity. Have you asked any of the 'fantastical' 89% alleged supporters who are here on this thread to justify why they give you a 'supposed' thumbs up..or just accept it at face value, and move on to those who feel differently..?

Clearly it's the latter. If I was pre-disposed to sharing details of my personal life on a forum, then I would have done so already regarding this matter.

The OP asked a question and people replied. I was one of them, and not interested in knowing why others thought differently - or the same - as myself.

Question was posed. Answer was supplied. To your satisfaction ? No. But, answered truthfully.

If you don't want to elaborate that's fine. Some people do, so I thought I would ask the question.

Here hoping that when you next have any dealings with the police, they can give you a better service than previously experienced.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to elaborate that's fine. Some people do, so I thought I would ask the question.

Here hoping that when you next have any dealings with the police, they can give you a better service than previously experienced.

..lol

And here's to hoping I win the Euromillions without buying a ticket.

No harm in hope I guess.
  • Robert_LaverickRobert_Laverick Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    yellowpark wrote: »
    I'm not confident with them, not one single pig has been convicted for all the people killed in police custody.

... Or who have died much later due to a result of their injuries perhaps?:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that when you give such a scathing opinion people would be interested to know why.

There are plenty of people who hate the Police, but not because they haven't done their job properly. It was worth asking why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my accountant lost a £100,000 of my money but then said "what about the 5 years before when I did a good job and saved you money, not making any mistakes" I am supposed to walk away thinking "yeah he has a point there" :o

No, but you wouldn't slag off every accountant in the Country would you?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you work with the police or are retired from that service please vote and tell us why you scored them as you did.

:sleep:

On a personal level I've never had any dealings with them at all, apart from when my then girlfriend was stopped and had her vehicle checked. They wanted to see her driving licence which she hadn't got on her, and were very unpleasant and hectoring in demanding that she present it at Chelmsford nick the following day.

But personally, I've never been stopped in my car by them, had them call on me, or stop me in the street for anything. So neutral.

On a wider level, and considering the recent scandals surrounding Hillsborough, Plebgate and innocent members of the public shot dead, for example, I can only score them 5 out of 10 overall. Sure they do a horrible job, but I simply don't trust them.
    Forum Member

I was also the victim of crime. GBH, to the extreme. However your friends at Durham Constabulary decided my complaint did not even require logging.

Strange, when you complain about "999" staff and their affiliates, you experience indifference and apathy from the Police. Suppose I could liken it to asking the Waffen SS to investigate Joseph Mengelle?
    Forum Member
    I was also the victim of crime. GBH, to the extreme. However your friends at Durham Constabulary decided my complaint did not even require logging.

Strange, when you complain about "999" staff and their affiliates, you experience indifference and apathy from the Police. Suppose I could liken it to asking the Waffen SS to investigate Joseph Mengelle?

If you don't mind me asking, what happened, both in terms of the incident and the police response to it [apparently none]?
    Forum Member
    If you don't mind me asking, what happened, both in terms of the incident and the police response to it [apparently none]?

I was subjected to a "medical procedure", during a stay in hospital, that by NO stretch of the imagination could have been deemed "therapeutic".

This was in 1997, and the Police would NOT even log my complaint, nevermind investigate (Complaint was made in 2000, after recalling the event)

To get into anymore detail would not be wise for me. The resulting injuries are my "cross to bear", and I live in constant pain and discomfort as a direct result of the assault.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Purely based on stats I would 2.5 or 3 out of 10 this is based on the national average being around 25% - 30% of all crimes that are actually 'solved'

Based on personal experience of interaction with the police I would say about 4 out of 10 experiences have been positive.

However, this information needs to be tempered with the fact that it's not all about stats and anecdotal stories. In the real world our police face an huge uphill battle against budget cuts, red-tape, a rapidly changing face of society and mountains of poor management and bureaucracy.

In simple terms I see the service as fundamentally flawed at top, middle & bottom

At the top we have police more akin to career politicians than seasoned police operatives. They are more interested in their knighthoods, gold plated pensions and status than the nitty gritty of effective policing.

In the middle we have lack of funds, mismanagement and corruption.

At the bottom we have new recruits seemingly of low intellect and ability

So all things considered I would say 5/10

ETA:

This http://www.hmic.gov.uk/crime-and-policing-comparator/ is a useful tool for seeing and comparing official government stats on police performance..
    Forum Member
    I was subjected to a "medical procedure", during a stay in hospital, that by NO stretch of the imagination could have been deemed "therapeutic".

This was in 1997, and the Police would NOT even log my complaint, nevermind investigate (Complaint was made in 2000, after recalling the event)

To get into anymore detail would not be wise for me. The resulting injuries are my "cross to bear", and I live in constant pain and discomfort as a direct result of the assault.

Whilst I have every sympathy and can't begin to understand what you're going through, unless there was any intent to unlawfully assault you, then it wouldn't be a police matter. It would be a case of medical negligence, a civil matter.

I am not dismissing what you're saying and it may well be that there was an intent to unlawfully assault you, I don't know either way and it's up to you whether you wish to disclose that or not. Have you ever spoken to a solicitor about this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Purely based on stats I would 2.5 or 3 out of 10 this is based on the national average being around 25% - 30% of all crimes that are actually 'solved'

Based on personal experience of interaction with the police I would say about 4 out of 10 experiences have been positive.

However, this information needs to be tempered with the fact that it's not all about stats and anecdotal stories. In the real world our police face an huge uphill battle against budget cuts, red-tape, a rapidly changing face of society and mountains of poor management and bureaucracy.

In simple terms I see the service as fundamentally flawed at top, middle & bottom

At the top we have police more akin to career politicians than seasoned police operatives. They are more interested in their knighthoods, gold plated pensions and status than the nitty gritty of effective policing.

In the middle we have lack of funds, mismanagement and corruption.

At the bottom we have new recruits seemingly of low intellect and ability

So all things considered I would say 5/10

ETA:

This http://www.hmic.gov.uk/crime-and-policing-comparator/ is a useful tool for seeing and comparing official government stats on police performance..

It's also important to note that crime, for a frontline police officer, is probably less than 25% of the actual job.

Last week around 6 "suicidal" people walked out of hospital, unchallenged, and were then reported missing to the police. This was just during the four, 10hr shifts that I did.

The amount of resources incidents like this take up alone is never calculated in figures. These incidents mean actual crime is put on the back burner. The vast majority of the time it is simply the hospital covering their backs rather than legitimate concern.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    It's also important to note that crime, for a frontline police officer, is probably less than 25% of the actual job.

Last week around 6 "suicidal" people walked out of hospital, unchallenged, and were then reported missing to the police. This was just during the four, 10hr shifts that I did.

The amount of resources incidents like this take up alone is never calculated in figures. These incidents mean actual crime is put on the back burner. The vast majority of the time it is simply the hospital covering their backs rather than legitimate concern.

Ridiculous situation - this is the sort of issue that the top ranking police need to address
This discussion has been closed.