The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orion wrote:
    And it only lasted 7 shows, while the Daily Show has run a decade, 40 or so shows a year.

There's probably more like 100+ Daily Shows a year, 4 shows a week, on probably over half the weeks of the year. And yet the quality is consistently high.

Thought they might struggle to keep it so good once they were doing The Colbert Report as well, but they haven't both shows are good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I meant to say 40 weeks a year, not shows. When is More4 going to start showing the Colbert Report?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it hard to compare US/UK satirical shows, There's room for both and I've long been a fan of Jon Stewart's work. But no one can touch Bill Hicks IMO. I'd love to have heard his take on Bush/Blair but we'll never know....

Much missed. :(
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Just curious what people think of Jon Stewart's Daily Show Global Edition on CNN. How does it compare to the normal ones you get on More4?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    I hadn't even noticed a difference between the two. I just thought it was a joke that they'd abitrarily label some shows "global edition". Please enlighten me as it seems you know the answer to a mystery that's bugged me a bit.
  • Options
    MattrisMattris Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Its a recut of all the weeks best isn't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I know, the Global Edition (shown on Mondays on More4) is a clip-show of the previous week's highlights. Jon Stewart introduces and closes it, but apart from that it's a repeat of the best bits (usually in the same order as a normal show).

I love this show. For me, along with Curb Your Enthusiasm, it's the best thing on More4. Jon Stewart makes a brilliant job of being both comedy anchorman and smart interviewer. His Oscar hosting was excellent - As mentioned earlier, the reason people assumed he 'bombed' was because a lot of his jokes mocked the celebrity audience. When he pleaded with viewers not to pirate movies from the internet, he pointed to the front row of the rich and famous in their finery, imploring "Look at this! These are the people you're stealing from" Surprisingly, they didn't find that as amusing as the people watching at home.

Anyhow, great show :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mattris wrote:
    Its a recut of all the weeks best isn't it?

Yup. has Jon doing an introduction from the set (material you won't find anywhere else!) and then just the weeks best out of all the main features.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wathing since More4 started and it's spot on humor and the real feeling of the USA to what's going on I think but damn funny
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah, not even close. Just listen to right-wing radio or watch Faux News. Now, there's some real arrogant slime.

Faux News have their own version of the Daily Show. It goes by the title of The O' Reilly Factor :)
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Has its moments,but hardly the gold-bricked genius some would have us believe.

As for Americans and irony,I think the point is that Americans CAN do irony.

BUT in general,Americans do not seem to do it or grasp it as well as a British or Irish programme/audience...irony is the norm here where in the US it isnt.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the Daily Show is off air for a couple of weeks. Comedy Central says the next episode is on August 28th at 1am! The transmission time gets later and later. It doesn't bode well - when does the contract come up for renewal? I fear the show might soon slip off the air in the UK again.
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Assuming it is renewed on a yearly basis, the anniversary came and went in July. It was mentioned in a more recent thread, you bumped an 8 year old one.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the Daily Show is off air for a couple of weeks. Comedy Central says the next episode is on August 28th at 1am! The transmission time gets later and later. It doesn't bode well - when does the contract come up for renewal? I fear the show might soon slip off the air in the UK again.

1am isn't late, he's recently been airing at 3:30am...
    alternate wrote: »
    Assuming it is renewed on a yearly basis, the anniversary came and went in July. It was mentioned in a more recent thread, you bumped an 8 year old one.

And it's a US show as well!
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wondered where it got to. Being on late is no problem for me - I've got SKY+ .

It is amazingly overrated by its fans though.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    1am isn't late, he's recently been airing at 3:30am...

It's shown twice, first showing is sometime between midnight-2am then they repeat it somewhere between 2am-4am.