Options

worst news ever

statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
what was your worst news ever, where did you hear it and what did you do immediately after you heard it?

Mine was the death of my grandfather, I learned of it when I was in Hawaii on holiday and I ran into the sea in floods of tears and screaming. I don't know why, it was pretty nuts. Then I dried off and booked a flight home to the UK with no warm/winter clothes

Comments

• Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That chomps had gone up by 5p
  • Options
    statenislandstatenisland Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »

ahd where were you and what did you do? :D
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    My granny's death eight years ago. I got the phonecall at home from my dad who was at the hospital with her. Then I had to fetch my daughter from pre-school. I had to take care of her and refused to think about my granny until she had gone to bed and then I sobbed for hours. I think of her every day and miss her just as much as when she died.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mercifully I have never had to face really unbearably awful news (touches a lot of wood quickly). When I was told that my daughter had menigitis I looked at the doctor and nodded my head. What, really, is there to do in that situation? When, about a month later, I was told that she had some scarring on her brain, and might have some deficits, I looked at a different doctor and nodded my head again. I was pretty tired by then, and didn't get round to asking any questions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say the worst, but the second was losing my dog. I still miss her everyday even though I have another now. Just thinking about her makes me well up
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what was your worst news ever, where did you hear it and what did you do immediately after you heard it?

Mine was the death of my grandfather, I learned of it when I was in Hawaii on holiday and I ran into the sea in floods of tears and screaming. I don't know why, it was pretty nuts. Then I dried off and booked a flight home to the UK with no warm/winter clothes
    It is very hard when someone you love dies and you are not even in the same country , it is bad enough without being away :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    I've lost family and friends (like most people), Things I will not go into on here. :(
    But as a ten year old I will always remember watching from the bedroom window waiting for my Grandad to come back from the vets with his dog (Jet). When I saw him walking down the road with a dog-lead with no dog on it, I cried for hours!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I dream it or was there a really moronic post on here that has already gone? I only ask because I had a good answer ready and all that thinking time seems to be wasted. Sigh.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Did I dream it or was there a really moronic post on here that has already gone?

You didn't dream it. Sadly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Did I dream it or was there a really moronic post on here that has already gone? I only ask because I had a good answer ready and all that thinking time seems to be wasted. Sigh.

The *rs*h*l* wasn't worth a reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bigshorts wrote: »
    The *rs*h*l* wasn't worth a reply.

True. It is quite striking how different the Ds forums are. If you put that in the Big Brother forum you would be banned for about a million years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My uncle dying, I was very close to him :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It warranted an alert button :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have two separate friends, not known to each other, who both say that they knew when their (dying) parent died. They both tell almost identical stories of stopping what they are doing - driving and working - because they knew that the end had come; and of being right, to the minute. I'm a bit of an uber-rationalist, but it is odd.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my son was born and I was told he had Down's syndrome. I thought my life was destroyed. I couldn't tell anyone apart from immediate family and my best friend. Now, he's 23, and I think he's the best thing that ever happened in my life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    You didn't dream it. Sadly.
    On a forced holiday :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    When I got the phone call to tell me that my cat had been found dead in a field last year. I had the most horrible cold feeling spread all over my body in a way that i'd never experienced before and immediately burst into tears. I've never even reacted like that when family members have died. I think perhaps it was something to do with the fact that it was so unexpected. There haven't been any real shocking deaths in my family so far *touch wood*, everyone has died of illnesses that we all knew what the outcome would be.

Another time a family friend's young daughter died and I sat up all night trembling and didn't go to school the next day, but her death wasn't truly unexpected.

My worst nightmare would be to have someone i'm close to die in an accident and to not be able to say goodbye to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my son was born and I was told he had Down's syndrome. I thought my life was destroyed. I couldn't tell anyone apart from immediate family and my best friend. Now, he's 23, and I think he's the best thing that ever happened in my life.

That really is quite a moving post. :cry::)
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much really, all the deaths in my family were sort of expected.

I have a feeling that the worst news I'll get will be concerning my own
    health and my mortality.
  • Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    29th September 2011 when I got a call to say my mum had died, it was the day after I had chemo so was feeling rough to start with, but it felt like someone had just kicked me full force in the face

I just fell to the floor and cried not wanting to believe it, and then the police turned up to confirm it
  • Options
    Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Marathon became Snickers.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stayed in Australia for a while and my parents came to visit. My sister called to tell me my grandfather had died. Having to tell my Dad that his Dad had died was pretty horrible and made worse when he was unable to get a flight home for the funeral.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charles II wrote: »
    When Marathon became Snickers.

A sad day indeed. I just bought a twin pack. Holding a moment's silence first though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »

I think we can all remember where we were when that happened :cry:

Mine was when I lost my grandfather, he was terminally ill and didn't have much time left. I was on my way to see him to tell him I loved him and say goodbye, but when I got there my nan told me he had died while I was on my way. I have never really got over it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never personally received any news like this, I dread the day I will.

I found my dog dead on the floor, that was a shock, when my nan was dying every time the phone rang was hell. In the end it rang at 4 in the morning, I did not have to hear to know what was being said.

When I was a kid I got a new pet hamster, took ages in the shop picking one out and getting a new cage for it. Got it at home and was trying to find out what sex it was, turning it upside down. I dropped it on the floor and my dog malled it. By the time I could get the dog to let go it was almost dead, blood gashing from it. I will never forgive myself for that. It died.