Shall I get an I-pad?

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    You may not have struggled with the selection but that's a pretty comment complaint amongst Android tablet users.....

strangely, its only ipad fans that seem to mention it though....
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worldwide usage figures for Apr-13:
    Android: 38.34%
    iOS: 26.46%
    - http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201204-201304
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »

I actually get this issue all the time, a new game comes out that I want and it's only available for iOS. Here is just a small selection of iPad games from decent sized publishers not available on my N7:

Bookworm Heroes
    4 Elements 1/2
    7 Wonders Series
    Big City Adventure (all them)
    Chainz Galaxy
    Cradle of ... Series
    Fishdom series
    Gardenscapes
    Luxor series
    Rainbow Web series
    Swordigo
    Trivial Persuit
    Risk
    Simcity
    The Sims Medieval
    Command and Conquer
    FIFA 13
    Burnout Crash
    Scrabble
    Madden 13
    The Chase
    ..... Loads more

So you can't say it's not a valid argument, if it doesn't improve I can't see me getting another android tablet.

The OS on my old iPad 2 is also totally lag free, another thing I can't say about my apparently much faster N7.

It's a shame really as I actually prefer Android due to the customisations and multiuser accounts but its far from perfect.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    I actually get this issue all the time, a new game comes out that I want and it's only available for iOS. Here is just a small selection of iPad games from decent sized publishers not available on my N7:

Bookworm Heroes
    4 Elements 1/2
    7 Wonders Series
    Big City Adventure (all them)
    Chainz Galaxy
    Cradle of ... Series
    Fishdom series
    Gardenscapes
    Luxor series
    Rainbow Web series
    Swordigo
    Trivial Persuit
    Risk
    Simcity
    The Sims Medieval
    Command and Conquer
    FIFA 13
    Burnout Crash
    Scrabble
    Madden 13
    The Chase
    ..... Loads more

So you can't say it's not a valid argument, if it doesn't improve I can't see me getting another android tablet.

The OS on my old iPad 2 is also totally lag free, another thing I can't say about my apparently much faster N7.

It's a shame really as I actually prefer Android due to the customisations and multiuser accounts but its far from perfect.

These are games that are not abailable on Android in general though are they not rather than this being an iPad vs Android Tablet difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    These are games that are not abailable on Android in general though are they not rather than this being an iPad vs Android Tablet difference?

Yes this is an iPad vs Android Tablet debate and these are games that are available for the iPad that are not available on the Nexus 7. So if like me and you like to play these type of games (most available for Windows too) then the iPad is a far better buy.

I must have encountered about 100 games like the ones I have mentioned that I was able to buy for my iPad but not the Nexus 7.

Evidently you will get many games from single person/small team developers that will only be available on one platform but my examples are from decent sized developers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you're moving from ipad to android you won't find all the same apps available on both platforms. As the number of apps available on each platform is now equal, the same is probably true going the other way (I've not seen anything to suggest there are a greater proportion of games on one platform vs another).

Lots of big games are available on Android tablets inc:
    Rockstar - Grand Theft Auto 3/VC, Max Payne
    EA - Mass Effect Infiltrator, Need for Speed most Wanted,Tiger Woods, Sims 3
    Gameloft Catalog - lots of premium racing/fpses, movie tie-ins (I *think* there's some not available on Google play, but looks like most are there now), NOVA 3
    Sega - Sonic, Virtua Tennis
    Glu Mobile - Call of Duty, Contract Killer
    Marvel - Captain America, Avengers Assemble
    Other -Bard's Tale, Another World, Shadowgun

there are rumours that Apple have signed exclusivity deals with the likes of EA though (I couldn't find a better source for this than a facebook comment refferring to EA as "Apple's bitch" :eek: ; but I would have thought e.g. Infinity Blade's prominence in keynotes means it won't be on Android anytime soon. Conversely Gameloft look to have a deal with Samsung giving exclusivity of some games on the Samsung App store
    http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/5997-gameloft-announces-what-titles-will-be-optimized-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s4 )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you're moving from ipad to android you won't find all the same apps available on both platforms. As the number of apps available on each platform is now equal, the same is probably true going the other way (I've not seen anything to suggest there are a greater proportion of games on one platform vs another).

Lots of big games are available on Android tablets inc:
    Rockstar - Grand Theft Auto 3/VC, Max Payne
    EA - Mass Effect Infiltrator, Need for Speed most Wanted,Tiger Woods, Sims 3
    Gameloft Catalog - lots of premium racing/fpses, movie tie-ins (I *think* there's some not available on Google play, but looks like most are there now), NOVA 3
    Sega - Sonic, Virtua Tennis
    Glu Mobile - Call of Duty, Contract Killer
    Marvel - Captain America, Avengers Assemble
    Other -Bard's Tale, Another World, Shadowgun

The issue is that iOS gets all games from big publishers where as Android only gets a selection of them.

Even then only some of those are actually available for your particular tablet. You say SIms 3 for example, that's not compatible with either my N4 or N7. (I don't actually play many games on my phone so it's not an issue for me there)

It's poor that even the latest EA sports titles (2013) have only ever became available for iOS.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First post here! Hi.

If you want to burn data or play Blurays/DVD/CDS, if you want high hard drive space, if you don't want to have to enlarge the viewing screen with most browser pages... if you want full USB port access for any extra hardware... then no, get a laptop. If you don't care about what I've mentioned, then go ahead and buy one or something by another brand.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    The issue is that iOS gets all games from big publishers where as Android only gets a selection of them.

Even then only some of those are actually available for your particular tablet. You say SIms 3 for example, that's not compatible with either my N4 or N7. (I don't actually play many games on my phone so it's not an issue for me there)

It's poor that even the latest EA sports titles (2013) have only ever became available for iOS.

I have the N4 as well which I prefer to the iOS iphone 5 by quite some way, but probably still prefer the iPad over the android tablet. I don't bother with games so it doesn't bother me either. I love some of he android technical apps and utilities, emulators and so on which are real labours of love.

I've done iOS and some android development and it's easy to see why the iOS probably gets the better support for now. Especially for the tablets as it's a lot more effort to code for all the flavours of android device out there and for the tablets, you are kind of forced to tailor the user interface for the iPad, which makes the iPad apps on the whole seem more polished compared to the android tablet version.

On top of that the top developers like the fact that ipad apps are much much harder to pirate. They will also hate it if an application doesn't work correctly on some devices as it will reflect badly on them more than the device
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I'm sure you have something to backup this sweeping statement?

Common knowledge. Look it up. Google even refuses to admit how many **tablet apps** are available. The best estimates show it to be a tiny fraction of the iPad's over 300,000 apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you're moving from ipad to android you won't find all the same apps available on both platforms. As the number of apps available on each platform is now equal

That is simply not true. Not even close to being true. The iPad has over 300,000 **tablet** apps available. Google refuses to admit how many are available for Android tablets. The best estimates show there to be only a small fraction of actual tablet apps available for Android tablets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Common knowledge with users and within the industry and market. That you do not want to believe it is another matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is simply not true. Not even close to being true. The iPad has over 300,000 **tablet** apps available. Google refuses to admit how many are available for Android tablets. The best estimates show there to be only a small fraction of actual tablet apps available for Android tablets.

perhaps you could link to some of these estimates.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I Thought same as you. Id think opposite these days. Who buys a pc these days other than gamers, business

I disagree. I'm sitting in my university library at the moment typing this and nearly everyone around me is using a laptop and smarrphone. Some have tablets but they're rare. A tablet is useless for a student who needs to do assignments and stuff. I had to write a 5000 word essay a couple of months ago and there's no way I could have written it on a tablet. Most of us have smartphones though :D
    Not to mention the fact that pc sales are in decline whilst mobile devices including tablets are on the rise.

I think PC sales are in decline because of Windows 8. People are not interested in it. If W7 was still available then maybe more PCs would be sold. And what about Macs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the browser on an iPad have a private browsing function?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the browser on an iPad have a private browsing function?

It does. It's not on a tab by tab basis. You either have private browsing switched on or off, as far as I know. I've never used it so I can't say any more than that.
    Forum Member
    I disagree. I'm sitting in my university library at the moment typing this and nearly everyone around me is using a laptop and smarrphone. Some have tablets but they're rare. A tablet is useless for a student who needs to do assignments and stuff. I had to write a 5000 word essay a couple of months ago and there's no way I could have written it on a tablet. Most of us have smartphones though :D

I think PC sales are in decline because of Windows 8. People are not interested in it. If W7 was still available then maybe more PCs would be sold. And what about Macs?

PC Sales were in decline before Windows 8
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think PC sales are in decline because of Windows 8. People are not interested in it. If W7 was still available then maybe more PCs would be sold
    Huh? I just looked under the Software tab on the Novatech website and there is a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 8 available. You can even buy Windows XP if you want!

For those unable or unwilling to install an OS on a new PC, you can have Windows 7 pre-installed.

(I have no financial interest in this company. Other retailers are available... ;))
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should wait until you can spell it first
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you are talking about what you think you need to type.

she told me she tried a Ipad and she could not type on it, also with he screen being flat on the desk that was not great either. A netbook the screen can be angled and the keys do give some sort of feed back.

A tablet would no doubt be ok if you only going to type for a few mins, but if you are doing a lot of typing then a proper keyboard is still the best way.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the market disagrees with both of you.

At the moment, because it is a new thing, look how well netbooks sold when the first came out, ok not as well as tablets, but they still sold well, now look at that market.

Tablets will do ok until the next new things comes out. i think at the end of the day people will still go back to their laptop or desktop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    At the moment, because it is a new thing, look how well netbooks sold when the first came out, ok not as well as tablets, but they still sold well, now look at that market.

Tablets will do ok until the next new things comes out. i think at the end of the day people will still go back to their laptop or desktop.

I think we might see a resurge of Windows 8 Netbooks/Tablet with the Intel Atom Bay Trial due out this year. It's a 2.1 Ghz quadcore with HD 4000 GPU and Intel are saying devices will start at $200.

Twice as fast as Clover Trail with all day battery running a full OS certainly gets me Interested.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Doubtful, very very doubtful, look at the dropping sales of PC's year after year, there day is over.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Doubtful, very very doubtful...
    Do people do the same things on their tablets?
    Or do they adapt to not doing many things thinking 'I just cant be arsed'?

The problem for laptops is that the Microsoft and Intel tax is now more blatant.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The problem for laptops is that the Microsoft and Intel tax is now more blatant.

Is this some made up tax?