Thunderbirds remake

simes188simes188 Posts: 190
Forum Member
On tonights One Show Chris Evans was dressed up as one of the Tracy brothers. One of the guests was David Graham who voiced Parker and Brains in Thunderbirds.

"Parker" said that there is goine to be a GCI series of Thunderbirds starting on ITV next year. Captain Scarlet was remade in CGI and Gerry Anderson was planning to remake Thunderbirds before he died.

The live action film (whcih I believe was made without his input or approval) bombed.

Comments

• H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its a 26 x 30 minute series which will air on ITV and CITVin Spring 2015
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Yes its a 26 x 30 minute series which will air on ITV and CITVin Spring 2015

The CGi Captain Scarlet was complete cack.

As one of the characters in Jurassic Park said: "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should"
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would that be the same Chris Evans who gave away the winner of GBBO on his Radio 2 show much to the anger of BBC bosses ? Not a good career move.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the CGI Captain Scarlet was pretty impressive although I was never a big fan.

This on the other hand could be interesting. Hope it's on Saturday mornings. I can relive my childhood :)
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got high hopes. Shame Gerry Anderson didn't live to see it. Shame Shane Rimmer isn't voicing Scott Tracy this series as he has amazing tones
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supermarionation or nothing - still todays 7 and 8 year olds won't care.
  • Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although the characters are CGI, the sets are all models. From what I've heard, the attention to detail is incredible. I think it sounds really promising.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    simes188 wrote: »
    On tonights One Show Chris Evans was dressed up as one of the Tracy brothers.

Strange, I don't remember Ginger Tosser Talent Vacuum Tracy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although the characters are CGI, the sets are all models. From what I've heard, the attention to detail is incredible. I think it sounds really promising.

Yes the production is a mixture of models and CGI. I think it will be like nothing has changed over the years Thurnderbirds has been off our screens. It being made by the people who do Hollywood blockbusters.

I think it could do very well for ITV, and I for one cannot wait.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Thunderbirds are Go! could do quite well, the mix of CG and models is interesting as it will allow the characters to do a lot more than the puppets ever could.

I do hope that if Thunderbirds does well, ITV might consider bringing in other Gerry Anderson creations and characters like Stingray and Captain Scarlet into the series and created a shared universe which they did in comic form in the 60s.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they don't mess with the theme and the opening too much.

I feel that the theme and unique "electrifying" start is a must for it to feel anything simliar.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do a search there are some teaser trails on line showing the new Thunderbirds over the Hollywood sign and in a hangar to give a flavour of what is coming.

It can only be better than the movie remake a few years ago so it has a head start anyway.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The One Show thing was also to promote the release of a new documentary Filmed in Supermarionation about how the Andersons developed their filming techniques over the course of the Sixties and how their shows became more & more successful.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simes188 wrote: »
    On tonights One Show Chris Evans was dressed up as one of the Tracy brothers. One of the guests was David Graham who voiced Parker and Brains in Thunderbirds.

"Parker" said that there is goine to be a GCI series of Thunderbirds starting on ITV next year. Captain Scarlet was remade in CGI and Gerry Anderson was planning to remake Thunderbirds before he died.

The live action film (whcih I believe was made without his input or approval) bombed.

Since it was 90% focused on the youngest brother Alan and we rarely got to see the Thunderbirds themselves, I'm not surprised. It was clearly aimed at teenagers, not families.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope they don't try and make it too 'cool' the sheer bravado of the original is probably seen as cheesy in some circles, and has been parodied many times because of it's distinctive look and sound.

Also when they said in Stingray - 'Anything can happen in the next half hour' you wondered just how they'd achieve it with just puppets and models...with CGI it's two clicks and a mouse wiggle :(
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot will depend on the models/puppets. If they look similar to the original it will be ok but if they look totally different then it could be awful. The beauty of the original was the puppets. If you lose that you lose what the show was. The actual machines look pretty good. I like the look of Thunderbird One and Tracy Island looks cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNF5PXBAHkg

^^

If this is the type of CGI they are going for then I think it will work. Obviously with models that better match the original. ;-)

The 2004 film was awful. The only good thing about it was Penelope and Parker. They would have been better placed given them their own spin off movie.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^^

If this is the type of CGI they are going for then I think it will work. Obviously with models that better match the original. ;-)

I've seen that before. The visual style is brilliant.

The actual presentation though - not so much. It's like a Team America parody!
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The youtube clips are from 2006 and not the 2015 series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The still of Thunderbirds 1 in the picture will suggest how good the final thing will look. I'm confident it will be a very good re-invention.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/11/itv-remake-thunderbirds-are-go
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    This only serves as a reminder of the complete lack of Gerry Anderson tributes.

The documentaries are in the can, why haven't we seen them?
    Maybe Gerry didn't have many friends at ITV or the BBC at the end?
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    The CGi Captain Scarlet was complete cack.

As one of the characters in Jurassic Park said: "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should"

I thought it was pretty good and certainly a lot better than I was expecting. To be honest I've always thought that the original TV show was one of Anderson's weaker efforts and it didn't have the charm of the earlier shows like TB and Stingray.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2004 film was awful.

Indeed. A pity. I always thought it should be possible to make a good live action movie of TB that would appeal to both adults and kids.
  • MichPlatMichPlat Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot will depend on the models/puppets. If they look similar to the original it will be ok but if they look totally different then it could be awful. The beauty of the original was the puppets. If you lose that you lose what the show was. The actual machines look pretty good. I like the look of Thunderbird One and Tracy Island looks cool.

^^

The 2004 film was awful. The only good thing about it was Penelope and Parker. They would have been better placed given them their own spin off movie.

Thanks for the link .

Pros - that was 2005 technology and it wasn't that bad so modern CGI should be amazing .

Cons - why would they change the way Scott Tracy looked facially ?

As long as they kept the faces the same and also the theme tune and opening credits I reckon it could be fab.