Here we go again ... Virgin's Annual Price Increase

Comments

• AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on 50m bb and all inclusive calls plus caller ID. Currently paying £42pm. Got my letter today and phoned retentions. Now on the same package at £33pm fixed for 18 months.

Well worth a call to 150.
  • War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad's on TV XL only. No phone or broadband. Price increase... £3.09!!!

That's a big rise for one service. He doesn't even get a pvr, just a crappy V box.
  • t33v33t33v33 Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    14% rise for me ... yikes!! Think it's time for a review.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this is slightly "off topic" but it might be of interest if you're trying to economise or rationalise your bundle....
    Several months ago I down graded from their fast 100+mb broadband to their 50ish mb version (sorry for vagueness but I can't keep up with what's XL/L/M etc etc but I hope you get my drift).
    Anyway, my actual speeds never changed or dropped at all (my actual download speeds have remained at 38ish mbs throughout my whole time on fastest and then medium service.
    When I noticed this, I actually complained to them about paying a higher tariff for years for no discernible benefit - their response was it's not just speed but volume too??
    So, in a longwinded way I'm suggesting that you can probably downsize your BB package and not notice any difference except a lower monthly bill. I should add that there are normally two or three bods online in my household (including a teen) and nobody noticed a thing when I "slowed down" our service.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Sorry if this is slightly "off topic" but it might be of interest if you're trying to economise or rationalise your bundle....
    Several months ago I down graded from their fast 100+mb broadband to their 50ish mb version (sorry for vagueness but I can't keep up with what's XL/L/M etc etc but I hope you get my drift).
    Anyway, my actual speeds never changed or dropped at all (my actual download speeds have remained at 38ish mbs throughout my whole time on fastest and then medium service.
    When I noticed this, I actually complained to them about paying a higher tariff for years for no discernible benefit - their response was it's not just speed but volume too??
    So, in a longwinded way I'm suggesting that you can probably downsize your BB package and not notice any difference except a lower monthly bill. I should add that there are normally two or three bods online in my household (including a teen) and nobody noticed a thing when I "slowed down" our service.

That's one of the reasons I left Virgin broadband years ago. They would cut your speed in half as soon as you used so much and I wouldn't class my household as heavy users. It is also due to how many people have Virgin in your area.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's one of the reasons I left Virgin broadband years ago. They would cut your speed in half as soon as you used so much and I wouldn't class my household as heavy users. It is also due to how many people have Virgin in your area.

There is no download speed reduction any more.
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    There is no download speed reduction any more.

Good news :)
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoke with someone at the complaints dept and managed to get myself a good deal, well I think it is good and Virgin must agree as they agreed to the changes without any great deal of grief. On speaking with them I got the impression that there had been a backlash against the pay rises. and it had been noted.

All I can say folks is make your feelings known perhaps Virgin may take notice.

Unfortunately most folks will just accept the pay rise and do nothing.. I know prices will increase each year but Virgin price rise over the past 3 years have been about 30 % for a typical package
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also got a letter today. Does this mean I can cancel? I am 6 months into a contract and regret joining virgin since week 2.
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CuBz90 wrote: »
    I also got a letter today. Does this mean I can cancel? I am 6 months into a contract and regret joining virgin since week 2.

Letter today mines going up ..£4.84 from feb I only have 50 mb broadband and phone no
    Tv . Rip of Virgin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    b.lever wrote: »
    Letter today mines going up ..£4.84 from feb I only have 50 mb broadband and phone no
    Tv . Rip of Virgin

Ye mine was around the same. I have 152mb broadband but it's never been anywhere near that much, I may as well have the lowest. For the last 6 months it's always disconnecting on it's own, the wireless continues to work just fine but just with no connection to the internet. I was happy with Pusnet, I only changed because it came in a package and advertised to be faster.

The tv isn't so bad, but coming from Sky, I prefer Sky.(For my own reasons really so I won't too much into that); I miss some channels from Sky, like Sky Atlantic and I loves how on demand content would download and save in my planner rather than me having to stream it live. Also, I miss the little things such as being able to instantly go to any part of a recording and other content in my planner

I don't use the phone line so I can't judge that, I got it all as part of a deal and we used the phone line at the time.

I will wait until I can cancel and i'll be going back to my prefered suppliers. I like some of what Virgin Media has to offer but I would personally be happier with my previous suppliers.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    b.lever wrote: »
    Rip of Virgin
    Oh please!
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Ye mine was around the same. I have 152mb broadband but it's never been anywhere near that much, I may as well have the lowest. For the last 6 months it's always disconnecting on it's own, the wireless continues to work just fine but just with no connection to the internet. I was happy with Pusnet, I only changed because it came in a package and advertised to be faster.

The tv isn't so bad, but coming from Sky, I prefer Sky.(For my own reasons really so I won't too much into that); I miss some channels from Sky, like Sky Atlantic and I loves how on demand content would download and save in my planner rather than me having to stream it live. Also, I miss the little things such as being able to instantly go to any part of a recording and other content in my planner

I don't use the phone line so I can't judge that, I got it all as part of a deal and we used the phone line at the time.

I will wait until I can cancel and i'll be going back to my prefered suppliers. I like some of what Virgin Media has to offer but I would personally be happier with my previous suppliers.

Technically sky do it that way because it comes from your main broadband. However Virgin's system is streamed as you say but I've never had any issues with it.
    In both ways i can see no difference, except if in VM's case if there's a network outage you can't stream, on sky it would obviously continue. However same on sky no network no download.....

problem is you can't compare sky atlantic to VM as VM will never get it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically sky do it that way because it comes from your main broadband. However Virgin's system is streamed as you say but I've never had any issues with it.
    In both ways i can see no difference, except if in VM's case if there's a network outage you can't stream, on sky it would obviously continue. However same on sky no network no download.....

problem is you can't compare sky atlantic to VM as VM will never get it.

As I said it was just a personal preference. Also, I was not comparing Sky Atlantic, I only stated that I miss it.

I have always had connection issues, especially with on demand content, which is why I no longer use it through Tivo, I connect my laptop up instead. I've reported it to Virgin many time but just get told every time that there is improvement works going on in my area. On demand websites stream fine via my laptop but crap through Tivo, regardless of whether it is connected to my hub or not.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you look at the bottom of the letter you can cancel before 31st of december even if your are under contract if you are unhappy with the price rises.

my self i will be cancelling august when me line rental saver runs out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you look at the bottom of the letter you can cancel before 31st of december even if your are under contract if you are unhappy with the price rises.

my self i will be cancelling august when me line rental saver runs out

Oh ye! Mine says I can cancel before January 31st. Wooooo! Don't know how I missed that.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ye! Mine says I can cancel before January 31st. Wooooo! Don't know how I missed that.

Of course, those that read the contract they have with Virgin Media already know that they can cancel their contract if there is a price change.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aside haven't BT, Virgin and others increased phone line rental becaused we make less calls but need the line for Broadband?
    Then Virgin (and IIRC earlier this year BT) say they are charging more for Broadband.

Then we have Government encouraging Digital Economy.
    BBC using Connected TV services.

Is it all becoming a rip off?
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    £7.89 for me! I really can't afford an increase of 8%. If retentions can't do anything for me, with great reluctance I'll just have to leave.

Phew! and people moan about Sky !! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh please!

Well they are
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, those that read the contract they have with Virgin Media already know that they can cancel their contract if there is a price change.

It says on the Botom of letter you can cancel you contract and move .
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't in contract and hadn't got a letter yet but i've cancelled the TV and LL. Been thinking about it for a while. I only really watch Fox for the walking dead so i'll get NowTv for that. 90% of my viewing is netflix/prime anyway.

Offered me the 50Mb BB for £19.50 so happy with that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like many other people, I didn't read the full contract.
  • tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My letter started with, "The price of your Virgin media services is going up so we can keep giving you the best experience". Well that's ok then because I would absolutely hate to think it was to increase the amount of profit they might make.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aside haven't BT, Virgin and others increased phone line rental becaused we make less calls but need the line for Broadband?
    Then Virgin (and IIRC earlier this year BT) say they are charging more for Broadband.

BT and other ISPs have the excuse that they have to maintain a phone line and phone infrastructure to support the broadband. BT in particular is bound by the universal service obligation to supply a phone line to anyone

Virgin doesn't, yet they still insist in pricing their service in the same manner (broadband without phone is £12 or more expensive than the broadband with phone, but you have to pay £15 or so for the line rental).