Options

Good B-Movie Horrors

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
Forum Member
Hey does anyone have any recommendations for a good horror b-movie?

I will say I'm a bit odd on my classification of 'B-Movie' it pretty much covers the cheesy 70s/80s film like Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Critters, The Stuff to well made films that seem to have a small cult following like The Burbs, Tucker and Dale Vs Evil, My Name is Bruce ect.

Probably a pretty wide classification but One a whole I like any film I watch as long as you can tell some love has gone in to its creation.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw two over christmas i really enjoyed....

dressed to kill, and the house of whipcord....
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    Alice, Sweet Alice
    Chopping Mall
    Alligator
    Night Of The Creeps
    I, Madman
    Scarecrows
    Night Of The Comet
    Brain Damage
    Anguish
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Return of the Living Dead is a tongue-in-cheek horror spoof with a fantastic soundtrack

Not exactly a 'B-Movie', but it's not that well known and has developed a cult following.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love a good B Movie and always choose them over the mainstream stuff. Here's some of many I recommend.

Frankenhooker
    Class of Nuke'em High (1,2,3)
    Tooth Fairy (2006)
    Class of 1984
    The Toxic Avenger
    Maniac Nurses Find Ecstasy
    Poultrygeist
    Braindead
    The Driller Killer
    The Gingerdead Man
    Basket Case
    Basket Case 2
    Basket Case 3: The Progeny
    I am Omega
    Bad Boy Bubby
    Inbred
    Hansel & Gretel Get Baked
    She's Crushed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks peeps seen a few of these but not all of them. Will check them out!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horror Express (1972) - A sort of cross between The Thing and Murder On the Orient Express. Cushing and Lee on top form. Savalas as a Cossack.

The Car (1977) - A murderous car terrorizes a small American town. How ill they stop it?!
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Peter Jackson's Brain Dead (Dead Alive in the US) will always be my fav over the top in every way gorefest B movie tribute :)
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubber(2010) It's about a homicidal car tyre that goes around killing people :D
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One I remember from years ago was Absurd ( also known as Anthropophagus 2, Monster Hunter, Horrible and The Grim Reaper 2). It's typical slasher fare, with not much of a storyline, but it's quite inventive with the varous ways in which the psycho killer offs people. It was clased as a vidoe nasty back in the day, and banned in the UK, but I'd imagine it can be found somewhere out there in internet land.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe..... the cars that ate paris ? Aussie comedy horror from Peter Weir now associated more with arthouse stuff .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reanimator also quite good. Occasionally on film 4 ........ the evil dead on ch4 this weekend with the famous tree rape scene .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all early cronenberg is recommended..........
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    reanimator also quite good. Occasionally on film 4 ........ the evil dead on ch4 this weekend with the famous tree rape scene .......

The Re-Animator 2 is very funny too. I'm not sure that was the intention but i remember laughing a lot when I first saw it.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Other good ones are Basket Case, Nightmares In A Damaged Brain, Absurd, Anthropophagous: The Beast, The Burning, Cannibal Apocalypse, Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, Evil Speak, The House By The Cemetery The original Boogyman, The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue, Maniac (original but the remake was decent enough) The New York Ripper & so on.

What can I say I was a child of the video nasty generation, still have loads of those movies on video somewhere.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    One I remember from years ago was Absurd ( also known as Anthropophagus 2, Monster Hunter, Horrible and The Grim Reaper 2). It's typical slasher fare, with not much of a storyline, but it's quite inventive with the varous ways in which the psycho killer offs people. It was clased as a vidoe nasty back in the day, and banned in the UK, but I'd imagine it can be found somewhere out there in internet land.

R1 DVD under the title Horrible.
    Basket Case has been mentioned. 2 &3 more jokey in style but still ok. Other Frank Henenlotter goodies include Frankenhooker and Brain Damage.
    Night of the Creeps also. Just looking up this thread these have already been mentioned.

The Convent (2000) is a fairly recent B-Movie laugh.

Blood Bath at the House of Death, an underrated Kenny Everett 80's vehicle. Very good DVD of it was released a few years ago after being hard to find.

Frightmare and House of Whipcord, couple of Pete Walker 70's films.
    Vampyres ,for a bit of lady vampire lust.
    Blue Sunshine.
    Its Alive.
    Horror Hospital and Tower of Evil. Think those two are easier to find on R1.

......just a few off the top of my head.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just thought of a couple more..... Street Trash and Body Melt. "Good" is open to interpretation though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow thanks guys was expecting a couple of replies but this is amazing. Loads of films to check out!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,273
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    I love a good B Movie and always choose them over the mainstream stuff. Here's some of many I recommend.

Frankenhooker
    Class of Nuke'em High (1,2,3)
    Tooth Fairy (2006)
    Class of 1984
    The Toxic Avenger
    Maniac Nurses Find Ecstasy
    Poultrygeist
    Braindead
    The Driller Killer
    The Gingerdead Man
    Basket Case
    Basket Case 2
    Basket Case 3: The Progeny
    I am Omega
    Bad Boy Bubby
    Inbred
    Hansel & Gretel Get Baked
    She's Crushed

Bad Boy Bubby is not a horror movie.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its also worth checking out the following 70's britplotation 'classics',

peeping tom, twisted nerve, blood on satans claw, tales from the crypt (amicus), the devils, cool it carol, take an easy ride.....
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I'm not usually into horror films but three I've enjoyed are 'Night of the Demon' with Dana Andrews (it is from the 1950s so don't know how it would stand up now) also 'Duel' with Dennis Weaver and 'Rosemary's Baby' with Mia Farrow. I loved the spoof 'Fright Night' with Roddy MacDowell (he wasn't the lead).
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far too many of these titles are not B movies, they are just not blockbusters.

Basket Case mentioned above is on Horror Channel at the moment so check listings.
    Also check out Information TV (Freesat 401) for Bloody Pit of Horror - hilarious and compelling in its groovy badness. Someone really should remake it.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B movies were second features, often very poor, made in the days when programmes had intermissions. They were usually "quota quickies" made, often by "Butcher Films", to satisfy the Eady Levy. Most of the films listed above are not B movies.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a soft spot for these:

Them! (1954) - giant ants terrorise a couple in New Mexico. We still have a Super 8 reel of this film :D

Prophecy (1979) - one of my favourite films is The Prophecy (1995) so one night, I asked a friend to rent it from Blockbusters and he came home with this. A blood-thirsty mutant mama bear with a pro-environmental message. It also features many unintentionally funny scenes including the death scene of a kid. Good times.

The Crawling Eye (1958) - a giant eyeball humps its way up a mountain to kill everyone in a mountain town. This film was the first film to leave me slack-jawed under a cloud of WTF? while watching as a child. I'll never stop loving this undeniably bad but fun film.

Is The Tall Man (2012) a B-movie horror? It goes on the list if it is.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I have one. I will not water it down by suggesting lots, but you will enjoy this.

It is called 'The Shuttered Room'. Do not look at any replies about it, ignore the box, just watch. You don't want spoilers. It is not bad at all.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    B movies were second features, often very poor, made in the days when programmes had intermissions. They were usually "quota quickies" made, often by "Butcher Films", to satisfy the Eady Levy. Most of the films listed above are not B movies.

Indeed this is the correct definition - though I would cite spirit as important when it comes to indy features, DVD schlock, etc (Prophecy mentioned above was a well funded major release). Movies4Men are showing a number of Butchers titles, some of them are well worth seeing.