Accurate recording

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    PhilipL wrote: »
    Hi

If that's the case this is just another example of rubbish implementation by Humax. How it ever passed testing I don't know, a back hander probably and just shows that as a guarantee of technical implementation the logo's worthless.

Regards

Phil

Dead right! how dare Humax continue to provide free upgrades to what is already probably the best PVR of it's type on the market.

P.S. I'm becoming suspicious, are you and keithatrochdale ever seen in the same room at the same time?;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    BAW wrote: »
    Dead right! how dare Humax continue to provide free upgrades to what is already probably the best PVR of it's type on the market.

P.S. I'm becoming suspicious, are you and keithatrochdale ever seen in the same room at the same time?;)
    Anyone else remember that old Kit-kat advert with the guy painting white lines on the highway - when asked about his politics, he said "middle of the road". For many, Humax can do no wrong and for others, no right. I think the actuality is down the middle - it's not perfect but Humax are doing a reasonable job of putting things right .......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I fail to see what is wrong with expecting things to work correctly.

And just look at accurate recording ........... need I say more!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I fail to see what is wrong with expecting things to work correctly.

And just look at accurate recording ........... need I say more!

No offence intended (I was in an uncharacteristically mischievous mood last night):)

I agree, there is nothing wrong with expecting things to work correctly. I just think that, sometimes, there can be a lack of perspective resulting in a disproportionately negative view of what is a very good product.

Humax are providing upgrades free of charge (which they don't have to do) and many of the factors governing the "accuracy" of Accurate Recording seem to be outside their control anyway.

It would be nice if it was perfect, but what PVR is? (I've had a Digifusion FVRT145 & a Daewoo DSD9502T, both of which failed within the warranty period).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence intended (I was in an uncharacteristically mischievous mood last night):)

I agree, there is nothing wrong with expecting things to work correctly. I just think that, sometimes, there can be a lack of perspective resulting in a disproportionately negative view of what is a very good product.

Humax are providing upgrades free of charge (which they don't have to do) and many of the factors governing the "accuracy" of Accurate Recording seem to be outside their control anyway.

It would be nice if it was perfect, but what PVR is? (I've had a Digifusion FVRT145 & a Daewoo DSD9502T, both of which failed within the warranty period).

Hi, no probs.

I agree it is good they add to the unit, but......... they keep adding faulty bits. We have auto padding, which is faulty, we have accurate recording, that is faulty and many other little bits.

How is it that we can find these bugs so quickly, but the testers at Humax can't?

Then why do they not get to work quickly to find a fix?

And I do not accept the idea that just because other units are worse we should be expected to accept shoddy software.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    I'd put it down to people not being prepared to declare their 9200Ts defective and requesting a refund.

Autotracking passed the DTG test suite so a good question is why is the DTG test suite defective if you wish to declare autotracking defective.
    How is it that we can find these bugs so quickly, but the testers at Humax can't?
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    wgmorg wrote: »
    I'd put it down to people not being prepared to declare their 9200Ts defective and requesting a refund.

Autotracking passed the DTG test suite so a good question is why is the DTG test suite defective if you wish to declare autotracking defective.

Anyone know what exactly DTG are supposed to test prior to upgrade broadcast?
    I was given to believe it was only to test that other equipment would reject it and that it was robust enough not to break the intended receiver.
  • Options
    wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    http://www.freeview.co.uk/docs/manufacturer_licence.pdf
    nvingo wrote: »
    Anyone know what exactly DTG are supposed to test prior to upgrade broadcast?
    I was given to believe it was only to test that other equipment would reject it and that it was robust enough not to break the intended receiver.
  • Options
    PhilipLPhilipL Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Many early updates were to fix serious bugs, Humax shouldn't be thanked for fixing a broken product.

They are still selling the 9200 and so software development continues. Do you think if they had moved on to different hardware they would still be giving us "free of charge" upgrades, or even chargeable ones, of course not.

I don't want free of charge upgrades that add more functionality that doesn't work correctly, what is the point of that?

I want padding fixed so we don't miss a recording unless we set them in the order, and starting a manual recording that stops a following one fixed.

A PVR should be able to record the programs I set without me having to work around bugs, call me old fashioned that way.

Regards

Phil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilipL wrote: »
    Hi

Many early updates were to fix serious bugs, Humax shouldn't be thanked for fixing a broken product.

They are still selling the 9200 and so software development continues. Do you think if they had moved on to different hardware they would still be giving us "free of charge" upgrades, or even chargeable ones, of course not.

I don't want free of charge upgrades that add more functionality that doesn't work correctly, what is the point of that?

I want padding fixed so we don't miss a recording unless we set them in the order, and starting a manual recording that stops a following one fixed.

A PVR should be able to record the programs I set without me having to work around bugs, call me old fashioned that way.

Regards

Phil

Spot on!

Auto padding was released before xmas, it was known by Humax to be faulty when they released it, I accept that, but 8 months later and they still have not been bothered to fix it - should we praise them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Spot on!

Auto padding was released before xmas, it was known by Humax to be faulty when they released it, I accept that, but 8 months later and they still have not been bothered to fix it - should we praise them?

Hi i'm new to the humax forum,i bought the black box last week..
    can you explain auto padding,you mention about it not being fix.
    i've made several recordings using auto padding,set to
    start time 5mins early
    end time 5mins later
    and had no missed recordings.
    i haven't used the AR function yet.because i dont like missing out the beginning or end of a programe.until thats fix,i wont be using it.
    thanks al
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    al5000 wrote: »
    start time 5mins early
    end time 5mins later
    i haven't used the AR function yet.because i dont like missing out the beginning or end of a programe.until thats fix,i wont be using it.
    thanks al
    There appear to be two main autopadding problems.

The first is that (with autopadding on) when you set two consecutive programmes on the same channel, sometimes one of them fails, and this may be because they were set out of order, i.e. it's better to set the first one followed by the second one. (There's also the matter that padding between the first and second programmes is dropped for consecutive programmes, even if they are on different channels - apparently this is to ensure that one of the tuners is left free for live viewing - but it would be better if we were given the choice.)

The second is that there are problems where two programmes stop at the same time and another starts at the same time, or one stops and two start at that time. You can get dropped programmes and silly, confusing messages asking you what you want to do, where the obvious thing is for the padding to be dropped.
  • Options
    jxpjxp Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    start time 5mins early
    end time 5mins later

There is a bug, where you can lose a recording.
    The bug happens when you set two recordings at the same time (e.g. 8pm - 9pm).
    If you then add another recording that ends at 8pm (e.g. 7pm - 8pm) one of the two later recordings will be dropped.

If the 7-8pm recording is added first all recordings will be made as expected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jxp wrote: »
    There is a bug, where you can lose a recording.
    The bug happens when you set two recordings at the same time (e.g. 8pm - 9pm).
    If you then add another recording that ends at 8pm (e.g. 7pm - 8pm) one of the two later recordings will be dropped.

If the 7-8pm recording is added first all recordings will be made as expected.

Thats one bad bug.i didnt know about.
    Thanks for that.
    Al
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Before i bought the humax9200TB, i had and still have the thomson DHD4000.its had its problems,but not this sort of thing.
    This bug with the auto padding is really going to do my head in.
    I'm not happy that i've found out so early on,on a brand new humax,that this is bug might loose all my scheduled recording in one go,if i dont set them up in order.
    How come the humax is the number one seller of pvr on the market today,with the auto padding bug.
    did i make to right choice in buying the humax?
    or will this bug get sorted out,i dont mind waiting.
    but it looks like this bug has been with the humax for a very long time.
    Al

Max Demian wrote: »
    There appear to be two main autopadding problems.

The first is that (with autopadding on) when you set two consecutive programmes on the same channel, sometimes one of them fails, and this may be because they were set out of order, i.e. it's better to set the first one followed by the second one. (There's also the matter that padding between the first and second programmes is dropped for consecutive programmes, even if they are on different channels - apparently this is to ensure that one of the tuners is left free for live viewing - but it would be better if we were given the choice.)

The second is that there are problems where two programmes stop at the same time and another starts at the same time, or one stops and two start at that time. You can get dropped programmes and silly, confusing messages asking you what you want to do, where the obvious thing is for the padding to be dropped.
  • Options
    Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before i bought the humax9200TB, i had and still have the thomson DHD4000.its had its problems,but not this sort of thing.
    This bug with the auto padding is really going to do my head in.
    I'm not happy that i've found out so early on,on a brand new humax,that this is bug might loose all my scheduled recording in one go,if i dont set them up in order.
    How come the humax is the number one seller of pvr on the market today,with the auto padding bug.
    did i make to right choice in buying the humax?
    or will this bug get sorted out,i dont mind waiting.
    but it looks like this bug has been with the humax for a very long time.
    Al
    It's not as bad as that, as the times when it occurs are quite rare, not more than once a week or two. It only happens with absolutely consecutive recordings, and mainly with simultaneous ones. It's just rather annoying when it does happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Al

You will only lose one of the recordings that are being scheduled with this bug. If you try and set up the recordings in order you should be fine.

It's happened to me twice in about 6 months. Other than that the I've found the Hummy to be very reliable and a great machine. I've recommended it to my Mum and a friend and they're both very happy with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I have been waiting for the accurate recording for a while now.
    After a few uneventful trials during last week, I finally got the chance to try this out for real.
    I was watching Wimbledon on Saturday night, and it was obvious that the game was going to overrun.
    Aha, my chance try really try it out!

So I set it to record Coast due to start at 8:05 until about 9:00 on BBC2
    This was supposed to be followed by Porrige at 9:00 so I set that as well.

At 8:05 I got the "starting program recording by reservation..." message, but the tennis was still on.
    Coast finally started at 8:30 - recording still going.
    The EPG had changed and was showing that Coast was due to start at 8:30, but the end time was still 9:00!
    by about 8:45 the EPG had updated the end time correctly and porrige had been dropped from the schedule.
    But the i button still reported the current program as Porrige.

At 9:30 the recording stopped, and there in the recorded programs list was an entry for 8:05-9:00 Coast
    However when I played this back, I had to skip through the half hour of tennis before finding the start of Coast.
    It did manage to keep recording until the end of Coast which is great.

Im disappointed that it recorded the program before, it was almost as if it was ONLY looking for the end signal.

I have also lost a few seconds off the start of some programs, not sure how much, because I was not there to see it.

Not sure whether this is going to be reliable enough to use without padding.

Has anyone else seen this type of behaviour?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I tried it out on Sunday evening, again for Coast which was due to start at 8.00 and finish at 9.00. The recording started at 7.57 and ran until 9.05. In fact the first half hour was tennis and the rest a Rick Stein programme. At least I got all of the substituted programme but obviously the start was much delayed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jxp wrote: »
    (Cross posted from another thread)

Having a couple of hours free this morning and noticing that CBeebies is consistently off schedule I have done lots of Accurate Recording testing today.

I variously set a recording and watched the Now/Next on another machine or tried to run between rooms comparing the Now/Next on two different machines.

My results are as follows;

1. Sony VTXD800U, Humax 9200T show Now/Next from the EPG.
    2. JVC DR-M150, Goodmans GDB3 (Vestel) show Now/Next from the EIT p/f data
    3. Accurate recording for late programmes starts at scheduled start and ends when EIT p/f changes off requested programme.
    4. Accurate recording doesn't work for early programmes. The scheduled time is used (start and end)
    5. Accurate recording isn't used for two consecutive recordings on the same channel (both are recorded on schedule). Second recording might overrun if second programme overruns - not checked
    6. Accurate recording isn't used for two consecutive recordings on different channels (even when both are late and on same Mux e.g. Dr Who/Dr Who Confidential last weekend)

It looks like Accurate recording only works with a single recording that is running late. Fairly limited usage at the moment regardless of whether the channels data is accurate.

What you report seems to be consistent with my testing from the weekend (see above Quote).
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it out on Sunday evening, again for Coast which was due to start at 8.00 and finish at 9.00. The recording started at 7.57 and ran until 9.05. In fact the first half hour was tennis and the rest a Rick Stein programme. At least I got all of the substituted programme but obviously the start was much delayed.

Snap. I'm glad to have spotted this post as I hadn't realised that Coast had been cancelled. Will have to rerecord on Saturday.
  • Options
    PTDPTD Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »

One thing that impresses me is that the EPG info is retained for all programmes in a recording. Watch it change (at the EPG specified time) as the recording is replayed.

Leaving AR aside for the moment, does this mean that if you record 2 or more programs from one channel as a single block of recordings you can later split (by edit) the recording into separate parts and retain the individual synopses? Are the separate titles also retained for each split?