Zayn Malik receives death threats for Free Palestine tweet

2»

Comments

• wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It's a symptom of how brainwashed the normal people of Israel are.

You need to live a monastic life before you can be against the bombing of schools and hospitals?

Some of the most outspoken people against the actions of Israel are Jewish.

Except plenty of non-muslims think the attacks on Gaza are wrong. Christians, Jews and people of other, or no faith, are usually against the murder of innocent people in their homes or at school. The UN agrees.

That's not the point. The UN probably means little to teen One Direction fans. Maybe it should but it doesn't. It barely matters to lots of adults either. What matters to people is what their idols think.

As a performer and public figure with a mixed bunch of fans he appears to be pinning his colours to the Palestinian mast and what I am saying is that is his choice and he must take the feedback for it. He put it out there in the public arena. People will agree and others won't.

I said it was tricky from a celebrity pov, it wasn't an invite for you to bang on at me and use my post as a platform for your political view. Enough.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop getting so defensive. I wasn't 'banging on at you'. I quoted a few people and responded to points they made. If I disagreed with something you said, then that's all that happened. It's a discussion board - what do you expect?

I agree that the likes of Zayn has to accept that having any kind of opinion, even when it's a really obvious one, is bound to upset some. As I pointed out, there are people like that girl who has grown up in such a brain-washed environment that she could interpret his point of view as hoping she dies.

There have been some dangerous views on here, such as lumping all Jews as taking the side of Israel, or suggestions that the only reason for sticking up for Gaza is if you are a Muslim, and that view would offend others. That's a bit like saying only Jews could hate the holocaust.

This is such an extreme event that everyone vaguely engaged in the world has noticed and is talking about it. You can't expect all pop stars to remain silent, even if it does make some people uncomfortable. If this gets some of his fans thinking about the subject for the first time, that's a good thing.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop getting so defensive. I wasn't 'banging on at you'. I quoted a few people and responded to points they made. If I disagreed with something you said, then that's all that happened. It's a discussion board - what do you expect?

I agree that the likes of Zayn has to accept that having any kind of opinion, even when it's a really obvious one, is bound to upset some. As I pointed out, there are people like that girl who has grown up in such a brain-washed environment that she could interpret his point of view as hoping she dies.

There have been some dangerous views on here, such as lumping all Jews as taking the side of Israel, or suggestions that the only reason for sticking up for Gaza is if you are a Muslim, and that view would offend others. That's a bit like saying only Jews could hate the holocaust.

This is such an extreme event that everyone vaguely engaged in the world has noticed and is talking about it. You can't expect all pop stars to remain silent, even if it does make some people uncomfortable. If this gets some of his fans thinking about the subject for the first time, that's a good thing.

I don't know if that BIB is aimed at me if it is a complete an utter misinterpretation of what I said! I said that many Muslims feel sympathy for the Palestinians
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know if that BIB is aimed at me but if it is it's a complete and utter misinterpretation of what I said! I said that many Muslims feel sympathy for the Palestinians the majority of whom are Muslim although I also pointed out that they also have a large Christian population too - and that because Zayn has a British Muslim father it could be one of the reasons he'd be inclined to feel sympathy for the Palestinians - I also made it clear that you do not have to be Muslim to feel sympathy for them and be outraged at what's happened in Gaza and gave examples of two celebrites who weren't Muslim who were voicing their concern over what's happening in Gaza on twitter.

Yes I did say that many Jews support Israel - notice I didn't say all Jews and perhaps I should have made in clear orginally that not all of them do - and I know there are many Jewish people in the public eye that feel very uncomfortable with what is happenening in Gaza - when you picked me up on it I gave two examples of celebrities of Jewish heritage who had voiced their concern - but Israel relies on support from Jewish populations outside of Israel so I don't think it's illogical to say they have a lot of support from Jewish populations around the world - some of whom will support Israel whatever it does!

I agree with your last paragraph though - as I said before I welcome anyone in the public eye whose raising awareness on this issue and yes it could offend one side but if he'd said nothing it could equally offend the other side - I'm sure 1D would probably have fans from a Muslim background too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An amusing comedy skit from Jon Stewart on the problems of voicing your opinion on this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrlUzkd8Z8g
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2708410/One-Direction-star-Zayn-Malik-bombarded-death-threats-outraged-Israelis-posting-FreePalestine-message-Twitter.html

A viewpoint that's shared the majority of fair thinking people in the world, but pretty unwise to make that comment when your in a boyband with a large fan base in Isreal. I can't image the bands management will pleased with him for making this comment publicly, bubblegum pop music and politics don't mix very well. Another clear sign the end is nigh for 1D.

I do have a new found respect for him though. We often dismiss younger people for being ignorant, but he's obviously aware of what's happening in the world and has an opinion on it.

So what he has a large fan base there? So that means he should put how he feels to the back of his mind? Im no 1D fan but good on him for saying how he feels! Shame to the people sending him death threats regarding such a already terrible situation.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to live a monastic life before you can be against the bombing of schools and hospitals?

What a silly thing to purport.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Yes, there's a clear aggressor and a clear victim and a huge humanitarian crisis. It's not hard to understand if you look at the facts.

And I don't see why people should stop bringing these wars "to Western society" when the west is deeply involved in both conflicts.

Massive ignorance.

This. We are both responsible and affected by this as taxpayers, citizens, and human beings. We NEED to be able to talk about this. The people we in the US vote into power use our money to send the same bombs to Israel that are raining down on Gaza. Whether or not we agree with it; this IS our business and we should stick our big fat noses in.

Props to Zayn for showing he has his own mind. I do wish the conversation was less one sided, but it is hard to see the Israeli side of things when flooded with images of Palestinian children with their heads blown open.
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, there's a clear aggressor and a clear victim and a huge humanitarian crisis. It's not hard to understand if you look at the facts.

And I don't see why people should stop bringing these wars "to Western society" when the west is deeply involved in both conflicts.

Massive ignorance.

There isn't a clear aggressor and clear victim at all. It's a very complex situation. There both as bad as each other in my opinion.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member

Massive ignorance.

Kindly leave the overt political bias and discussion to the Politics forum where it really belongs. In case you hadn't noticed, this is the Showbiz section.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very surprised management let him speak out, look what happened to the Dixie Chicks.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I'm very surprised management let him speak out, look what happened to the Dixie Chicks.

He only tweeted two words. It's not like he made an overt speech like the Dixie Chicks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    He only tweeted two words. It's not like he made an overt speech like the Dixie Chicks.

I think the Dixie Chicks were very unfortunate with what happened to them. I don't think they made a long speech, they were just on tour in Europe during the build up to the Iraq war and the picked up on all the anti war sentiment which they themselves agreed with. I'm not sure they made an overt speech - they just said at one of their concerts in London that they were against the war and ashamed their President was from Texas - unfortunately for them it got reported in the UK press and the right wing media in America picked up on it and had massive repurcussions for them - I don't think they could have forseen how much of a backlash it would have caused - I'm sure they'd have stated their opposition to the war in a more diplomatic way if they'd known.

Going back to celebs speaking out about Gaza - Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz have also come under heavy criticism for speaking out against the bombardment of Gaza in the Spanish press. The media are speculating over whether their careers in Hollywood will suffer because of this. I think it'll be such a shame if their careers do suffer for speaking out - both of them are fine actors and contributed a lot to the film industry, still if the film industry in America decides to blacklist them it's their loss.

I hope that Zayn's career won't suffer. I think he's one of the most popular members of 1D and a vital part of the image of that group.
    Kindly leave the overt political bias and discussion to the Politics forum where it really belongs. In case you hadn't noticed, this is the Showbiz section.

To be fair to the poster, they are entitled to their opinion and it's not like they gave a long political pro Palestinian speech - they just made a brief post stating their opinion and it's hard not to discuss this topic over whether celebs should air their political views without touching on the politics of it.

I mean I got a long pro Israeli post directed towards me earlier in the thread and although I strongly disagreed with it and pointed out it was best to post in the politics forum if they wanted to discuss it so much detail, I accepted they were entitled to their opinion.

I guess if the mods think the thread has veered too much towards politics they can move it to the political forum.