In trouble here with premium crap!! HELP!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

This evening I recieved a text joke from 84158 which charged me £1.50. I NEVER signed up for anything or have sent any company any text detail thing in a long time.

I cant find anything about 84158 on Google and don't know how to stop it.

I'm on virgin so looked on my recent calls and paymetns page and it said that the 'text service charge' came from 700035183

Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Thanks

Just found someone on another forum saying this...
84158 Re "Bad and expensive "jokes" from 84158"

I was connected to this stupid jokes text spam, havn't got a clue how? I have stopped by texting STOP ALL to the number and recieved 3 messages telling me i have stopped, all advertising me to join again, and all that cost me price of a text, not happy, going to see if it did actually stop, did it for anyone else?

What should I do?

Comments

• FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try texting "STOP" to 84158, that usually works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sometimes just stop wont work, i know vodafone have a system that they can check the numbers on and how to stop the texts im not sure about the other networks. but normally STOP or stop does work yes if it doesnt then you can report them to the governing body and they will have there license removed
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My GF has had problems with premium BS texts twice now. Is it possible to contact her service provider (T-Mob) and request that any chargeable texts are blocked?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i believe they do not offer the service to block premium texts coming to you unfortunatley, the only way i know is having a sms bar placed on your phone ..... some samsung phones allow you to block messages from specific numbers tho
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The samsung block will just stop them arriving at your phone which is worse as you'll still be charged you just won't see the message. STOP doesn't always work because sometimes you are subscribed to multiple services from the same company. "STOP ALL" should cancel everything from the one company though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your phone is on a contract and you didn't request these texts yet you have been billed for them and your provider refuses to refund them.... then quote the consumer credit act... you have taken a credit agreement with the operator and it is up to them to prove it wasn't fraud otherwise you can't be held liable for fraudulent activity on your account!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Consumer Credit Act doesn't apply unfortunately, Which Operator are you on?

They should be able to query your receipt of this text with the company concerned - raise it as a bill dispute, see what happens?

And that Stop All suggestion should definitely work, or they are well in breach of ICSTIS (Premium Rate Watchdog type thing) regulations!
  • DeanparkrDeanparkr Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there has got to be some kind of act that prevents getting charged for this though.... surely???
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Try actually talking to your supplier. They are the only ones who can sort it out for you. Most of them are quite helpfull with this sort of thing. Spammers are not doing them any favours either....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Waffles if your still having problems with premium rate texts I sugest you go to www.tpsonline.org.uk this should stop the nuisance texts/calls to your phone