Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I thought last weeks episode was great, and this weeks episode was maybe my least favourite so far.
    But it was still good, and the programme itself is great.
    I may be shot down for saying this, but right now I’m enjoying this more than The Daily Show.

I'm enjoying it more than the Daily Show as well and I love the Daily Show dearly. I don't think TDS has specifically gotten worse, but Oliver's show has just hit the ground running at such a high quality it's hard not to like it more.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best show on television, I'm amazed by how good it has become so quickly. It seems to have more of an international vibe than TDS which is refreshing. Jon Stewart seems utterly obsessed by everything to do with US Military veterans at the moment which isn't helping TDS.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it more than the Daily Show as well and I love the Daily Show dearly. I don't think TDS has specifically gotten worse, but Oliver's show has just hit the ground running at such a high quality it's hard not to like it more.

I think that’s fair. Plus The Daily Show has to produce 4 shows a week where as Last Week Tonight only has to do one.
    But that being said, for Last Week Tonight to be so good, so fast, is very impressive in my eyes.
    And it’s always nice to see a Brit doing well in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Stewart doesn't do satire, he does pointed attacks and liberal rants.

Samantha Bee and Jessica Williams do the satire these days, Jason Jones plays the incredulous roving reporter who can't understand hypocrisy.

I think The Colbert Report is better for over all humour and satire combined.

John Oliver being able to add a continental bent on things and having a bigger budget for showmanship pieces like the Right Said Fred segment, An Actual American Tail, being able to fly in or visit guests that fit the topics being satirised rather than simply having to interview someone plugging an item in a buddy buddy way as Stewart does so often helps the show feel more of a total package sticking to its remit. Colbert does it occasionally as he did with Paul Rudd the other day but it does seem like the actual politicians and social figures go on Colbert while the celebrities tend to prefer The Daily Show.
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Last Week Tonight is born out of John Oliver's experience of what he and Jon Stewart would have liked to do on The Daily Show but aren't able to because of the network and the format.

HBO's lack of commercial breaks and responsibilities, the longer format, having the whole week to prepare a show and research pieces makes it the perfect (and maybe the only) place to do things that simply couldn't be done on The Daily Show.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was some sort of master plan between Jon and John :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Does Jon Stewart swear on his show? Are they allowed to on that network?

With this one being on HBO I think it also adds to the show that swearing can add emphasis to his rants plus other things that being on HBO can let him get away with more than he would on other networks.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Stewart swears but it's bleeped for transmission.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

With this one being on HBO I think it also adds to the show that swearing can add emphasis to his rants plus other things that being on HBO can let him get away with more than he would on other networks.
    Bosox wrote: »
    Stewart swears but it's bleeped for transmission.

The Daily Show Global Edition used to be uncensored, but that only ever aired outside of the US.

I think the fact that HBO doesn’t have to worry about upsetting potential sponsors is a much bigger factor in John Oliver being able to push the limits a bit further than Jon Stewart.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Show Global Edition used to be uncensored, but that only ever aired outside of the US.

Haven't seen Global Edition scheduled anywhere for a long time, was it cancelled in exchange for the full weeks shows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Haven't seen Global Edition scheduled anywhere for a long time, was it cancelled in exchange for the full weeks shows?

I asked the same question about the Global Edition on these forums a while ago, but no one knew.

It stopped airing on Comedy Central UK a few months ago, so I wondered if they had simply dropped it or if it wasn’t being produced anymore. Historically the Global Edition served two purposes – to provide a weekly show for international broadcasters who didn’t want the daily shows, and also to provide a ‘5 shows a week’ option for international broadcasters which is easier to schedule. It never aired in the US, they’ve always only had 4 shows a week.

I can’t find any evidence that the Global Edition airs anywhere in the world anymore so I’m assuming its no longer produced.
    It’s certainly not in exchange for a full week of new shows though, which is why Comedy Central UK only airs The Daily Show Tuesday to Friday now. Monday is now a The Daily Show free day in the schedules.

Which all in all is a shame. I quite liked the Global Edition for when I didn’t have the time to watch the full week of shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked the same question about the Global Edition on these forums a while ago, but no one knew.

It stopped airing on Comedy Central UK a few months ago, so I wondered if they had simply dropped it or if it wasn’t being produced anymore. Historically the Global Edition served two purposes – to provide a weekly show for international broadcasters who didn’t want the daily shows, and also to provide a ‘5 shows a week’ option for international broadcasters which is easier to schedule. It never aired in the US, they’ve always only had 4 shows a week.

I can’t find any evidence that the Global Edition airs anywhere in the world anymore so I’m assuming its no longer produced.
    It’s certainly not in exchange for a full week of new shows though, which is why Comedy Central UK only airs The Daily Show Tuesday to Friday now. Monday is now a The Daily Show free day in the schedules.

Which all in all is a shame. I quite liked the Global Edition for when I didn’t have the time to watch the full week of shows.

By full weeks shows, I meant the full 4. Its only Tuesday to Friday here cause of a one day delay (although the time they show it they could probably simulcast it :D )

I have been really enjoying @Midnight with Chris Hardwick which follows Jon & Stephen, its actually rather good and something that would probably work over here!
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love @Midnight too - though there have been one or two dud shows when they've had actors on who aren't comedians, Wil Wheaton appeared, right ?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Love @Midnight too - though there have been one or two dud shows when they've had actors on who aren't comedians, Wil Wheaton appeared, right ?!

There's been a few, where like the cast has been bought on to promote a film! Personally love it when they bring on Grace Helbig (YouTubes ItsGrace)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    By full weeks shows, I meant the full 4. Its only Tuesday to Friday here cause of a one day delay (although the time they show it they could probably simulcast it :D )

You asked if the Global Edition had been cancelled in exchange for the full weeks shows. So, no, it hasn't been cancelled in exchange for anything, i think its just been cancelled.
    Forum Member
    Good episode last night.

They handled Gaza and the plane very well.

The muppets sketches/songs about prison were funny.

and I don't think any other US show of this type would mention the CWG - again, it's nice to have that UK/US combo with Oliver and the writers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah another great episode. To summarise the week's news as "F**king depressing" was quite apt :)
    Forum Member
    Yep, hard to get comedy out of the events but they went the right way with it.

I bet Mock The Week are glad they're off air as they'd have a hard time tackling it and may even gloss over it.
    Not sure how HIGNFY would handle it.
  • FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episode last night.

They handled Gaza and the plane very well.

The muppets sketches/songs about prison were funny.

and I don't think any other US show of this type would mention the CWG - again, it's nice to have that UK/US combo with Oliver and the writers.

Last Week Tonight: Commonwealth Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aj3KZa1ZCM
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, hard to get comedy out of the events but they went the right way with it.

I bet Mock The Week are glad they're off air as they'd have a hard time tackling it and may even gloss over it.
    Not sure how HIGNFY would handle it.

If Frankie Boyle was still on the show he'd probably have dragged some smouldering wreckage on to the set and f**ked it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another great episode this week. I was thinking to myself beforehand how are they going to do 30 minutes of comedy based on this weeks events, and sure enough they did, and they did it humorously, intelligently, and respectfully.

This really is one of the best things on television right now, and John Oliver is doing a fantastic job as host.

I wonder if any of the writers on ‘Last Week Tonight’ have also worked on ‘Russell Howards Good News’ or ‘Harry Hill’s TV Burp’, or whether Aavlon went for a completely American team of writers.
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I alone in thinking that the Commonwealth Games segment was a bit of a cheap shot? The whole point of it all just seemed to be that it was done on the cheap compared to the Olympics and the greatest nation in the world wasn't taking part but irrelevancies such as 'Wales' were.

There are far more deserving observations, such as the lack of certain well-documented social tolerances among the majority of participating nations than the sheer fact of its existence.

Having said that, this year's opening ceremony was totally ripe for satire :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I alone in thinking that the Commonwealth Games segment was a bit of a cheap shot? The whole point of it all just seemed to be that it was done on the cheap compared to the Olympics and the greatest nation in the world wasn't taking part but irrelevancies such as 'Wales' were.

Maybe a bit, but it was only a short ‘filler’ segment, and at the end of the day it is primarily an American programme for an American audience. I have to be honest, a few weeks ago I also thought to myself ‘this is a bit of a dated view on a games completion, the commonwealth barely exists these days in a lot of peoples minds in all honesty, the British Empire is gone and its not the mid 20th century anymore’. Probably a harsh uneducated view, but that’s what was in my head at the time.

Its probably no different to UK comedians joking about how the Baseball World Series only consisting of America. Which is valid, but maybe only a comment you’d make if you weren’t included in it. Making it sound all impressive by calling it the ‘World Series’, but in reality no one outside of the those taking part (America) really cares about it. Just like the Commonwealth Games.

And to be fair, its the only US programme I’ve seen even acknowledge the Commonwealth Games, so I give them credit for that, even if it was poking fun at it.
    Forum Member
    I was surprised about the report on the US nuclear warheads. After watching that they sound just as idiotic as North Korea :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was surprised about the report on the US nuclear warheads. After watching that they sound just as idiotic as North Korea :D

Yeah, it was a great item. I can't believe the US accidentally dropped a nuclear bomb on their own country in the 1960s!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another brilliant, brilliant episode this week. The second half about Ferguson was quality stuff - summed up by this I think ..
    "I know the police love their ridiculous, unnecessary military equipment. So here’s another patronizing test: let’s take it all away from them, and if they can make it a whole month without killing an unarmed black man, only then can they get their ****ing toys back".