Options

Can England win Euro 2016?

Comments

• Options
    Paul_BlackburnPaul_Blackburn Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a hope in hell they could not beat Slovakia or Russia yet Wales took those two teams apart.Wales last night were in my mind brilliant and to be honest I could not see any of last night's England players getting into last night's Wales team.England only scored one goal against those two teams Wales scored five enough said.They had better start packing.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your whole argument is how Wales have done compared to England, there is one game you've neglected to mention.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member

We've been outplayed in all 3 matches, the other teams played to their game plans and it nearly played off for them all, and one team could of actually beaten us.

Clearly me and you have different versions of what "outplayed" means!

I was talking about possession and chances - guess you mean tactically which last night might be true as we didn't really offer much against the Slovaks.

But Russia were pretty fortunate you have to say for example.

It would be like us sitting back for 90 minutes and then nicking a goal...would that be called outplaying somebody?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course we can win it, although I don't think we will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    If your whole argument is how Wales have done compared to England, there is one game you've neglected to mention.

But that doesn't suit the agenda.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

That's because, if we win our game and they win theirs, we get France in the quarter-final. In their national stadium. In a tournament where they're the favourites.
  • Options
    SC000BYSC000BY Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are good a passing the ball around and keeping possession, but only by keeping the ball in the middle of the pitch. We have no one who can run at players and create scoring chances. When you look at all the possession we had last night and compare that to the number of real goal scoring chances that we created, it looks very poor. Against a better team we would not have the option of passing the ball around the mid field as much and therefore would create even less chances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    No.

That's because, if we win our game and they win theirs, we get France in the quarter-final. In their national stadium. In a tournament where they're the favourites.

True enough.

But if we did win that one...
  • Options
    naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    True enough.

But if we did win that one...

Then we get to (probably) play the winners of Germany v Italy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am afraid after Spains result last night it is now Italy v Spain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for celesti's reply If your whole argument is how Wales have done compared to England, there is one game you've neglected to mention.

Was he talking about Englands fortunate win against Wales.I think England need to get a decent manager when this is all over after his selection fiasco against Slovakia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the kind of match you watch tournaments for. The whole lower half of the knockout stages looks full of them, ace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for celesti's reply If your whole argument is how Wales have done compared to England, there is one game you've neglected to mention.

Was he talking about Englands fortunate win against Wales.I think England need to get a decent manager when this is all over after his selection fiasco against Slovakia.

I was yes, but not a fortunate win. One that was warranted. Of course you think England were 'fortunate' against Wales yet Wales took Slovakia apart, and England only scored once against those two which is awful, but have to be prompted to mention that they scored twice against Wales.

If you miss out very obvious points it doesn't serve an argument well, particularly if you're comparing two sides who have actually played each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think Wales will go further than England in the tournament.One other question when are England going to get a decent anthem instead of that boring god save the queen.It must be the most boring anthem of the tournament especially when you hear the anthems from teams such as France,Germany,Irish Republic,Wales.It is the anthem for Great Britain not England surely they can find one.Maybe Land of Hope or Jerusalem either would be better and would probably give the team a lift goodness knows they need one..
  • Options
    clickclickclickclick Posts: 227
    Forum Member

no
  • Options
    naquadanaquada Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am afraid after Spains result last night it is now Italy v Spain

Nah, Germany will beat Spain in the quarters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it is England against Iceland next and they may even stand a chance of scoring a goal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're new to this football lark, aren't you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it is England against Iceland next and they may even stand a chance of scoring a goal

England have only failed to score in one game. Other teams to draw a blank include Italy, Germany, Portugal and France. But yeah, lol England all them goals were lucky and that
  • Options
    BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, fully expecting us to make our traditional Quarter Final exit.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the teams we could have got I would have preferred anyone to Iceland. But I still back England to progress and still believe we can win it. Despite the national anthem :o:D
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the basis of the first round matches, England could win it as they don't look any worse than some of the best sides like Germany, Italy and Spain. Germany have been more wasteful in front of goal than England. England might suffer if they are properly threatened at the back. Iceland will probably not threaten so I expect England to lose narrowly to France in the quarters.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D. No chance in hell.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England got lucky with that late Iceland goal because it looked like they were getting Portugal. There's no guarantee they'll even beat Iceland of course, but it's still better than Portugal who we have a terrible competitive record against. If they get through though it will be au revoir, they wont beat hosts France, and no Ireland wont beat France and be our opponents instead. Last 8 will probably be enough for Hodgson to stay on, mainly because there isn't really anybody else to replace him.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No chance.