F.r.i.e.n.d.s

Brendan TBrendan T Posts: 235
Forum Member
edited 22/02/22 - 10:10 in UK TV Shows #1
I love this show... just recently started watching it!

Chandler is my fave even though that choice was hard to make!

Not a fan of Ross at all!

Comments

• jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Trouble is it's repeated to death. It seems to be on every day on at least one C4 channel.

For example.

3 back to back episodes starting at 5pm on E4. All repeated again at 8.30pm.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan T wrote: »

You've only just started watching it ?? :eek:
    Well, what happens in the final ever episode is.....
    I don't know, because I've never watched Friends !! :D
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Have fun watching, hope you are watching from the beginning. Its a great show! :D
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stick with it, Ross has his moments.

I chopped and changed my favourites over the years but they really all had their chances to shine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make the most of it, C4&E4 won't be showing it from next Nov onwards.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross is absolutely hilarious in the later seasons. In fact, I think they all are. Friends is one of those rare shows that only got better with time. :)
  • Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    Ross is absolutely hilarious in the later seasons. In fact, I think they all are. Friends is one of those rare shows that only got better with time. :)

I would go along with that. For those of us who have watched the lot, it's great "work" viewing now. You get get your work done while it's on and look up when you know a good bit is coming. Although Brendan T does not have that luxury just yet.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Friends to me is the ultimate 'background' show. I loved it during its first run, but now it's been repeated so many times that its a great show to have on in the background. I can happily have it on when I'm on my laptop cos I've seen majority of the episodes so many times I know what's coming and can still laugh at the best bits without really paying attention.

My order of best Friends goes: Phoebe, Chandler, Joey, Ross, Monica, Rachel

Although someone said above that they all do have very funny moments and at different times in the shows run, the top 4 all held top spot at one time or another.

Hope you enjoy it though Brendan T. It's weird to think of someone who hasn't seen Friends though cos it's such an iconic sitcom which has been repeated for so long.
  • Brendan TBrendan T Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I am on Season 5 now!

Biggest moment for me was when Ross said Rachels name at the vows instead of Emilys!

Do all the series finales end with a will they won't they between them... gets tiresome after a while.

Love Chandelr and Monica together! I thought they should be together by Season 2!
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine only started watching last year, and she loves it now.

I never liked Ross much at first, but one I'd watched the whole show a few times I came to love him.
    SteelEdge wrote: »

My order of best Friends goes: Phoebe, Chandler, Joey, Ross, Monica, Rachel

Although someone said above that they all do have very funny moments and at different times in the shows run, the top 4 all held top spot at one time or another.
    That's my order too, more or less. I would maybe swap Ross for Joey, and like you the top four changes. I still really like Monica and Rachel, but they are in the bottom two for me.
    I am on Season 5 now!

Biggest moment for me was when Ross said Rachels name at the vows instead of Emilys!

Do all the series finales end with a will they won't they between them... gets tiresome after a while.

Love Chandelr and Monica together! I thought they should be together by Season 2!

I loved it when Ross said Rachel's name - brilliant moment. :D But no, not all series end involving them.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch Friends when I get home from work at 5 on E4. Its kind of my wind down hour.

I've seen all episodes countless times but I still enjoy them.

Like someone else said, my favourite changes from season to season, sometimes episode to episode.

They are all so different and unique in their own way.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    For me, Phoebe was the only one who remained consistently good through-out the entire run, even though in Season 5 we began to see a much more 'bad-ass' Phoebe with hints of a very shady past which I thought was funny.

Joey was probably the weakest character IMO so I was surprised when he got the spin-off. He just seemed to get more stupid as the seasons went on.

I don't think any of the characters would've worked on their own in a spin-off because unlike Cheers for example, all the main characters had a story going on in every episode involving each other so taking one of them away in a whole new surrounding and different characters wouldn't (and didn't) work.
    Forum Member
    Joey had a spin off!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey had a spin off!?

Yeah but it was rubbish
    Forum Member
    Yeah but it was rubbish

why? how?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why? how?

Dunno. I watched the first one.

Didnt bother with the rest. It just didnt "do" it for me
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,666
    Forum Member
    why? how?

It just wasn't funny. I think they were hoping for another Frasier but Frasier was removed enough from the other characters in Cheers that it didn't matter that he was transplanted out of there.

The joy of Friends was that it was an ensemble and it worked best when the six of them or a combination of them were together. Remove the other five and it falls flat on its face.

For reasons that you will discover it would have been impossible for any of the other five to have a spin off in practical terms and so it was left to Matt Le Blanc who simply wasn't good enough on his own to carry a show.

It wasn't entirely terrible, there were one or two funny moments but it just didn't work.

As for my favourites, it's a toss up between Phoebe and Chandler with Monica and Joey close behind. Rachel I was always a bit :yawn: about but from beginning to end I hated Ross. I don't know why, maybe I just didn't like David Schwimmer or maybe it was the storylines that he had but I just never liked him. I always felt there was too much emphasis on Ross (probably to keep Schwimmer from walking since he was always threatening to) and I didn't find him an interesting character, his storylines just got more and more unbelievable as the series went along. I think almost every end of season climax was about Ross in some way.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but it was rubbish

The main show was rubbish, and Joey was very rubbish! (yeah just my opinion!)

I guess it was funny in places but for me what spoilt friends for me and I mean really bugged the hell out of me was just because their favourite character came back on screen the studio audience whooped and hollered like children, and would laugh at them flushing the toilet. There, said it :-p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait, Pheobe is peoples fav on here?

She's undoubtedly the worst character in the show. I've really never been able to warm to her at all. The things she says arent even funny, are just rude, incredibly self centred and arrogant :confused:
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    I was flicking through the channels a few days ago and caught a bit of an episode on E4, I think from the first season. The picture quality was absolutely terrible, am guessing the tapes E4 use are heavily worn out now.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    i love Friends :D i dont care that its repeated to death its such a fantastic Classic show i can watch every episode over and over again :D gutted its leaving C4 tbh :(
  • TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes think Im the only Friends fan who HATES Rachel and loves Emily

Seriously everyone slags of Emily despite her fiance saying Rachel's name at the altar. It actually dumbfounds me.

I just dont like Rachel at all she is a whiney, selfish, conniving bitch
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    All the characters are shallow and bitchy in their own ways.

I liked Friends when it first came on, but the seasons went on too long and it all got a bit tedious and annoying in the end, what with all the bitching and shallowness.

It's one of those shows where they should have quit while they were ahead, but they didn't.
  • CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never get bored of having Friends on even though I've lost count now of how many times I've seen each episode/season especially with it being on constant repeat. I love having it on as background tv when I'm on the laptop or eating my tea. I don't find myself really laughing though at things I've seen loads of times, like when Ross is screaming PIVOT!!!, that used to make me cry with laughter but not anymore or the episode where the rest of them (bar Ross) find out about Monica and Chandler. I think I will really miss it when C4 stop showing it.
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    It just wasn't funny. I think they were hoping for another Frasier but Frasier was removed enough from the other characters in Cheers that it didn't matter that he was transplanted out of there.

The joy of Friends was that it was an ensemble and it worked best when the six of them or a combination of them were together. Remove the other five and it falls flat on its face.

For reasons that you will discover it would have been impossible for any of the other five to have a spin off in practical terms and so it was left to Matt Le Blanc who simply wasn't good enough on his own to carry a show.

It wasn't entirely terrible, there were one or two funny moments but it just didn't work.

As for my favourites, it's a toss up between Phoebe and Chandler with Monica and Joey close behind. Rachel I was always a bit :yawn: about but from beginning to end I hated Ross. I don't know why, maybe I just didn't like David Schwimmer or maybe it was the storylines that he had but I just never liked him. I always felt there was too much emphasis on Ross (probably to keep Schwimmer from walking since he was always threatening to) and I didn't find him an interesting character, his storylines just got more and more unbelievable as the series went along. I think almost every end of season climax was about Ross in some way.

Why did David threaten to quit?
This discussion has been closed.