The BBC - content warnings - very strong language

13»

Comments

• Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samwalk wrote: »
    Not shocked but surprised. Not sad enough to look up the lists, but I always thought there were words most people would not want kids to use, and for that reason moderate swearing was banned before 9. Only Fools And Horses used very mild language like "plonker". Seems I am in a minority.
    You must have missed the episode where Rodney tells Delboy to piss off or the episode where Delboy says to Mickey Pearce that he is talking bullshit. This is mild language and can often be heard in pop songs that get regular daytime radio play.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure there's a list but I can't remember I saw it. :confused::(
    I'm aware of George Carlin's list, but didn't think broadcasters had a list too. I do remember reading an Ofcom or possibly a BBFC report into swearing and which words don't cause as much offence as they did, and what word people still count as strong. I think, from memory, the words in order of "severity" according to that report was something like this:-

01 - C*nt
    02 - Motherf*cker
    03 - Cocksucker
    04 - F*ck
    05 - W*nker
    06 - Shit
    07 - Bastard
    08 - Bitch
    09 - **** / ****
    10 - Piss
    11 - Crap

That seems about right, for if you utter no. 1 in a film, it's an automatic 15, possible 18. For no. 2 it's an automatic 15, same for no. 3. If you say no. 4 it's an automatic 12, same for no. 5. But no.'s 6-11 can be, and have been many times, said in PG films since the 1980's to present. No.'s 10 and 11 especially have been said in U rated films before.

You'll also hear no.'s 8-11 on TV frequently unbeeped even on daytime TV, but go any higher up the list and it's after 9pm only.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Slightly off topic but why the need to constantly apologise after swearing. It just highlights it even more.

An example would be the other week on Saturday Kitchen Live. A scandiavian chef was on and during the omlette challenge he said the omlette looked 'shit'. James Martin said 'you mean it looks rubbish?"
    Chef: Yes, sorry.
    A little laugh between the two.

Sorted.

Or you would think that until after the item when Martin apologied if anyone was offended by anything they heard earlier on.

Ok, official apology done. Sorted.

Nope, end of show and again Martin apologies to the viewers about anything think they heard during the show that they found offensive.

In the background the chef apologised again and Martin says 'see, even the chef apologies himself - see you next week'.

Why, why, why?????

It was a slip of the tongue on live tv that was dealt with in a humourous manner. I can't see 100s of people writing into complain about it.

Why keep referring back to it?

Colin Murray did the same to Freddie Ljungberg when he swore on MOTD2. He just wouldn't let it go.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I'm aware of George Carlin's list, but didn't think broadcasters had a list too. I do remember reading an Ofcom or possibly a BBFC report into swearing and which words don't cause as much offence as they did, and what word people still count as strong. I think, from memory, the words in order of "severity" according to that report was something like this:-

01 - C*nt
    02 - Motherf*cker
    03 - Cocksucker
    04 - F*ck
    05 - W*nker
    06 - Shit
    07 - Bastard
    08 - Bitch
    09 - **** / ****
    10 - Piss
    11 - Crap

That seems about right, for if you utter no. 1 in a film, it's an automatic 15, possible 18. For no. 2 it's an automatic 15, same for no. 3. If you say no. 4 it's an automatic 12, same for no. 5. But no.'s 6-11 can be, and have been many times, said in PG films since the 1980's to present. No.'s 10 and 11 especially have been said in U rated films before.

You'll also hear no.'s 8-11 on TV frequently unbeeped even on daytime TV, but go any higher up the list and it's after 9pm only.
    I'd have put ****/**** before Bitch :D
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but why the need to constantly apologise after swearing. It just highlights it even more.

An example would be the other week on Saturday Kitchen Live. A scandiavian chef was on and during the omlette challenge he said the omlette looked 'shit'. James Martin said 'you mean it looks rubbish?"
    Chef: Yes, sorry.
    A little laugh between the two.

Sorted.

Or you would think that until after the item when Martin apologied if anyone was offended by anything they heard earlier on.

Ok, official apology done. Sorted.

Nope, end of show and again Martin apologies to the viewers about anything think they heard during the show that they found offensive.

In the background the chef apologised again and Martin says 'see, even the chef apologies himself - see you next week'.

Why, why, why?????

It was a slip of the tongue on live tv that was dealt with in a humourous manner. I can't see 100s of people writing into complain about it.

Why keep referring back to it?

Colin Murray did the same to Freddie Ljungberg when he swore on MOTD2. He just wouldn't let it go.

Because some people will complain if no apology is given, and of course the Daily Mail would seize upon it.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    That was probably the list I was referring to :)
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must have missed the episode where Rodney tells Delboy to piss off or the episode where Delboy says to Mickey Pearce that he is talking bullshit. This is mild language and can often be heard in pop songs that get regular daytime radio play.

Or, as heard regularly at the time on daytime radio, on George Michael's Freeek, "I'll be your inspirational lover, your one-f**k fantasy."

05 - W*nker

If you say no. 4 it's an automatic 12, same for no. 5.

I would've thought no.5 would be a PG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

01 - C*nt
    02 - Motherf*cker
    03 - Cocksucker
    04 - F*ck
    05 - W*nker
    06 - Shit
    07 - Bastard
    08 - Bitch
    09 - **** / ****
    10 - Piss
    11 - Crap

This is list is old, my understanding of current BBFC guidelines is:
    01. Frequent/Agressive: 18 - Up To 7 Non-agressive Uses Passable at a 15
    02/03. Passable an unlimited amount of times at a 15, unlikely to be passed 12
    04. Passable an unlimited amount of times at 15, Traditionally passable up to 4 times at a 12 (though some films have exceeded this)
    05. Passable at a PG. Frequent or agressive use is likely to get a 12.
    06. Passable at a PG.
    07. Passable at a PG
    08. When directed negatively at someone it's likely to be a 12, when used in a less serious/agressive manner it's passable at a PG
    09.-11. Passable at a PG, you may get away with one or two uses in a U, especially with "crap"
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grissom123 wrote: »
    I've noticed that before movies start on any BBC channels, they warn that a lot of them contain "very strong language" - I have not watched one movie on any BBC channel that actually contained "very strong language". Very strong language is the c word. The worst you hear on most of the crappy movies they put on is a few f-words, but they say "very strong language".

From a conjecture perspective that is right, but they are obliged to give the warning. What would be amusing is if the announcer used synonyms to replace the adjective strong. For instance he/she could say very 'colorful' langauge instead. Just to give it variety.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    From a conjecture perspective that is right, but they are obliged to give the warning. What would be amusing is if the announcer used synonyms to replace the adjective strong. For instance he/she could say very 'colorful' langauge instead. Just to give it variety.

That'll just cause confusion. This sort of language isn't "colourful" or "bad", it's either 'strong' or 'very strong'.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    That'll just cause confusion. This sort of language isn't "colourful" or "bad", it's either 'strong' or 'very strong'.

Well use other pre modifiers then like diabolical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Well use other pre modifiers then like diabolical.

It's not that either. That implies it shouldn't be used. You're just confusing the matter by using such words.