New TV makes everything look like it was filmed on video in the 80s

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    It would be pretty unusual to allow customers to alter settings, and catastrophic in most shops which is why you don't put remotes out for customers to play with (apart from the fact they get stolen).

No they don't, Home settings aren't 'Dynamic', they are suitable settings for the home.

Not arguing with you, I know I'm right on this fact having worked in this industry for a long long time and anyone who's walked into a Currys/PC World/John Lewis will also see that remotes are available for most sets and you can play around with the settings as you please. It may be that you have to ask for the remote sometimes, but that doesn't stop you messing with settings does it!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Hinksy wrote: »
    Not arguing with you, I know I'm right on this fact having worked in this industry for a long long time

I've worked in the industry a LONG time as well, and still do - I don't see how you can imagine that 'Home' mode is no different to 'Shop' mode?.

Just check on the actual menu settings after you've set either of them - or just notice the huge difference in the picture :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I've worked in the industry a LONG time as well, and still do - I don't see how you can imagine that 'Home' mode is no different to 'Shop' mode?.

Just check on the actual menu settings after you've set either of them - or just notice the huge difference in the picture :D

I'm not debating there is a difference in the picture, I'm saying that most TVs will still set to Dynamic in home mode and Shop mode is designed, not just to provide bright, attractive, noticeable settings in a brightly lit environment but to reset to those settings so the shop staff don't have to do it (which is important in shops with hundreds of display TVs).
    Forum Member
    I'm saying that most TVs will still set to Dynamic in home mode.

I've not seen one yet that does?, unless you don't mean the most vivid picture option?, but something else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Not at all, not for a good many years - anything remotely modern will ask during initial install if it's for Home or Shop use, and set it accordingly.

Even some old CRT sets did this as well, although previous to that it was fairly common that the default settings out of the box were for shop demonstration mode - presumably on the grounds that shop staff were too thick to adjust it accordingly? :p

Indeed, I meant that in shops they are usually setup in a demo mode, so how they look in a shop doesn't equate to how they look at home.
    Forum Member
    Indeed, I meant that in shops they are usually setup in a demo mode, so how they look in a shop doesn't equate to how they look at home.

The point is that a shop isn't the same environment as a home, so the shop demo mode is intended to give as similar performance as possible in the shop as you would get at home - basically a shop is a great deal brighter than a home environment.

This is why Plasma's look crap in shops, because they don't enough brightness capacity to compete against the shop lighting.
  • flashman1flashman1 Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Home settings still tend to start on Dynamic and have everything enabled.
    Panasonic tv's don't come set to Dynamic ( but everything is enabled)
    None of the Panasonic sets I've had this year arrive in Dynamic.
    With LCD Dynamic is too high for normal viewing , however the LED sets I've had and still have come preset to the NORMAL setting but I've found that Dynamic is the best mode for them as NORMAL seems to make the picture as dull as plasma.

This is why Plasma's look crap in shops, because they don't enough brightness capacity to compete against the shop lighting.
    I found Panasonic plasma was crap in the home too.
    Even though I view in very low light I couldn't set the brightness or contrast to the levels I wanted .
    It gave the wife a headache too so it only stayed here for 5 or 6 days .

Went with my son to Richer Sounds where he also bough the same Panny LED I have and they had a large Panny plasma on the wall - pictures were so dull in comparison with every other screen on show - even LG and Samsung looked better although the various Panny LED sets looked great

Sometimes when my set is switching on from standby or switching from one input to another it goes to the default NORMAL mode for half a second before going to Dynamic and I find it hard to believe that anyone could view it set to NORMAL