Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 3)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,511
Administrator
Continuation of: Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)
I preferred the feedback format of 3 in a Bed where they stood as a group and gave their feedback to the owner's face. That feedback moment with Jean at her Holland Park abode was classic TV :D.

Comments

• BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shiny new thread! :)
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shiny new thread! :)

You beat me to it!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    You beat me to it!:D

;)
    I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!

Finally caught up with last night's FIAB.

Must admit, I was a bit disappointed in the tears from Janette...thought there was going to be pistols at dawn, especially after seeing the clip of Tony walking off! But it was something and nothing really.

Soooo annoyed they won. Yes, they got a plaque, but I'd much rather stay at any of the other B&B's than stay at theirs.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member
    Morning

They really played to the cameras. I was watching the mattressgate clip again and Tony does a bit of a sly glance directly at the camera, even though he's talking to Gary :rolleyes:

Gary's absolutely spot on, a customer care course should be top of their list.
    You could see how well trained Sophie is when she was asking Stephen if there was anything they could do at the hotel which would change his answer as to whether he'd stay again.

Don't know if anyone said on the last thread, but there was mention of a poor review of Ye Olde Fighting Cocks by the Doctor, but the programme's Doctor this week was Stephen, not Simon.
    Don't like that kind of mischief making (leaving fake reviews)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched several of these programmes now but never seen one with four in a bed . Why is it so-called when there are never more than two people in a bed ?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I have watched several of these programmes now but never seen one with four in a bed . Why is it so-called when there are never more than two people in a bed ?

Because there are 4 couples participating. It used to be called 3 in a bed when there were 3 couples participating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ;)
    I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!

Finally caught up with last night's FIAB.

Must admit, I was a bit disappointed in the tears from Janette...thought there was going to be pistols at dawn, especially after seeing the clip of Tony walking off! But it was something and nothing really.

Soooo annoyed they won. Yes, they got a plaque, but I'd much rather stay at any of the other B&B's than stay at theirs.

Tears from Jeanette was a surprise as she looked as hard as nails. Tears from Tony? :eek:
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Morning

They really played to the cameras. I was watching the mattressgate clip again and Tony does a bit of a sly glance directly at the camera, even though he's talking to Gary :rolleyes:

Gary's absolutely spot on, a customer care course should be top of their list.
    You could see how well trained Sophie is when she was asking Stephen if there was anything they could do at the hotel which would change his answer as to whether he'd stay again.

Don't know if anyone said on the last thread, but there was mention of a poor review of Ye Olde Fighting Cocks by the Doctor, but the programme's Doctor this week was Stephen, not Simon.
    Don't like that kind of mischief making (leaving fake reviews)

Those 2 were clearly delighted when they found something to moan about elsewhere. Everything they did was all for the cameras. Although I don't know how Tony thinks asking if everyone would like to meet up again and then says he didn't mean it straight to camera is good public relations! :eek: Sophie was right about him.

And now, a little list from each week of the series so far. :D

Sharon Parker – Victorian Villa

Alec and Craig Coleman - Edenfield Guesthouse

Robin Hughes - Dent Station

Ken Clutterbuck – The Wheatsheaf

Gloria Barnett and Dave Goulding Windy Bottom

John and Sue Blakemore – The Golf House
    &
    Nick Tyrie and his best friend Layla Amini –The New Inn

Tony Keates and Jeanette Hamer – Ye Olde Fighting Cocks

Don't know what to call this. 4IAB worst-so- far-o-meter? Who is your number 1? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning

Yes, I noticed that too....he's facing Gary, holding up the mattress and then looks straight down the lense at the camera and then back to Gary again, whilst he's ranting about how wrong Gary was :mad:
    Forum Member
    Those 2 were clearly delighted when they found something to moan about elsewhere.

Don't know what to call this. 4IAB worst-so- far-o-meter? Who is your number 1? :D

I just don't get it.
    I do get the attitude that if someone's been OTT with nit picking and scoring you, then you feel their own standards should be beyond reproach, of course I do, that's just human nature, but I really don't understand the glee and positively reveling in it.

It makes me wonder what kind of an inspection I'd give and what would warrant comment. Would I just lift the loo seat and look it over, or would I get down on my hands and knees, check for dust on any semi concealed pipes, rub paper around the underneath of the rim etc.? I think it would be the former.

Likewise with the beds - check if there was a mattress cover and how good a quality it all felt.

Don't know what to comment on the list either ew, I missed week one.
    What I would quite like is for 4 of those contestants, who haven't met previously, to compete in a 4iaB 'allstars' week to round the series off :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What I would quite like is for 4 of those contestants, who haven't met previously, to compete in a 4iaB 'allstars' week to round the series off :D

You missed Sharon of the funeral parlour B&B? Now, she really was a horror!:eek:
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term '3 in a bed' is an expression from darts. Some bright spark, probably after a very long lunch or night in the pub, presumably thought it worthy of a tv programme about B&B's hence the initial programmes featuring 3 properties. It worked, so they decided to expand it into a week long format by adding an extra property and tweaking the name.

Enjoyable though it is, if you took away all the 'coming up' bits and reviews of what's gone before, you'd be left with a good one hour programme rather than a five night one.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this the final week of this series? Have to say I'm getting more and more disillusioned with the contestants each week, and more and more disappointed with the "winners"!

None of the couples this week really appealed to me, but out of all of them I think I would have liked to stay at Dr Stephen's the most, but to be honest he really was somewhat of a snob, turning up his nose at the Elgin Hotel before he even saw the front door of it just because it was in Blackpool! Personally, I wouldn't have a problem staying there at all, the rooms look nice as did the breakfast!

Self catering is not really my scene for short breaks, and Jeanette and Tony are just awful people, and although their B&B looked nice enough, their performance on this programme would put me off for life!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was this the final week of this series? Have to say I'm getting more and more disillusioned with the contestants each week, and more and more disappointed with the "winners"!

None of the couples this week really appealed to me, but out of all of them I think I would have liked to stay at Dr Stephen's the most, but to be honest he really was somewhat of a snob, turning up his nose at the Elgin Hotel before he even saw the front door of it just because it was in Blackpool! Personally, I wouldn't have a problem staying there at all, the rooms look nice as did the breakfast!

Self catering is not really my scene for short breaks, and Jeanette and Tony are just awful people, and although their B&B looked nice enough, their performance on this programme would put me off for life!

There are 2 more weeks left.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are 2 more weeks left.

Oh! Ok, thanks for that! :)
  • lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I noticed that too....he's facing Gary, holding up the mattress and then looks straight down the lense at the camera and then back to Gary again, whilst he's ranting about how wrong Gary was :mad:

Yes, and I replayed the bit where he was asked by Gary "do you know what these marks are?" He did not then suggest that they were part of the pattern even though he had the same view of the mattress as the second time.

Sorry, I have spent the afternoon catching up so my points have probably been said, but want to say anyway :)Ugh, awful man. He went on about customer service, profit, business etc and he then misused the biggest marketing trick for his newish business - appearing on telly! Mr Fighting Cocks and the Carole Malone look-a-like did not deserve to win, imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member

It's not the only programme title that fails to deliver. How about "I'm a Celebrity"?;)
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    I just don't get it.
    I do get the attitude that if someone's been OTT with nit picking and scoring you, then you feel their own standards should be beyond reproach, of course I do, that's just human nature, but I really don't understand the glee and positively reveling in it.

It makes me wonder what kind of an inspection I'd give and what would warrant comment. Would I just lift the loo seat and look it over, or would I get down on my hands and knees, check for dust on any semi concealed pipes, rub paper around the underneath of the rim etc.? I think it would be the former.

Likewise with the beds - check if there was a mattress cover and how good a quality it all felt.

It's a competition so I suppose some are more keen to win than others, but I don't see the need to be so picky and revel in the discovery of 'a hair' or 'a spider'!

I'd rather stay with nice people, it's as simple as that - and while I wouldn't stay in a filthy room, the odd spider or web in a country property wouldn't bother me, especially if the breakfast was good.
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only Gary had knocked something off for the way Tony spoke to him they might not have won.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    It's a competition so I suppose some are more keen to win than others, but I don't see the need to be so picky and revel in the discovery of 'a hair' or 'a spider'!

I'd rather stay with nice people, it's as simple as that - and while I wouldn't stay in a filthy room, the odd spider or web in a country property wouldn't bother me, especially if the breakfast was good.

I have to agree with you. A hair or a spider are really not worth making a point over. Genuine people are far more important to me.

I am sorry that Tony and wife won. The way he spoke to Gary was awful! Whether it was mould or a pattern, the tone of voice he used was very rude.

Apologies ... I assume these points have been discussed in depth already. I only watched it this afternoon. :o
    Forum Member
    Morning

Quote from last thread Wolfsheadish
    Quote from teacup333
    did he write that there were 'hares' in the bed?

I hate when that happens...

It's as bad as newts in the hall!
    :D you remembered.
    You missed Sharon of the funeral parlour B&B? Now, she really was a horror!:eek:
    I did, maybe I should try and catch up OD if it's still there. Slow internet connection doesn't make it easy.
    The term '3 in a bed' is an expression from darts.
    Enjoyable though it is, if you took away all the 'coming up' bits and reviews of what's gone before, you'd be left with a good one hour programme rather than a five night one.
    Oh yes, never thought about that before.
    And - you're not wrong there.
    Yes, and I replayed the bit where he was asked by Gary "do you know what these marks are?" He did not then suggest that they were part of the pattern even though he had the same view of the mattress as the second time.

Sorry, I have spent the afternoon catching up so my points have probably been said, but want to say anyway :)Ugh, awful man. He went on about customer service, profit, business etc and he then misused the biggest marketing trick for his newish business - appearing on telly! Mr Fighting Cocks and the Carole Malone look-a-like did not deserve to win, imo.
    I have to agree with you. A hair or a spider are really not worth making a point over. Genuine people are far more important to me.

I am sorry that Tony and wife won. The way he spoke to Gary was awful! Whether it was mould or a pattern, the tone of voice he used was very rude.

Apologies ... I assume these points have been discussed in depth already. I only watched it this afternoon. :o

No worries. It's hard when you watch later and burst to say something, doesn't make it any less valid.

Agree with both of you, no matter what happens, it's the way you deal with it that reflects on you most.
    Bellamy wrote: »
    It's not the only programme title that fails to deliver. How about "I'm a Celebrity"?;)
    :D so true.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning

Quote from last thread Wolfsheadish

:D you remembered.

I did, maybe I should try and catch up OD if it's still there. Slow internet connection doesn't make it easy.

Oh yes, never thought about that before.
    And - you're not wrong there.

No worries. It's hard when you watch later and burst to say something, doesn't make it any less valid.

Agree with both of you, no matter what happens, it's the way you deal with it that reflects on you most.

:D so true.

Yes but these people are contestants in a show, not bona fide guests who have done some research and booked the hotel/B&B of their own accord. I think anyone, unless they have book a room in a squat, who strips the bed and tips the mattress upside down as soon as they enter the room has a screw loose and DESERVE to find something horrid :rolleyes:.
    Gary was being a pedantic little so-and-so for doing that. As for Tony, well he was not speaking to a real guest, he was speaking to a fussy little tw*t who'd just insulted him and his establishment for the benefit of the cameras. It's hard to be polite when you're dealing with the human equivalent of a haemorrhoid :cool: But to be honest I didnt really like any of them last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But to be honest I didnt really like any of them last week.

I quite liked the scottish couple and Stephen was quite sweet
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too, Stephen was running the sort of establishment we love there are enough hotels out there I don't understand B&Bs who try to copy them, for us B&Bs were about staying in someone else's home not a hotel. Some places we joined them to watch the TV in the evening etc. Or we would sit in the garden when weather was nice. And his place would have suited us fine.
    Forum Member
    Yes but these people are contestants in a show, not bona fide guests
    Gary was being a pedantic little so-and-so for doing that. As for Tony, well he was not speaking to a real guest, he was speaking to a fussy little tw*t who'd just insulted him and his establishment for the benefit of the cameras. It's hard to be polite when you're dealing with the human equivalent of a haemorrhoid :cool:

Exactly, they're contestants in a show, gaining free publicity on TV and they're following a script of what to do.
    Many many participants now look at the mattress, it's not the first time we've seen that.

To be fair, even if that's your opinion of Gary (it isn't mine) it doesn't matter if he was a paying guest or not, it was Tony's opportunity to demonstrate his character and level of customer service.
    And if you are in the hospitality industry, you do have to deal with people who speak to you in a way you don't like, but the professionals don't let their inner feelings show through.

Tony should have stayed calm and pleasant and said that the mattress seems to have an unfortunate pattern, but he could assure the guest that it is absolutely not mouldy, however, as customer satisfaction is paramount and a good night's sleep imperative, by all means he'll have it changed so that there's absolutely no need for any concerns.

If he'd handled it like that there'd have been very little debate about it afterwards and it would've damped down the flames of the whole affair.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought so too. At least they took pleasure in places and activities, unlike Tony and Janette who sucked all the fun out of any situation.
This discussion has been closed.