*****The 100 - US Pace*****

Comments

• Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they use adult actors because of the content. I have just watched the new episode and I am amazed how violent it was. One boy we saw hanging. Although he was eventually cut down he was struggling. It was horrific.

Not really, I doubt anyone in the target audience would be remotely concerned by anything in the show. As for it being the reason to use actors so much older than the roles they play, I really don't buy it. I'm sure there are contractual benefits but it still comes across as very incongruous.
    Plus that 12 year old girl kills herself.

Well we don't technically know she is dead but given how lacking in any depth the plotting is she may well be.
    I have just seen the final ratings for the episode and it has gone down to a 0.5. I think you can accept violence in the Originals etc because it is fantasy. I suppose you could say this is fantasy but it is about human beings in the future.

I think the core problem is that it is badly plotted, badly written and badly acted. The character don't appear to have any consistent motivation with instant, unprompted mood swings and changes of character definition which make no sense.

The core of the problem is that, as so many genre shows do, it has fallen hook, line and sinker into the trap of pushing the mores of our own era onto a society which cannot possibly share those mores and then deal very poorly with how that impacts characters. The idea a society which has spent 3 generations living in a Zero Tolerance environment can suddenly balk at the idea of instant justice is ridiculous.

This is the core of why it's killed itself as a show, which despite a decent concept has failed to provide a decent entertainment experience.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul555 wrote: »
    Good to see Janae from Neighbours again. She was one of my favourite characters. And she doesn't look any different either, that was years ago she was in it. And still looking good ;-)

Eliza Taylor (Clarke - main girl character) btw if you didn't watch Neighbours

I remember her from The Sleepover Club that used to be on Nickelodeon :blush::D
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare_Allan wrote: »
    Well it's The CW. Every show except Arrow is "90210 meets xyz"
    Except?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very much in the "do I give up?" stage. I'm starting not to know or care who the characters are. I guess I may carry on because most of the Network shows end. Yet I've kind of lost all hope with CW. Nothing is sticking.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Except?

Arrow gets a pass because the core characters are meant to be in the mid to late twenties, whereas pretty much the rest of the CW output is teens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very much in the "do I give up?" stage. I'm starting not to know or care who the characters are. I guess I may carry on because most of the Network shows end. Yet I've kind of lost all hope with CW. Nothing is sticking.

The way they destroyed all the good work they did in Episode three with the atrocious fourth episode was very galling and really doesn't look good for the future of the series

It's almost as if they don't want any plotline which isn't obvious and sign-posted. Characters are good or bad with little in between and any questions about shades of grey need to be answered within an episode or two.

The annoying thing is that stepping back, it would be so easy to fix some of the glaring errors. Would it really have been so hard to background the Charlotte storyline, even just putting the initial scene with her and Clarke in Episode 2 would have at least gone some way towards that but no, it's the CW you can't include it in a recap, you have to have it in the episode where things happen, so its a brand new character and the next episode, turns out the character is a Redshirt.

Killing Wells really made it look like they might choose a direction which was more respectful of the audience, although no looking back, Jasper not being dead kinda indicated it would just be The vampire Diaries, so anyone that "died" wouldn't end up being dead. It wouldn't surprise me if Wells ends up re-appearing with a typically insulting CW Deus Ex Machina explanation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 episodes in and i'm loving it. The second best show on the CW (After Arrow) for me
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally at the end of the new episode we actually get to meet the 'grounders'. I thought they might be mutants like the deer but the character we saw at the end looked normal. He doesn't have any nice hair like the 100 so he probably isn't an American!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another terrible cliché ridden episode.

They even included a "trips over a stone and falls over" scene. Who's buying this in 2014?

I wonder if the grounders, being isolated for 100 years will turn out to speak perfect American English. I'm predicting a yes on this one.

I;d really like to know the population of the Ark. they kill 300 to extend life support for how long? What's the total population, surely you're going to need at least 5,000 to support a juvenile delinquent population of 100.

It's one thing to suspend disbelief but when that descends into insulting the audience, I don't see where the show can go. If the plot is entirely driven by utterly ridiculous and nonsensical decisions how can they offer any sort of character development.

The lack of redundancy built into communication between the Ark and the 100 is going way beyond contrived.

Not to mention that we now have to believe that Kane, having plotted to kill the Chancellor and setting up Bellamy to do the deed for him now has persuaded the Chancellor not to suicide with the rest of the sacrifices in section 17? Ridiculous.

And yes, it is that obvious it is Kane who set Bellamy up, you don't even need to go past his name to know this.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^feels a little harsh (apart from the "oh darn it I've tripped" bit)

re: please don't kill yourself Mr "I want you dead so I can take your place" bit - I found it completely plausible that MrEvil realised the people would refuse to take his leadership and thus needed MrGood to stay alive.... for the time being at least.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another terrible cliché ridden episode.

They even included a "trips over a stone and falls over" scene. Who's buying this in 2014?

I wonder if the grounders, being isolated for 100 years will turn out to speak perfect American English. I'm predicting a yes on this one.

I;d really like to know the population of the Ark. they kill 300 to extend life support for how long? What's the total population, surely you're going to need at least 5,000 to support a juvenile delinquent population of 100.

It's one thing to suspend disbelief but when that descends into insulting the audience, I don't see where the show can go. If the plot is entirely driven by utterly ridiculous and nonsensical decisions how can they offer any sort of character development.

The lack of redundancy built into communication between the Ark and the 100 is going way beyond contrived.

Not to mention that we now have to believe that Kane, having plotted to kill the Chancellor and setting up Bellamy to do the deed for him now has persuaded the Chancellor not to suicide with the rest of the sacrifices in section 17? Ridiculous.

And yes, it is that obvious it is Kane who set Bellamy up, you don't even need to go past his name to know this.
    I thought it was a great episode and I was shocked the 300 people were killed...

5 episodes in and I'm loving it. so maybe its just not for you
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a lot better episode, it would be good if the grounders could kill most of the bland kids, and then we could get more proper drama, like there was on the Ark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^feels a little harsh (apart from the "oh darn it I've tripped" bit)

re: please don't kill yourself Mr "I want you dead so I can take your place" bit - I found it completely plausible that MrEvil realised the people would refuse to take his leadership and thus needed MrGood to stay alive.... for the time being at least.

In an environment where "they have shown the best of themselves" you think there is any real likelihood that they would suddenly decide that means revolt against Chancellor Kane because the previous chancellor decided to join The 300?

That doesn't make sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    I thought it was a great episode and I was shocked the 300 people were killed...

5 episodes in and I'm loving it. so maybe its just not for you

I'm not really sure how meaningful letting the 300 die was.

Not one character in the 300 had been seen before yesterday's episode. They were effectively Redshirts. Killing 300 Redshirts is meaningless, tbh it's even more meaningless as only one of the Redshirts got face time on screen. So really they only actually killed 1 Redshirt and 300 non-humans.

You may be right that it's "not for me" but i would say that genre shows are still a rareity and there is no requirement for genre shows to be so poorly done that they lack any character development or acceptable plot. The 100 is one of very few genre shows on TV.

I would blame the CW in that they offer a higher proportion of genre shows than other networks. But that's not really the problem. The CW can do genre shows. They do Arrow and they do it well, they have a drunk, a bully, a bitch and an utter bastard as the main character of the series, there's plenty of shades of grey in here. The characters act as you would expect them to act pretty much all the time (ok except Theo and Roy). But over all it's pretty well done.

They can even do a show where you have to completely and utterly suspend any belief in Reign. They actually make it a genre show because it is pure fantasy. But the characters work in the way they have been written, and consistently throughout the series, they don't switch week by week between motivation.

The 100 fails at every single measure of an acceptable show. And at every single measure of being an acceptable genre show.

Character's change motivation scene by scene, they use 2014 mores despite an environment which would utterly exclude such mores. The plot is driven by decisions a five year old would not make. They use every cliché in the "newbies guide to scripting $1000 horror films".

There will only ever be so many genre shows on TV. Finding ones that completely fail to deliver abhorrent and commenting on this failure should be encouraged. Bad shows are bad shows. Bad genre shows are a wasted opportunity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an environment where "they have shown the best of themselves" you think there is any real likelihood that they would suddenly decide that means revolt against Chancellor Kane because the previous chancellor decided to join The 300?
    That doesn't make sense.
    the "showing their best" thing was in response to the vid. The vid was done by "heartfelt and compassionate people" [need better wording]. What I took from his " please don't kill yourself" thing was that he knew he didn't have it in him to get the people to react this way and people reacting.. people coming together as a whole is what they all need during the times ahead as they try to prevent total deadness due to no oxygen. He knew it would take people like the X-Greys guy and the DrWife lady to bring everyone together and thus he felt it "wasn't his time to rule" - well that's what I took from the ep. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure how meaningful letting the 300 die was.

Not one character in the 300 had been seen before yesterday's episode. They were effectively Redshirts. Killing 300 Redshirts is meaningless, tbh it's even more meaningless as only one of the Redshirts got face time on screen. So really they only actually killed 1 Redshirt and 300 non-humans.

You may be right that it's "not for me" but i would say that genre shows are still a rareity and there is no requirement for genre shows to be so poorly done that they lack any character development or acceptable plot. The 100 is one of very few genre shows on TV.

I would blame the CW in that they offer a higher proportion of genre shows than other networks. But that's not really the problem. The CW can do genre shows. They do Arrow and they do it well, they have a drunk, a bully, a bitch and an utter bastard as the main character of the series, there's plenty of shades of grey in here. The characters act as you would expect them to act pretty much all the time (ok except Theo and Roy). But over all it's pretty well done.

They can even do a show where you have to completely and utterly suspend any belief in Reign. They actually make it a genre show because it is pure fantasy. But the characters work in the way they have been written, and consistently throughout the series, they don't switch week by week between motivation.

The 100 fails at every single measure of an acceptable show. And at every single measure of being an acceptable genre show.

Character's change motivation scene by scene, they use 2014 mores despite an environment which would utterly exclude such mores. The plot is driven by decisions a five year old would not make. They use every cliché in the "newbies guide to scripting $1000 horror films".

There will only ever be so many genre shows on TV. Finding ones that completely fail to deliver abhorrent and commenting on this failure should be encouraged. Bad shows are bad shows. Bad genre shows are a wasted opportunity.

This is the part that bothers me. You have been isolated for centuries as a society and some of the kids have been isolated even further for most of their lives. You go down to Earth and it is as if a party of city kids have gone to summer camp. The lead actress is constantly making moral statements. Calling her Clarke was ridiculous: it reminds me of Clarke Kent every time her name is mentioned. I see from the credits that this comes from a book. I cannot believe a writer would lack imagination in this respect.

In the latest final ratings the show has gone down to a 0.5. Even though ratings seem to decline across the board during spring/summer it has dropped from 0.9 and we are only a few episodes in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    the "showing their best" thing was in response to the vid. The vid was done by "heartfelt and compassionate people" [need better wording]. What I took from his " please don't kill yourself" thing was that he knew he didn't have it in him to get the people to react this way and people reacting.. people coming together as a whole is what they all need during the times ahead as they try to prevent total deadness due to no oxygen. He knew it would take people like the X-Greys guy and the DrWife lady to bring everyone together and thus he felt it "wasn't his time to rule" - well that's what I took from the ep. :)

Yes which is exactly what I mean about characters acting well outside their established motivation and development. Kane is the series antagonist on the Ark. So far he has been acting in a deliberate way to get the Chancellor out his way and assume the role himself.

He has consistently been willing to sacrifice anyone and everyone who gets in his way and kill 100s of people to achieve his own goal of power. Then suddenly we are to believe he persuaded the Chancellor not to do what he wants.

It is a nonsense and completely incongruous.

Kane is beyond being a pantomime villain. From his name to his actions to the ridiculous way he wants to block every single action Abi Griffin is attempting to save humanity from ending in a dying Ark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I get where you're coming from - the strong evil villain who's so confident and certain in his belief that he and he alone is the right man for the job, that he'll kill anyone who stands in his way, only to then seemingly lose faith in himself and beg XGrey to stay as only he can do the job right. <- right ?!

Maybe calling him Kane is a big red-herring thing and we're just finding out he isn't as big-a super villain as he first appeared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Writing multiple paragraphs slagging this show off seems like a bigger waste of anyone's time than actually watching it in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    Writing multiple paragraphs slagging this show off seems like a bigger waste of anyone's time than actually watching it in the first place.

I'm not slagging off the show.

I'm criticising a show which had a lot of potential but has failed due to extremely bad scriptwriting.

The 100 should be an incredible show. It isn't. That's the problem.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Well, it appears as though we've another conspiracy underway soon, with Cindy (is it)? That, and apparently these grounders (as mentioned above) can speak English - though I wonder whether they can, or whether the one in question managed to pick up the words and their meanings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Well, it appears as though we've another conspiracy underway soon, with Cindy (is it)? That, and apparently these grounders (as mentioned above) can speak English - though I wonder whether they can, or whether the one in question managed to pick up the words and their meanings.

I was grateful that the ship did make contact. Now they have the problem only 700 can go down. How can they keep calling it the 100 if more come down. However it will become really boring if the villain etc are always on the ship. I can see the adults and kids setting up different groups on Earth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

The complete change in Kane was utterly ridiculous in yesterday's episode. And with the introduction of a new potential baddy, perhaps they've realised they created a pantomime and are now backtracking with a brand new antagonist.

In its favour last week it highlighted the importance of Kane's right hand man and it was him who is now revealed as the guy behind the conspiracy to murder the Chancellor. But again this wasn't followed up this week which seems to be another missed opportunity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was grateful that the ship did make contact. Now they have the problem only 700 can go down. How can they keep calling it the 100 if more come down. However it will become really boring if the villain etc are always on the ship. I can see the adults and kids setting up different groups on Earth.

It was clear from the dialogue that they have "another problem" and this was obviously going to be they only have limited drop capacity. But did they actually give the figure of 700 in the show or is this taken from a review or plot notes from the CW?
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I was grateful that the ship did make contact. Now they have the problem only 700 can go down.
    There's two likely scenarios here; the first being that 700 do venture down, and the remainder stay on the station (700 people less, more oxygen and supplies for the remaining, at least until they can figure out a way down too).

The other (and quite possibly, likely scenario) is that someone (one of the 700) detonates the station killing everyone else.
    How can they keep calling it the 100 if more come down.
    It's easy. They'll launch a pod every series. Season #2 will be named The 200, Season #3 will be The 300 and so on. When we hit Season #8, that'll be everyone. Season #9 will be named The 800 Astronauts and the Grounders we didn't think could have survived, but they did and there's likely thousands of them. :D
    In its favour last week it highlighted the importance of Kane's right hand man and it was him who is now revealed as the guy behind the conspiracy to murder the Chancellor.
    Honestly, I completely missed that. I thought it was that other asian looking fella. Where/When was it highlighted that Kane was involved?

On an unrelated note, I did find it ... comical that the grounder they had captured was wearing an otherwise untorn, nice dirty t-shirt. Not animal skin or robes as you might expect, but a proper T-shirt, likely Nike or something.