Ice Dance at the WInter Olympics 2006

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ludovica wrote:
    As I understand it, the old system of marking on Artistic Impression, comparative to the Artistic Impression of competitors, has been replaced by a variety of cumulative marks on more measurable individual qualities.. Hence, as the Chinese lady did execute all the required elements eventually, as well as show good interpretation of the music, she only lost marks on the bits that were faulty rather than from the performance in general as contrasted to other performances
    as it would have been previously. I personally think the new system is a step in the right direction but the whole system need a radical overhaul if a fallen skater is beating others who did not fall. It ought not to be the case that a "failed quad" is worth more than a "perfect double" as in my opinion, a miss is as good as a mile

I totally agree it is a step in the right direction and also agree that it seems advantageous to have a go at a jump even if you have no hope of landing it, if you are going to be infront of someone who jumped cleanly but with less difficulty

This happened with Johnny Weir on Tuesday - the commentators reckoned he had played safe by not attempting a quad but landed all his jumps and therefore should be in a medal position - he was actually marked 4th - despite all his artistry and not falling on any of the jumps - Lambiel attempted jumps (except a triple axel)some of which he didn't all land and was given the silver - but he is Swiss which is geographically very close to Italy isn't it ?
  • podge1podge1 Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Sports with human judges (no matter how expert) will always be open to suspicion of bias, opinion etc. eg. figure skating, gymnastics and diving to mention the obvious.

Where the result is measured electronically e.g. athletics and swimming the outcome is much more acceptable.

Provided, of course, it's not substance aided!
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    And the computer's working properly! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the British pair start off as ballroom dancers by any chance?
    The woman has that frozen smile that some dancers seem to think is attractive but just looks daft!
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I hear right - are the British pair trained by someone with the surname Slater .. is that any relation to Nicky Slater ex-British ice dancer and judge on Dancing on Ice?
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindyann wrote:
    Did I hear right - are the British pair trained by someone with the surname Slater .. is that any relation to Nicky Slater ex-British ice dancer and judge on Dancing on Ice?

His mum is their coach.
  • Arnostae's MumArnostae's Mum Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kookycelt wrote:
    Did the British pair start off as ballroom dancers by any chance?
    The woman has that frozen smile that some dancers seem to think is attractive but just looks daft!

No ballroom dancing, just skated from an early age.

John used to do an excellent Michael Jackson moonwalk.
  • CP30CP30 Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    nancy1975 wrote:
    New marking system, same bias..... :D :rolleyes:
    I was screaming at my television on the night of the compulsory dances. In all the years I've followed skating I've never seen such a ridiculous bit of judging. I thought the Italians looked better than I thought they would but NO way were they the best. :mad: Russians, Bulgarians and Americans were way better.

Let's hope the judges do better tonight with the Original Dance. If they don't I worry I may throw something at my TV!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CP30 wrote:
    I was screaming at my television on the night of the compulsory dances. In all the years I've followed skating I've never seen such a ridiculous bit of judging. I thought the Italians looked better than I thought they would but NO way were they the best. :mad: Russians, Bulgarians and Americans were way better.

Let's hope the judges do better tonight with the Original Dance. If they don't I worry I may throw something at my TV!

Well if it does go pear shaped you can always come and join the Winkers at our party tonight on the Bonnie Tonight thread.

8pm Sharp, bring a bottle and some more FM's!!! ;)
  • DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    I've just finished watching the ice dancing and I'm stunned by the number of them falling over. That poor Canadian woman really hurt herself.

Ice dancing has really changed. You always used to get falls in the figure skating but it was quite rare in the ice dance. It seems to be much harder than it used to be.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't help but smirk when that Italian couple fell this evening. They should never have been ranked first.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Italians married, because if so i see a divorce looming! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posy wrote:
    Are the Italians married, because if so i see a divorce looming! :rolleyes:
    The looks she was giving him when they finished :eek:
    I was stunned at how many of them fell over. The woman in the white dress looked as if she really hurt herself too.
    One couple fell over on a foot sequence which I was amazed at.
    Robin Cousins commented that it's because a lot of them are trying to do things which are above their capability.
  • novicenovice Posts: 3,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was quite remarkable that through Saturday night's Dancing on Ice programme, absolutely no mention whatever was made of the Olympics. And yet we saw the winners of FIVE Olympic gold medals - three in ice skating (I'm counting Kelly twice here!). AND Robin Cousins jetted back from Italy where he's doing the ice skaing commentary for the Saturday night programme before skipping back over there again.

Is it because the Olympics are on BBC?? It seems so strange not to acknowledge them at all.
  • Arnostae's MumArnostae's Mum Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be great to see John and Sinead appear on DOI on Saturday or on next week's final?