Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I setup a phone vote for the following:-

1 dial 0901 66601 for ITV to stop showing crap
    2 dial 0901 66602 if ITV should closedown now
    3 dial 0901 66603 if you want ITV to stop showing z listed celebs
    4 dial 0901 66604 if you want ITV Play/The mint removed form our screens
    5 dial 0901 66605 if you don't give a ****

Call cost £1.50 and nil goes to charity...
  • craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant wait to read what Ally Ross made of all this on Friday
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been to have a look at the ITV message boards – and there seems to be a general air of disgust over the programme.

It seems that if you text a vote for one of the animals you then get an advertising text back from ITV asking if you want a mobile wallpaper of that animal for £3.00 – with only 50p of that going to Xtinct-factor fund. :eek:

However some of the level of posts over there are not exactly high brow........

“I must say that the panda's were so cute!! and i don't want the polar bears to become extinct but why do people want to vote for something that would eat a man over something cute like the panda.”

:D
  • KINGFISHER 30KINGFISHER 30 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    It could have been worse.
    They could have got the X Factor judges in to get the viewers voting.

Simon - "I won't patronise you, I'm going to be honest with you...you're the best gorilla we've ever had in this competition."
    Sharon - "You can do no wrong for me, you're not a one trick pony,..and you're sooo cute."
    Louis - "You owned that jungle, you made that jungle your own. You've got a huge career ahead of you."

:D:D very good alrightmate
    Forum Member
    However some of the level of posts over there are not exactly high brow........

“I must say that the panda's were so cute!! and i don't want the polar bears to become extinct but why do people want to vote for something that would eat a man over something cute like the panda.”

love that :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked out williamhill.co.uk and the giant panda is 10/11 favorite to win the cash - macaw 33/1 outsider!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Blind Date, The Brian Conley Show, Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game, Noel's House Party etc. Back in the day before we were expected to fund saturday night tv.
  • CalmGCalmG Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craigy132 wrote:
    Just checked out williamhill.co.uk and the giant panda is 10/11 favorite to win the cash - macaw 33/1 outsider!!!

I thought this was a joke, but you really can bet on it. :(
  • mmcdmmcd Posts: 8,558
    Forum Member
    Ruokasi wrote:
    Will there be a theme? ABBA?
    :D No, think it should be songs by the Monkees or perhaps the Beetles or the Animals :D

Edit: joking aside, I watched this last night and totally agree that this programme was terrible. Any money made from this programme should be split evenly between all the endangered animals. Just another money grabbing exercise from ITV. I wonder how much money they/telephone company will be making out of this cos you can bet that 100% of it will not be making their way to the wildlife charities. :mad:
  • xflarexflare Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigh... we all know whats going to win. If you're not fluffy and cute you're screwed when it comes to popularity contests lol.
  • rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailers were fairly pretentious, but I did hope that ITV would turn a corner with Extinct. I was really wrong.

I love how ITV bring out Trever McDonald out of the cupboard as obviously they think he gives credibility to an otherwise suspect format, yet (and maybe I'm alone) I think his style of presentation is patronising and comes across so uncomfortably.

Also, I find it a joke that Rice lectures us on the shameful state of the environment having FLOWN to and across the Arctic in planes and helicopters only to interfere more directly with a polar bear's habitat than any of us by stunning a bear and her cub, landing the chopper, and putting some tag on just to ascertain what apparently we already know; that they're endangered. Is this what our £1m would go towards?

And don't get me started on the overall format. What a disgrace. If you really care enough to pick up the phone, then just donate directly. Pitting the animals against each other as if ITV are playing god somehow is shameful.

I was sure that wildlife programmes were at least somewhat sacred by their nature (pun unintended) than anything else, yet ITV still manage to make it nothing short of a farce.

I'd love to see Michael Grade make the same argument as everyone here. I hope it's one he at least thinks should be made.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This programme is a big turn-off for me. It's amazing how ITV have managed to turn even the most noble and genuine of causes into an X Factor-style phone voting event.

I'm sure they could raise much more money by not wasting so much cash on sending these silly celebrities on these 'missions' to save the planet :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you spend saturday night watching hercule poirot being pawed by a panda, dermot o dreary talking to turtles and aneka rice chasing polar bears in a helicopter it changes your entire outlook on life!
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had really wanted to make a difference they could have just held a Telethon to raise money for the WWF or similar organisation.

At least that way it might not jave felt so tacky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    It could have been worse.
    They could have got the X Factor judges in to get the viewers voting.

Simon - "I won't patronise you, I'm going to be honest with you...you're the best gorilla we've ever had in this competition."
    Sharon - "You can do no wrong for me, you're not a one trick pony,..and you're sooo cute."
    Louis - "You owned that jungle, you made that jungle your own. You've got a huge career ahead of you."

Now wouldnt Louis have also said
    "You remind me of a young King Kong" :)

This "programme" was appalling. Cant we vote ITV off the air?
    Forum Member
    "You remind me of a young King Kong"

:D:D don't know why but these x factor piss takes are really making me laugh
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alan6012 wrote:
    "You remind me of a young King Kong" :)

This "programme" was appalling. Cant we vote ITV off the air?

oh my god i can actually hear him say the words in my head
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    mmcd wrote:
    I wonder how much money they/telephone company will be making out of this cos you can bet that 100% of it will not be making their way to the wildlife charities. :mad:

Calls cost 50p from BT, at least 35p from each call will go to charity.
    Texts cost 50p plus standard network rate and 30p from each text will go to charity. As somebody mentioned you also get sent a text asking if you want to buy an Extinct picture for your phone for £3.00, 50p of which goes to the Extinct fund.
    They also have an online store with a few bits of merchandise, 15% of the retail price goes to WWF.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    They should have done a Children in Need/Comic Relief style program/night, with light entertainment interspersed with wildlife footage, and a phone number in the so that you could donate, and the money split equally.
    Forum Member
    Calls cost 50p from BT, at least 35p from each call will go to charity.
    Texts cost 50p plus standard network rate and 30p from each text will go to charity. As somebody mentioned you also get sent a text asking if you want to buy an Extinct picture for your phone for £3.00, 50p of which goes to the Extinct fund.
    They also have an online store with a few bits of merchandise, 15% of the retail price goes to WWF.

gees - they're just too generous :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"whats that Mr Anstis? u want 40k to appear in the jungle? no problem!"

"Ant and Dec want HOW much??? no problem"

"have we got that 20 million to purchase champions league matches once a week? no problem!"
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elpaw wrote:
    They should have done a Children in Need/Comic Relief style program/night, with light entertainment interspersed with wildlife footage, and a phone number in the so that you could donate, and the money split equally.

Exactly, knowing the way the GB Public gets behind these kinds of things they could probably have raised in the region of £8-10 million during a 6 hour telethon and had enough money to assist all these causes.

I mean the telethon they did for the Princes Trust last summer raised over £5 million.

But of course ITV wouldn't have profited from it 0900 numbers if they had done that. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xflare wrote:
    Sigh... we all know whats going to win. If you're not fluffy and cute you're screwed when it comes to popularity contests lol.

A lot of shy teenagers think the same

:D
  • Sheba's collarSheba's collar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To quote Catherine Tate's Nan:"What a load of old s**t"

Just started watching my recording of this on VHS(ironic for such a programme)and within two minutes wanted to turn it off!! A studio auidience,TV presenters in "the jungle" a text vote!! WTF! Just spend the money on on a decent documentary or better yet bring back Survival! Or failing all those,leave nature shows to the BBC and Attenborough.

Do we need dumb TV presenters to go out "researching" speicies at risk?

Im suprised there wasn't a vote "Text which animal we spend the million,we can only save one species,so vote wisely"

Text "SAVE and the animal of your choice to 8588,the other animals will be left to die or their locatrion given away to hunters!"

Okay got to first break and already Anneka Rice(back in a helicopter-oh the irony,how long did it take ITV to come up with that)has scared a polar bear iinto the water!! "A weeks work tracking them wasted" Well pi** off back to the warm hotel!

More later..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the title 'Extinct' is referring to the careers of Anneka Rice and Zoe Ball.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought it was hilarious when anneka said, without any hint of irony, that the anaesthetic used to stun the bears could potentially kill him as well.

LOL!