Man buys homeless man lunch...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A cyclist buys a homeless man lunch - well, 'anything' he wants.

A nice gesture? Yes... But I can't help wonder why he put video footage of it online?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2146671/Cyclist-buys-homeless-man-wanted-eat.html

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    It's kinda sad the way a lot of people are so superficial that they only seem to empathise with stuff when there's a video on youtube to support it.
  • Nard DogNard Dog Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and then you upload it to youtube...

as you do
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because publicists get a lot of articles published in tabloid newspapers, the daily mail is full of shite like this, lately there's nothing stories about danielle lloyd and that welsh model who was on BB (can't remember her name ironically). It makes me laugh when people post stuff from tabloids not realising that the intention of said newspaper is not to inform you of news but to sell it to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I'm torn - it seems that there are a fair few people who only want to do charitable acts when there's an audience to notice and applaud - on the other hand - someone benefits from the charitable act (however small) and we can always avoid Youtube (or eye-contact if it's someone we know !)
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    It's kinda sad the way a lot of people are so superficial that they only seem to empathise with stuff when there's a video on youtube to support it.

Not as superficial as some celebrities with their riches walking about in Africa whilst preaching on the television trying to get the general public to donate. Well done to the man in buying the homeless man something to eat.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Man uses homeless man to promote himself online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do that often for one fella who used to doss near my old flat.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »

Essentially, yes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This sums up my feelings about it.

People buy homeless people food every day all over Britain. But they don't feel the need to publish a video of it on a video sharing site.

Even though he's wearing the camera for a different reason, I don't think he should have published the video online...

Did he inform the man that the video of him would be published on the internet? It doesn't appear so on the video...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think perhaps more interesting than the 'good deed' the cyclist done, I think the homeless man should be credited for being offered 'anything' he wanted and only taking a drink and a packet of crisps!

Don't get me wrong - it's a nice gesture to buy lunch for someone who is in the unfortunate situation of being homeless... But I think it's wrong to take video footage (there is an off button on the camera, no?) and definitely to upload it online without especially without consent...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Why does it matter if it's on youtube? His Camera was already on before he saw the homeless man so it's not like he looked for it. Good video!
  • Nard DogNard Dog Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kabradoon wrote: »
    Why does it matter if it's on youtube? His Camera was already on before he saw the homeless man so it's not like he looked for it. Good video!

Would he have done it if he had no camera?

:D
  • simonmooresimonmoore Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in London one day when i bought two sandwiches from M&S, I caught up with my mates who said we are going to find place to eat. I had a cheese salad & an egg mayo in my bag and there was a woman with a small child with a sigh saying "Hungary and homeless please help" I gave her the bag which had water and fruit in as well, I just said please take these. She routed through the bag passed it back and said No, I was not expecting owt in return lol. I saved them for the train journey home
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member

This...
  • JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonmoore wrote: »
    I was in London one day when i bought two sandwiches from M&S, I caught up with my mates who said we are going to find place to eat. I had a cheese salad & an egg mayo in my bag and there was a woman with a small child with a sigh saying "Hungary and homeless please help" I gave her the bag which had water and fruit in as well, I just said please take these. She routed through the bag passed it back and said No, I was not expecting owt in return lol. I saved them for the train journey home

Was the child sighing because he was Hungarian or homeless?
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    I've given homeless people food before but they've never been grateful, in this country they're not starving they just want money for alcohol and drugs.
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    aw that video is quite sad. he must have been really hungry to be routing in the bin yet he only asked for some milk and crisps :(
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've done that............homeless chap used to sit outside tesco and I bought a sandwich, cake and can of coke and gave it him..............I suppose even if he'd rather have had money for drink or drugs he still has to eat something sometime........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did this homeless man give his consent to being plastered all over the internet, I wonder? I found that really uncomfortable to watch.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did he say he lost his bus fare to get home if he was homless?
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    Then he decided to put it on Youtube to make himself look good. Lots of people give money to the homeless but dont feel the need to plaster it over the internet.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    I've given homeless people food before but they've never been grateful, in this country they're not starving they just want money for alcohol and drugs.

Yep, they never want food they want money. The worst ones are those who come up to you and ramble on 10mins with some sob story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    When I was homeless a policeman once bought me a Mcdonalds even though I wasn't begging, he had just seen me hanging around Hyde Park all day.
    I thought it was a lovely gesture and he also pointed me in the direction of the Picadilly advice centre and I got into a Centrepoint hostel that night.
    This was almost 20 years ago now but I'd still like to think they'd still do the same for someone nowadays.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel bad. I always walk on by homeless people (particularly if they're in groups and drinking) with my head down as thought they're not even visable. I always think somebody else will give them and quickly forget about them once I've passed them, whilst they're life goes on and on like this.

We didnt see the guy's face so I don't think he did it for attention. It was a nice kind act anyway.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    Why did he say he lost his bus fare to get home if he was homless?

I wondered that too!
    Tiffani wrote: »
    Then he decided to put it on Youtube to make himself look good. Lots of people give money to the homeless but dont feel the need to plaster it over the internet.

Exactly! I find it very hard to understand this man's motivation for doing what he did, ok, it was a nice gesture, but why talk about it, either way you do yourself no favours!