Do you go to the gym?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey gym bugs! Do you go to the gym? If so.. how often do you go?

Comments

• Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A what?
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two years ago I joined the gym. I went every other day for two weeks and watched the soaps on the TV screens they have built into the treadmills. I discovered quickly I much preferred watching the soaps on the couch with a cup of tea and a bar of chocolate, so I did that instead. I never went back to the gym.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I don't go to the gym :o
  • Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Nope.

I have weights at home and go jogging/running about 3 times a week in the local park.

And it's all free too :)
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Yes, three times a week for cardio. and weights and once a fortnight for KM training.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am happy I joined today. Swimming pool and gym suite unlimited for £15 a month. I did get fit and lost weight not long ago without the gym but I really restriced myself and felt quite hindered. I hope though that I do actually go a few times a week or AT LEAST once a week. Will see how the next few weeks pan out!
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I went to join a gym, my trainers blistered me badly, and I forgot to put my "gym t-shirt" in my bag so had to do the induction in my hoody!!

I'm not sure gyms are for me :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I went to join a gym, my trainers blistered me badly, and I forgot to put my "gym t-shirt" in my bag so had to do the induction in my hoody!!

I'm not sure gyms are for me :(

Bless ya. I hope gyms are for me. At work and everything people always say to me "stop running" or.. "you have so much energy". So I will see how this goes. Could build into something. It's like at school.. I was good at netball and that but never stuck with it! I hope at my older and wiser age I actually stick at something. Well I have stuck with my job. Ha. So hopefully I will stick with this.
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I go to the gym, mostly cardio, may start to do weights April/May just to tone up, before holidays

I do cardio at least 5 times per week, and this includes going for a swim, and I try to do the equivelant of 1 mile swimming in the pool, about 40 lengths in this pool

My reason for going to the gym, are purely a health reason, have a problem with my heart, and need to lose at least 5 stones in weight, and Im half way there, have lost just under 3 stones in the last 2 years, and do feel alot better, so 2 more stones to lose to get me, to my ideal weight
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a multigym in my shed, a bit rusty and falling to pieces like me but I have been using it for the past few months and it does wonders for your depression and health.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    No. I work out at home. You just need some free weights and an exercise bike. I was a member of a gym but I found myself coming up with excuses of why I couldn't go every time. I just thought to myself I clearly don't want to be there so why bother going through the farce of making up excuses?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I got a nhs referral through my gp for the local sports centre. I don't like the gym but enjoy the fitness classes and swimming. Doing great for my depression
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thing aboput my gym, its a monthly membership, so come the good weather June/July I can cancel my membership, and start going out on my bike, or go for long walks, all of which are free
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having never been anywhere near a gym or any exercise equipment I suprised myself by starting to do exercise at the age of 64.

The reason for this complete change of life style came after the local council built an adult exercise area in the local park. It is sponsored by some organisation, but I cannot remember who.

Anyway there is an assortment of equipment to use and I really love it. I have been going for a couple of weeks now, every day for about 15 minutes and the difference is amazing. My weight is dropping and my energy levels are so much higher.

Being in a park the equipment is free to use, most of the time it is just myself and my husband using it. We have been all different times of the day and it is never over used.

Just do a google search for adult exercise equipment in (wherever you live) park and see if you have this wonderful facility too.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol at gym bugs.

Yeah I'll go, whenever I can arsed. I don't feel the need to update my Facebook status about it either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Good thing aboput my gym, its a monthly membership, so come the good weather June/July I can cancel my membership, and start going out on my bike, or go for long walks, all of which are free

Yeah I go on long walks and bike rides in the summer too. I will probably bike/walk to my gym then walk/bike back. However this is England. I doubt everyday through June and July it's going to be scorching hot. Ha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    lol at gym bugs.

Yeah I'll go, whenever I can arsed. I don't feel the need to update my Facebook status about it either.

Nah I got facebook but hardly go on it. Rather have an in depth discussion about it on here with you guys. Ha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    Yes I go to the gym, mostly cardio, may start to do weights April/May just to tone up, before holidays

I do cardio at least 5 times per week, and this includes going for a swim, and I try to do the equivelant of 1 mile swimming in the pool, about 40 lengths in this pool

My reason for going to the gym, are purely a health reason, have a problem with my heart, and need to lose at least 5 stones in weight, and Im half way there, have lost just under 3 stones in the last 2 years, and do feel alot better, so 2 more stones to lose to get me, to my ideal weight

Where is there a 40m pool in Glasgow? :confused:

If I was gonna swim a mile in my local 25m pool, it would be 64 lengths.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kick boxing once a week, gym 5-6 times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time I join a gym I get really into it, start improving my fitness but then after a few months I always seem to get a viral infection with all my joints aching, don't go for a couple of weeks and then I've lost the habit again.
    This time last year I was going to spin classes and exercising 4 times a week, now I'm knackered walking up a flight of stairs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined one, But felt intimidated by the others in there, and eventually got bored and did not re-new my membership. Thankfully I went for the 6 months option.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I went to the gym from 2002-2009, then I got an exercise bike and cross trainer, a bench and a set of weights for my games room which also has a sound system and a TV

I currently do cardio 6 days a week (needing to lose a few pounds), I rotate an exercise DVD with the bike and x-trainer for a bit of variety.

Unfortunately I'm not a runner as there's a large park nearby that's popular with joggers.

It'll take 5 years of gym membership fees to pay for the equipment but it'll be worth it.
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I joined a local gym about 10 years ago and went half a dozen times as I couldn't be bothered going before or after work and felt intimidated. I joined the one at work last year and have been going between 3 and 4 times a week for the cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical, rower and bike). I've since lost a stone in weight, lowered my blood pressure to 127 over 78 and am now fitter than I've ever been in my entire adult life.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Used to go 3-4 times a week but I changed my work hours and it wasn't as easy to get there. I soon developed a bad case of Can't Be Arsed Syndrome.

About ten years ago, I joined the branch of L* F*tn*ss in Brum city centre but stopped going pretty soon because the staff were vile - very rude and completely unprofessional.

We've got a new gym opening in May about 100 yards from my house and I'll have to pass it every day on my way home from work so I've joined pre-opening and can't wait to get started.
  • Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way