ITV buys the rights to Birds Of A Feather from BBC

Rui_PhillipsRui_Phillips Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
CLASSIC sitcom Birds Of A Feather is returning to TV after 15 years — with all three of its original stars.

But the 1990s show, which for nine years pulled in audiences of more than 20million for the BBC, will make its comeback on rival ITV.

Actresses Pauline Quirke, 53, and Linda Robson, 55, will start filming eight new episodes in September with co-star Lesley Joseph.

The show’s creators Laurence Marks and Maurice Gran originally approached the BBC — which axed the comedy in 1998 — with the idea of reviving it.

But Beeb bosses only wanted to make a Christmas special.

ITV saw its chance to stage a coup and waded in, offering to make a whole series. That clinched the deal.

An ITV insider said: “The idea has been kicking around for a while and all the cast were up for it. Top brass heard that the writers had only been offered a one-off special at the BBC, so they decided to strike.

“The scripts are great and still crackling with the kind of gags that made it such a big success all those years ago.

“It’s all very hush-hush right now but ITV are delighted that they’ve managed to land it.”

The show ran on the BBC for 102 episodes. It centres on two sisters — hard-up Sharon and well-off Tracey (Quirke and Robson) — who set up home with each other after their husbands are both jailed for armed robbery.

Actress Lesley plays their man-eating neighbour Dorien Green.

The three stars reunited last year for a successful stage version of the show, sparking interest from telly producers.

Lesley, 67, said recently: “People remember Birds Of A Feather so fondly because it didn’t tail off at the end — the standard of the scripts didn’t deteriorate.

“None of us would want to make a new series that was below standard.”

Source

Comments

• JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Just heard this on Daybreak. Seems like it is not confirmed yet. Would like to see it back. I have been watching the boxset over the last few months and saw the stage show in March. However will they ignore the events of the stage show? If they count the story used in the stage show it will make the new series difficult. In case you are seeing the stage show and dont want to know what happens I will put the next bit in spoilers.
    Dorien and Sharon end up in prison at the end of the stage show.

So they will either ignore the events that happened in the stage show or find some way round it.
    Perhaps they get released from prison early or the story will move to a few years later when they are released

Whatever they do it will great to see them back.
  • CloudbustingCloudbusting Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't have good feelings about this. I feel like some things are of their time and that "Birds" was one of them. I wish Linda, Pauline, and Leslie all the best but I don't think I'll be tuning in. I grew up watching the original episodes on the BBC and I don't want to risk tainting happy memories of that.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Linda Robson has confirmed it on twitter
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe any sane broadcastor thinks this is a good idea. I didn't see it or hear much about it, but even if the stage show was a smash hit, that doesn't mean it'll still work on TV. The BBC called it correctly when they passed on Yes, Prime Minister and I suspect they've made the right decision here. I'm surprised they were even interested in a Christmas special, except out of some 'for old times sake' sentimentality.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Just heard this on Daybreak. Seems like it is not confirmed yet. Would like to see it back. I have been watching the boxset over the last few months and saw the stage show in March. However will they ignore the events of the stage show? If they count the story used in the stage show it will make the new series difficult. In case you are seeing the stage show and dont want to know what happens I will put the next bit in spoilers.
    Dorien and Sharon end up in prison at the end of the stage show.

So they will either ignore the events that happened in the stage show or find some way round it.
    Perhaps they get released from prison early or the story will move to a few years later when they are released

Whatever they do it will great to see them back.

The Yes Prime Minister series on GOLD effectively just expanded the story arc from the stage play, so there is no reason why they might not do the same for the itv revival of Birds.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I can't believe any sane broadcastor thinks this is a good idea. I didn't see it or hear much about it, but even if the stage show was a smash hit, that doesn't mean it'll still work on TV. The BBC called it correctly when they passed on Yes, Prime Minister and I suspect they've made the right decision here. I'm surprised they were even interested in a Christmas special, except out of some 'for old times sake' sentimentality.

I think it can work and perhaps a complete break from the BBC is the key to it working. They're three funny actresses and whatever they do together should work in some form. They've proved that with the stage show. I think it's worth giving them a chance. The key will be to not dwell on the past and perhaps go in a brand new direction with the show.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it can work and perhaps a complete break from the BBC is the key to it working. They're three funny actresses and whatever they do together should work in some form. They've proved that with the stage show. I think it's worth giving them a chance. The key will be to not dwell on the past and perhaps go in a brand new direction with the show.
    Would that not defeat the purpose of reviving it though? I can definitely see the appeal of bringing the three women back together to do something, but surely if you're reviving the TV/ stage show of the same name, it has to reference the past and continue in an arc that would be believable for the characters? I say that, though, as someone who stopped watching it around the time the husbands were released from jail (which, IMO, completely altered the tone and balance of the show, very much for the worse), so for all I know they may have departed from its origins long ago.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Birds' could go one way or another. Its fanbase is possibly quite small considering the final episode went out on Christmas Eve in 1998. But then again, it's a comedy that was well liked in its time. I personally think the BBC were right to initially just want a Christmas Special. Reviving old sitcoms is often a fruitless task for broadcasters. The Liver Birds as you mention, is one instance. But then there's Reginald Perrin too. Two seperate "revivals" of that have been a little disappointing. In 2007, To The Manor Born was revived for a Christmas special. A decision to not make a series followed on from that Christmas Day screening. Not because it wasn't popular (it got over 10 million viewers), but because it was felt there was nowhere left to go for the characters and therefore maintaining an audience would have been difficult. I think in this instance, with Birds', having a Christmas Special to gauge interest would have been a good idea with a series to potentially follow if well received.

That said, I wish ITV well with the series. It holds fond memories of the 90's so I will tune in to see if the magic that was lost in the last couple of series' has returned. Sometimes things are best to be left well remembered. But perhaps there is enough interest to warrant a full return. Either that or Joseph and Robson are skint.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bloody hell. This might make Leslie Joseph famous again.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I suppose BBC would rather keep making laugh-a-minute romps such as The Wright Way, Heading Out and Citizen Khan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose BBC would rather keep making laugh-a-minute romps such as The Wright Way, Heading Out and Citizen Khan

What's Heading Out?

But they have had success with Miranda and Mrs. Browns' Boys. And Not Going Out got more viewers than ITV's Vicious and The Job Lot. Plus Citizen Khan gets a steady 3.5 million at 10.35pm. So the BBC are not in dire need of a sitcom as much as ITV.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From all the comedies they could bring back, they bring back this? :confused:
  • benwhobenwho Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Was the stage show a sequel to the original series can someone who watched it tell me what happened thanks also I think the series will continue from series 9 and some of the plot from the stage show will be added in I can't see how they could continue from after the stage show as some fans may of not watched it and it wouldn't make sense to them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    who would want to buy the rights to this rubbish?
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I loved the original and the cast, ITV are doing the old "going through the scrap bin" to see what they can find. Nothing new, nothing original, same old ITV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it still has a fan base, however it could try & build a new one.

If I were ITV, I'd play this one clever - have the much hyped and anticipated returning episode as an hour long Xmas special on Xmas Day (instead of more You've Been Framed!) pitched up against BBC's 9pm Comedy Special.

Follow this up with episode 1 of the new series on New Years Day then every week until the end of it's run.

In the meantime between now & then, repeat the classic episodes on ITV3 - Carlton Select used to broadcast them & it's not an in-house BBC production so it should be easy to repeat, and hasn't been repeated in fiull for years.

Wonder if Matthew Savage will return as Garth....& I wonder which actors they'll choose to play Darryl & Chris if they are written back in...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ozcabs wrote: »
    I'm sure it still has a fan base, however it could try & build a new one.

If I were ITV, I'd play this one clever - have the much hyped and anticipated returning episode as an hour long Xmas special on Xmas Day (instead of more You've Been Framed!) pitched up against BBC's 9pm Comedy Special.

Follow this up with episode 1 of the new series on New Years Day then every week until the end of it's run.

In the meantime between now & then, repeat the classic episodes on ITV3 - Carlton Select used to broadcast them & it's not an in-house BBC production so it should be easy to repeat, and hasn't been repeated in fiull for years.

Wonder if Matthew Savage will return as Garth....& I wonder which actors they'll choose to play Darryl & Chris if they are written back in...

It was commissioned and paid for by the BBC and was recorded at TV Centre. But I do think there are reasons why the BBC only wanted a Christmas special (initially). They wanted a pilot of Yes Prime Minister too. But the writers threw their toys out the pram and took it to GOLD. And that was crap!
  • benwhobenwho Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    What is the plot of the stage show please
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Lesley Joseph making 'I'm a big slag' jokes at 65. This has car crash written all over it.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I thought she was 65 when it was originally on so it's more of the same to me.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birds......was fading when they ended it 15 years ago. Bringing it back now, and with ITV running things, they're going to end up looking like three aged harridans trying to recapture the past.

I like the three actresses but I think I'd rather watch repeats of the original episodes!
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Lesley Joseph making 'I'm a big slag' jokes at 65. This has car crash written all over it.

The only way they could pull it off is if they go the way The Golden Girls did with Blanche. The trick in having an 'old' promiscuous character is to not have her dress like a tart (as Dorien used to), and to have her antics merely alluded to rather than seen. It's also essential that they don't give her lines which are too vulgar.
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Birds......was fading when they ended it 15 years ago. Bringing it back now, and with ITV running things, has car crash written all over it.

It was never earth-shatteringly funny stuff, but a gentle enough way to spend half an hour - mainly through the good cast rather than good writing. It ran out of steam before it finished, though. I guess the success of this revival depends on whether the writers have come up with anything good in their time off the air.
  • aussiewantsaps2aussiewantsaps2 Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No no no no no no just no!!
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If ITV want to bring some old sit-coms back, may I suggest there own The New Statesman and Hot Metal.
    Surely the current Tory Gov and Rupert M would make great targets.
  • RINGWAYMANRINGWAYMAN Posts: 155
    Forum Member

You're probably spot on. And no room in their quality scheduling to fit it in between the likes of Homes Under The Hammer, Bargain Hunt, Escape to the Country, Rip Off Britain, The Cowboy Trap, The One Show.....