Options

ITV buys the rights to Birds Of A Feather from BBC

Comments

• Options
    calatheacalathea Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasnt this on Sunday evenings? I always associated with the depresssion of Sunday evening TV, means school/work in the morning.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    RINGWAYMAN wrote: »
    You're probably spot on. And no room in their quality scheduling to fit it in between the likes of Homes Under The Hammer, Bargain Hunt, Escape to the Country, Rip Off Britain, The Cowboy Trap, The One Show.....

Yeah because if the BBC had picked up BOAF it would have aired in the daytime:rolleyes:
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calathea wrote: »
    Wasnt this on Sunday evenings? I always associated with the depresssion of Sunday evening TV, means school/work in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Haha. Yeah....hearing some old sunday night theme tunes only makes me think of all that horrible homework left till the last minute !
  • Options
    coolasfunkcoolasfunk Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    all together now "Waddle I doooo..."
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calathea wrote: »
    Wasnt this on Sunday evenings? I always associated with the depresssion of Sunday evening TV, means school/work in the morning.

It launched on Mondays. Had two series' on Sundays before having two series' run on a successful Saturday night formula of

Noels House Party
    The Generation Game
    House of Eliot
    Birds of a Feather
    Casualty

then had another two series on Sundays before ending up permanently on Mondays for the rest of its life.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Birds, Sharon always reminds me of my aunty in a way. The stage show was great, saw that last year. If its written well it will be great, if not it might flop
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I loved Birds, Sharon always reminds me of my aunty in a way. The stage show was great, saw that last year. If its written well it will be great, if not it might flop

I personally think it will be a middle hit. Not a flop. Not a hit. Just in the middle. Will probably lead to 4.5- 5m viewers and a second series but not a lot else.
  • Options
    benwhobenwho Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    What is the plot of the stage show please
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given Dorien's age they could get it sponsored by Tenaladies.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Kill me now!!
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I hadn't of seen the stage show a few weeks ago, I would have probably said this wasn't a good idea as most revivals are a major let-down. The stage show was superb though and I found it more enjoyable than some of the original tv episodes.

Bring it on I say!
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV should revisit "Rising Damp", get Al Murray in as Rigsby and Rupert Grint as Alan.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Just heard this on Daybreak. Seems like it is not confirmed yet. Would like to see it back. I have been watching the boxset over the last few months and saw the stage show in March. However will they ignore the events of the stage show? If they count the story used in the stage show it will make the new series difficult. In case you are seeing the stage show and dont want to know what happens I will put the next bit in spoilers.
    Dorien and Sharon end up in prison at the end of the stage show.

So they will either ignore the events that happened in the stage show or find some way round it.
    Perhaps they get released from prison early or the story will move to a few years later when they are released

Whatever they do it will great to see them back.
    benwho wrote: »
    Was the stage show a sequel to the original series can someone who watched it tell me what happened thanks also I think the series will continue from series 9 and some of the plot from the stage show will be added in I can't see how they could continue from after the stage show as some fans may of not watched it and it wouldn't make sense to them
    What is the plot of the stage show please

See my post above. Be interesting to see if they work around this plot or ignore it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I know I read that I just wanted to know the whole storey and he it ended up with that happening thanks
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    'Old birds of a feather'
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Yes I know I read that I just wanted to know the whole storey and he it ended up with that happening thanks

Ok here is the plot. I wont bother with spolilers so dont read on if you are seeing the stage show:-

Sharon and Tracey havent seen Dorien for 15 years. they get a letter from her from a nursing home to meet her. They think she is a resident and even assume she has dies. Turns out she is the manager of the nursing home and still as flighty as ever. One male resident dies and just before he did changed his will to leave everything to Dorien. The police are suspicious. Just before he died Sharon ahd cooked some mushrooms for him which she got from the garden. Turns out they were magic mushrooms so it looked like she may have killed him. This leads to Dorien and Sharon getting banged up for manipulating this mans death. Or something like that. Tha play ends with Dorien chatting up a prison guard and Sharon playing the theme music on a harmonica in her cell! Tracy had split with Darren and Garth was in Australia. Her younger son who she gave birth to in the final episode was now living with her. Thats roughly it in a nutshell!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Ok here is the plot. I wont bother with spolilers so dont read on if you are seeing the stage show:-

Sharon and Tracey havent seen Dorien for 15 years. they get a letter from her from a nursing home to meet her. They think she is a resident and even assume she has dies. Turns out she is the manager of the nursing home and still as flighty as ever. One male resident dies and just before he did changed his will to leave everything to Dorien. The police are suspicious. Just before he died Sharon ahd cooked some mushrooms for him which she got from the garden. Turns out they were magic mushrooms so it looked like she may have killed him. This leads to Dorien and Sharon getting banged up for manipulating this mans death. Or something like that. Tha play ends with Dorien chatting up a prison guard and Sharon playing the theme music on a harmonica in her cell! Tracy had split with Darren and Garth was in Australia. Her younger son who she gave birth to in the final episode was now living with her. Thats roughly it in a nutshell!

Not much substance there for a series. Sounds daft.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure this is wise.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revivals tend to work best when most (if not all) the original cast are involved. The reason why many "revivals" fail is that the audience cannot relate to the same characters played by new actors.

For example if Dad's Army was revived and another actor played Mainwaring people would forever be harking back to the original series comparing the new actor to Arthur Lowe's performance of the character. It would also not feel the same having someone else in the role.

Saying that the BBC has very strange attitudes to programming nowadays. Any programme with a teen/fresh faced cast will get guaranteed commissioning, whilst anything with older people is mulled over and usually rejected.

The BBC needs to grasp that it is all round broadcaster appealing to ALL age groups rather then focus on youth orientated programming during primetime.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately for me, Birds of a Feather jumped the Shark when their men were let out of prison, and Daryll got a new head.

I loved the earlier series with the café, cleaning business etc.

Bringing the men out of prison was a fateful mistake, ruined the show.
  • Options
    rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    glad itv investing more in comedy and not just filling line ups with crime dramas as they have done in past more comedy the betta!
  • Options
    lozblokelozbloke Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I loved this series - even did a couple of episodes myself so I have a soft spot for it! For me it changed when they moved out of Dalentrace and into a smaller house- just didnt seem right then.

Oh and it was filmed at Elstree, then moved to Teddington Studios rather than TV Centre by Alomo Productions and Select TV for the Beeb, rather than being made by the Beeb themselves.

PS Always wanted the Birds of a Feather kitchen! hehe
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't trust ITV with a goldfish.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Can see this being a disaster, a one-off special to remember old times would have been fair enough, but this sitcom and its characters are very much stuck in then 90s and not relevant today.