Hidden Kingdoms 1/3 parts BBC1 20.00

BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
Forum Member
We are being spoilt with a few wildlife programmes at the moment.

Seems the cameras are on par with these small creatures in Africa. We are seeing them from their height.

The little mouse that roared as amazing!

Comments

• Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is great the music and camera work is brilliant
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    it looks like he is pushing a scotch egg about :D:D:D
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Down it went, shame
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    the camera work is amazing
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how much more amazing can they make the photography? The scene with the Tarantula was pure art.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    The mouse roared! Great:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    One of the fakest bbc wildlife shows I've ever seen
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbean wrote: »

Not really completely fake its more 50/50 id say and they did reveal how the made it, which is just as interesting
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member

everything on telly is fake :p
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    too over dramatised for me. to computerised. I have seen better ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    too over dramatised for me. to computerised. I have seen better ones.

Totally agree with you. Stephen Frys boring voice didn't help either, I missed about 15 minutes when I nodded off!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Too much on the effects which took me 'out' of it, too much building the narrative with the voiceover and music, for me.
    That said, it was still interesting and I'll watch part 2.

Straight from this over to part 3 of Wild Brazil, which is more my sort of flavour.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. But, for me anyway, it was still visually stunning, very well done and entertaining none the less.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member

I was a bit shocked at how some of the filming was done but still enjoyed it.
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 131,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I was a bit shocked at how some of the filming was done but still enjoyed it.

They did say at the start of the programme that they would show "recreated" encounters between the various species.
  • shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it and will continue to watch it, but it's a shame that the BBC feel the need to dumb down their wildlife filming with so much 'fake' footage - the BBC are responsible for some of the greatest nature programmes ever without the need to resort to this. As a 'one-off', it's acceptable, but I hope it's not going to be the way forward for BBC wildlife films.
  • ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent and engaging program that was a joy, and tense (for the kids), to watch. Can't wait for the next one!
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant quite decide on this programme.

I think the camera work is amazing, but the fixing of situations of the animals in question and computer work, makes me feel uneasy.

Still yet to decide if I like it or not. Seems a bit to Camera focused to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this one...I know some of it was fake but they were honest about it throughout and it made for brilliant viewing.

I really like the added bit at the end that the BBC sometimes add to their nature programmes where they show you how it was made.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny288 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this one...I know some of it was fake but they were honest about it throughout and it made for brilliant viewing.

I really like the added bit at the end that the BBC sometimes add to their nature programmes where they show you how it was made.

It is just about impossible to film many animals, particular small ones, without some 'fakery'.

Much of the BBC ....Watch series take place with a reserve of some sort - presumably that is classed as fakery?

Is it fakery to put down bird food or a lump of meat for a carnivore?

It is becoming more common now to have cameras in robots, presumably that is fakery as was the famous shots of geese in flight from a vehicle, microlight and camera on another goose?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    My son loved it , quite entertaining, that hawk bit was tense .
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    It is just about impossible to film many animals, particular small ones, without some 'fakery'.

Much of the BBC ....Watch series take place with a reserve of some sort - presumably that is classed as fakery?

Is it fakery to put down bird food or a lump of meat for a carnivore?

It is becoming more common now to have cameras in robots, presumably that is fakery as was the famous shots of geese in flight from a vehicle, microlight and camera on another goose?

What are you on about, with that series of questions?
    I think it's pretty obvious what fakery people are talking about in relation to this program.
    It's the filming of one animal in one place, filming another animal in another place and stitching the 2 separate shots together with a computer.

I missed part 2 anyway and it doesn't seem to be on the server yet, so I can download it.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Well, last nights episode traumatised me :( Thinking that poor chipmunk was going to die and also the tree shrew. I nearly turned off.

Apart from that, I do really like this show as seeing what these tiny creatures have to go through to survive is so sad.

That bearded pig was not a pretty sight tho :o

The only thing that annoyed me is the silly sound effects. I noticed there was a couple last week but it was overload this week.
    Forum Member
    Too much on the effects which took me 'out' of it, too much building the narrative with the voiceover and music, for me.
    That said, it was still interesting and I'll watch part 2.

Straight from this over to part 3 of Wild Brazil, which is more my sort of flavour.

More of the same ^^ for part 2, only caught the last half hour or so.
    Too much narrative and sound effects for me, as good as the footage was, I couldn't concentrate and took to browsing.

Maybe it's my age and what I'm used to, but I couldn't 'take to it'
    I've still got Lost land of the Volcano and Wild Brazil to watch, give one of those a go later.
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 131,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Well, last nights episode traumatised me :( Thinking that poor chipmunk was going to die and also the tree shrew. I nearly turned off.

Apart from that, I do really like this show as seeing what these tiny creatures have to go through to survive is so sad.

That bearded pig was not a pretty sight tho :o

The only thing that annoyed me is the silly sound effects. I noticed there was a couple last week but it was overload this week.

That bearded pig reminded me of someone I used to work with, he was ugly with a scruffy beard and piggy eyes too. :D