When and why do you think The Simpsons started to decline?

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
Forum Member
✭✭
What are your thoughts on this subject matter? I think The Simpsons started to decline around about season 13, with episodes becoming completely unwatchable around season 20. The decline has probably happened due to the writers running out of stories and coming up with very far fetched stories instead

Also, do people have a favourite episode and season of The Simpsons? Season 5 is probably my favourite season, so many classic episodes

Comments

• cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I think season 13 is generous, It declined well before then for me but was just about watchable, Why it happened? Basically they ran short of ideas due to the characters not ageing etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By not allowing the characters to age I feel they may have hamstrung themselves a bit.

They were able to spin stories out of supporting characters like Apu and Mrs. Krabappel.

As for running out of ideas, IIRC when the show really hit its stride (second season), they were producing more than the standard 22 episodes.
    (25 or so, plus Tree House of Horror)
    So they may have burned themselves out a bit, too.

Favorite episode: the one where Homer is accused of sexually harassing the babysitter (the Gummi De Milo ep.) :)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Midway through the tenth season for me. There are good episodes at the start of it, but they get poorer - and season eleven is the first full season in which the tone is noticeably different (not in a good way) throughout. Of course, the show started creaking around the ninth year (as most long-running shows probably do) but if it had ended with ten, it would be considered one of the greatest TV shows ever made. With unwatchable dross now outweighing the high-quality episodes of the first decade, I fail to see how The Simpsons can (overall) be considered a great TV show. It's basically a Saturday morning kiddie cartoon that caters to whatever is in fashion.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

By not allowing the characters to age I feel they may have hamstrung themselves a bit

They were able to spin stories out of supporting characters like Apu and Mrs. Krabappel.

As for running out of ideas, IIRC when the show really hit its stride (second season), they were producing more than the standard 22 episode.
    (25 or so, plus Tree House of Horror) So they may have burned themselves out a bit, too.

Favorite episode: the one where Homer is accused of sexually harassing the babysitter (the Gummi De Milo ep.) :)

I'm not sure I agree with this - in fact, one of the ridiculous things about this terrible show (or I should say, the terrible show this has become) is that Bart and Lisa are essentially teenagers in children's bodies. The writers are quite happy to have Bart involved in teen pregnancy storylines (yes, this happened) despite the fact he's allegedly ten. Lisa is a bitter college student (yes, this happened) trapped in an eight year old's body. They have aged the characters without actually ageing the characters.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Midway through the tenth season for me. There are good episodes at the start of it, but they get poorer - and season eleven is the first full season in which the tone is noticeably different (not in a good way) throughout. Of course, the show started creaking around the ninth year (as most long-running shows probably do) but if it had ended with ten, it would be considered one of the greatest TV shows ever made. With unwatchable dross now outweighing the high-quality episodes of the first decade, I fail to see how The Simpsons can (overall) be considered a great TV show. It's basically a Saturday morning kiddie cartoon that caters to whatever is in fashion.

Seasons 10 and 11 aren't great but season 12 is very good. The moment where The Party Posse meet N'Sync is an all time classic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'm not sure I agree with this - in fact, one of the ridiculous things about this terrible show (or I should say, the terrible show this has become) is that Bart and Lisa are essentially teenagers in children's bodies.

They've resorted to the "flash forward" showing the older versions of the characters,
    the first of which was GREAT, (that Hugh Grant-ish ep. where Lisa is to be married.)
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have thought the last few seasons have been dire. Bart suddenly having a sword scar on his hand a group of friends etc?

Yvan Eht Nioj
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    They've run out of good ideas unfortunately and the plots are becoming increasingly ludicrous, I'm not sure what season it was but the Principal Skinner/Armand Tamsarian episode was perhaps where they 'jumped the shark'. I still enjoy it now and again, hopefully it will be remembered for the good times when it does finish. I agree with a previous poster that they've aged Bart & Lisa and changed other characters too. They're not the ones we know and loved anymore.

Matt Groening and Fox seem to want to keep it going forever though so presumably it's still pretty successful?
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    For me it was around the time of the episode with Mulder & Scully. I think it was 1997, Easter when it aired on Sky 1. It was that ep and the one where homer trips out in the desert and needs a soulmate. Itcomplete nothing episodes.
    It was then I thought - wow this is crap!
    There were good and great episodes since those but that double whammy was the start of the decline for me.

The Armin Tanzarian ep is controversial ... but I actually love the fact they couldn't be bothered resolving it - so they tied the guy to a train while a band played and then pretended it never happened.
    Thats a cartoon thing on a different level; chatacter loses job - has it back in next episode ; scratchy gets blown up - is alive in next scene and so on.

Agree with poster above about Bart & Lisa being teenagers in children's bodies. The one where Lisa climbs the tree would make more sense if she was 12 or 13!
    Ditto the gymnastics one.
    Bart has lost all focus as a character.

Also they are now rewriting "history" left right and centre. Its a pain. That 90s show is a particular low.
    And the future episodes? Ugh just ugh.
    Lisas wedding was a good one and they've pissed on it ever since.

Anyway, I'll still watch ...
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Oh another crap ep from around 96/97 was that April's fools Clip Show where Homers in Coma.
    A good few of the clips didn't even work well with the set ups. It was like they only had access to some episodes and had to make do with them
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it was around the time of the episode with Mulder & Scully. I think it was 1997, Easter when it aired on Sky 1. It was that ep and the one where homer trips out in the desert and needs a soulmate. Itcomplete nothing episodes.

I remember the weekend they were on as well, as I taped them and had them on video for many years.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still a huge Simpsons fan and even though it isn't as good as seasons 1-14 i still think it is a very funny and enjoyable show.

My favourite season is too hard to choose, it's probably a tie between 2,3,4 and 5. Too many great episodes make it impossible to choose a favourite.

One of my favourite episodes is Homer the Heretic, Homer is brilliant in this episode.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not absolute on when it went bad, but I lost interest after Phil Hartman died.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    I think season 13 is generous, It declined well before then for me but was just about watchable, Why it happened? Basically they ran short of ideas due to the characters not ageing etc

I agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I think the Ricky Gervais episode was the turning point for me. I loathe that episode so much. Just poorly written and unfunny.
    Before this abomination I was aware there were patchy episodes, but there would be a funny moment and I always thought even a soso episode was much better than most stuff on TV at the time.
    Now all the episodes seem to be Homer in a new job.
    I'm no longer fanatical about catching every episode but sometimes the new episodes have really good moments.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 10 was a dramatic decline for me, then Season 11 was even worse. Season 15 was pretty good. I've not seen that many episodes from beyond that because every time I try watching one it makes me so cross I can't bear to watch another. It's just not funny any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Turning point for me was Season 8's episode Homer's Enemy. It was nasty and in bad taste.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJonesSCFC wrote: »
    They've run out of good ideas unfortunately and the plots are becoming increasingly ludicrous, I'm not sure what season it was but the Principal Skinner/Armand Tamsarian episode was perhaps where they 'jumped the shark'. QUOTE]
    sam33 wrote: »
    Turning point for me was Season 8's episode Homer's Enemy. It was nasty and in bad taste.

I liked both those episodes. I thought the moment where Grimey went insane was fantastically executed
  • Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first 3 seasons for me were TV Gold. There were also a lot of good episodes further down the line.

I still like The Simpsons and prefer it to the likes of Family Guy which I lost interest in a lot earlier when they began to rehash the same gags over and over again and became a lot more crude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Seasons 10 and 11 aren't great but season 12 is very good. The moment where The Party Posse meet N'Sync is an all time classic

... Even Justin Timberlake is embarrassed by that episode but it was a chance to be on The Simpsons so they took it.

I find that episode with the boyband and trying to bomb Mad magazine absolutely dire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... Even Justin Timberlake is embarrassed by that episode but it was a chance to be on The Simpsons so they took it.

I find that episode with the boyband and trying to bomb Mad magazine absolutely dire.

The ending was a bit silly but other than that the Party Posse episode was great and wccurately showed the boy band culture which was popular at the time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The ending was a bit silly but other than that the Party Posse episode was great and accurately showed the boy band culture which was popular at the time
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,839
    Forum Member
    They stuck themselves in a rut with the characters never aging. You can only tell the same stories slightly reworked so many times. The first few seasons are incredible. It had stories to tell and the show had a heart. That heart has been replaced with a cash machine and the show has completely sold out.

The show became something of a joke when it completely rewrote its past and its history. Every episode about the family's history tells a different story, as do the future episodes.

Particular lowpoints for me include the episode where Homer gets raped by a panda, the Principal Skinner weird episode, the episode where Fat Tony dies and gets replaced by Fit Tony and the episode all about the rag from Moe's pub. I couldn't believe what I was watching.

And there's a whole episode dedicated to the new Lego available to buy?! It's a shame that the show sold out. 10 seasons would have made it's legacy brilliant.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    It is rather disappointing to watch the show nowadays. It used to be pretty flawless where I'd find it difficult to criticize, but then I reached a point where I could barely get through 5 minutes without being bored.

The episode that shocked me due to how little I enjoyed it was the one where Bart gets chased by a vicious dog and meets this drunken cowboy who used to be an actor. A quick look on google says that the episode was 'The Lastest Gun in the West' from season 13. I remember thinking 'God this is awful', since then I've barely watched more than 10 episodes.

When I read that their motivation for carrying on was to beat the record of the most seasons of a TV sitcom (or something) I knew that they had their priorities totally arse-backwards. All about quantity and not quality.
    I think perhaps they should have stopped doing the show 10 years ago, get together all their good stuff and only made Simpsons movies. That's if they had enough good stuff to make more movies?
    The actual Simpsons movie was better than I was expecting and people lapped it up because it's The Simpsons, though it's certainly not as great as a Simpsons movie would have been when the show was in its prime.
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,839
    Forum Member
    Some episodes of recent years do have their funny moments, but the old episodes really got you because it was constant laughs and then suddenly you realised you actually cared about the characters when there was an emotional moment. For lack if better phrasing, it's too much of a cartoon nowadays!